The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

emr

While I realize that a camera and a lens are just tools, I have to admit that silver lenses on a completely black camera body (like my E-M5) look just silly. I don't really see the point in silver oly lenses either. Black only would be a much better choice since even silver camera bodies have usually lots of matching black. My only silver µ4/3 lens is the 45 mm f/1.8.

Paratom

My first attempts with the EM1 underwater:

This is freshwater, snorchling testdrive without flash.
I will receive my flashes soon so this will be another step.

Paratom

Paratom, what underwater housing did you use for the E-M1? Also which lens?
HI,
after a long debae with myself I decided for Nauticam housing with Panasonic 8mm FE under a FIS Dome. I was also considering the Aquatica housing which seems slightly more solid, but the Nauticam seems ergonomically better for my hands.
I also plan to use the 9-18 and 12-40 under a 170II ZEN DOME.

Not easily findable, and ridiculously overpriced when you do. A black version of the lens should be a standard selling edition, to match the black bodied cameras. Dumb to do otherwise, IMO.

G
Who ever is calling the shots at the marketing dept. at Olympus does not seem to realize that anyone who paid $1250 for a black copy of the 12mm f/2.0 is going to feel seriously played when the black version of the same lens goes on sale at the $799 normal price. Olympus is not endearing themselves to the customer with this kind of behavior.

Godfrey

Who ever is calling the shots at the marketing dept. at Olympus does not seem to realize that anyone who paid $1250 for a black copy of the 12mm f/2.0 is going to feel seriously played when the black version of the same lens goes on sale at the $799 normal price. Olympus is not endearing themselves to the customer with this kind of behavior.
Same thing happens with most products that were initially released as "limited edition" and later instantiated as a standard release when the demand for them proved they were viable in the marketplace. It has nothing to do with Olympus specifically.

People who pay premiums like that for limited edition products should expect it. They're getting what they paid for: exclusivity while the item was limited edition. A friend in the restaurant business once told me that exclusivity was one of the guaranteed best ways to make better profit—it costs very little to provide, everyone wants it, and few who pay the premium really balk about it. Exclusivity is always transitory, you pay the premium for the short term joy of being "one of the few" ...

I just won't pay that exclusivity premium for a lens. I pay it for good service, a fine dining experience, etc.

G

scott kirkpatrick

Campeche, MX

(Weird, huh? It's a multistory parking garage, styled and colored to fit in.)

A very nice old family restaurant, La Parroquia.

The last one is looking out in the direction that pirates used to come from.

scott

All that I have posted so far were taken with E-M1 and the 12-40 mm/2.8 Olympus "professional" zoom.

scott kirkpatrick

Some Mexican designs, from Olmec

to Mayan

to modern Mayan (Zapotista?)

to street (trying not to get all Martin Parr-ish about the bright colors)

scott

G43

Captures in London

LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2
ƒ/3.5 43.0 mm 1/1000 200

LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25/F1.4
ƒ/3.5 25.0 mm 1/500 200

ƒ/4.0 25.0 mm 1/320 200

ƒ/2.2 25.0 mm 1/5000 200

LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2