The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

Godfrey

Ohh.. uoops. PL30 is the PL15..sorry. Can't get my brain off eqv. FF lenses.

You have a massive arsenal of weapons ...

I try to keep my photo west or bag armed with 3 maybe 4 lenses and let 2 + 2 be 5 if I just miss the lens I left back home.

Well there are so many lenses to chose from in the 43 world.
Hmm. You know, I never think of my lenses as an "arsenal" or anything to do with weapons. They're my eyes, not my guns. :)

I've heard a lot of bipolar commentary on the Summilux-DG 15mm, same as for the M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8. From what I've seen in the past, that usually means its pretty good. I've intended to get one or the other of them for a bit, but which one I can't make up my mind on. There's also the M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 (now why doesn't Olympus make that one in black finish? silly...). Right now I have the little Panasonic 14mm in this focal length range and while it's pretty good, it's not up to the quality of any of the above three, really.

Ah well. I'm playing with pinholes more than lenses just at the moment. When I stack my FourThirds mount Skink pinhole on the EX-25, onto a FT->mFT adapter, it becomes a telephoto pinhole (about 65mm) on the E-M1 ... :)

G

Last edited:

Godfrey

A couple of pinholes as example:

Olympus E-M1 + Skink Pinhole (40mm in FourThirds mount)
ISO 6400 @ 5 seconds

Olympus E-M1 + EX-25 + Skink Pinhole (40mm in FourThirds mount)
ISO 6400 @ 5 seconds

I think that calculates out to about f/127 or so.

enjoy!

G43

Hmm. You know, I never think of my lenses as an "arsenal" or anything to do with weapons. They're my eyes, not my guns. :)
:) Clearly lenses are our eyes and the light is gunning on them to put it differently.. :)

I've heard a lot of bipolar commentary on the Summilux-DG 15mm, same as for the M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8. From what I've seen in the past, that usually means its pretty good. I've intended to get one or the other of them for a bit, but which one I can't make up my mind on. There's also the M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 (now why doesn't Olympus make that one in black finish? silly...). Right now I have the little Panasonic 14mm in this focal length range and while it's pretty good, it's not up to the quality of any of the above three, really.
I can't say for the Oly 17. It is regarded as one of their weaker lenses, but the PL 15 I had shortly. I was offered a new for exchange but thanked no thankyou. Maybe a bad copy, but I simply found the edges and corners never became sharp regardless aperture. I did neither come along with the presence of CA and flare. I use my 12-40 at 17 mm for the eqv. 35mm view if needed.

The Oly 12 I have is the 3rd copy. The first 2 was faulty. But this one I have today is awesome.

Ah well. I'm playing with pinholes more than lenses just at the moment. When I stack my FourThirds mount Skink pinhole on the EX-25, onto a FT->mFT adapter, it becomes a telephoto pinhole (about 65mm) on the E-M1 ... :)

G
Some very nice vintage look to those images.

:)

Godfrey

A very inexpensive Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror tele (Nikon AI-S mount) arrived yesterday, so I threw it on the E-M1 for a few test snaps. It's in nice shape and handles well, but of course any 1200mm FoV equivalent lens should be on a tripod for best results.

That said, I think it does pretty nicely:

All were transferred as JPEGs to the iPad and processed/uploaded from there.

Not bad for $90!

G

kweide

A little bit more Fashion
From a Sunday Morning in-house shooting

Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 12-40 f2.8, noNR
ISO 100 @ f2.8, 1/200 second, 20 mm focal length​

kweide

Snake
Another one from the same shooting. So made the snake form with a snap of her hands.

Olympus E-M1 + M.Zuiko 12-40 F2.8, NoNR
ISO 100 @ f2.8, 1/200 second, 25 mm focal length​

G43

Thought to show a bit more of my fun with the EM1. This time from some walk around London.

Last edited:

G43

The last ones showing a couple in a restaurant.. and a very known photographer.

Last edited:

G43

Look at the fantastic compression from the tele making the aircraft sized the moon or the moon sized the aircraft :)

Godfrey

They do. A "limited" version or something.
Not easily findable, and ridiculously overpriced when you do. A black version of the lens should be a standard selling edition, to match the black bodied cameras. Dumb to do otherwise, IMO.

G