The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

silver92b

Cool stuff... nice shots.

Why do you think your images are too large?
They look fine now... Right after I posted them, they were huge, had to scroll the screen in all directions to see the totality of each photo... I'm relieved that it's resolved :grin:

Arjuna

They are too large. The forum will only display images to 1200 pixels wide. If you link to a larger image, the forum software downloads the full image, but then re-sizes it to 1200 pixels wide once the load is complete. This uses up bandwidth, and slows the load time. When you link to a larger image, then every time someone views this page, it uses more bandwidth and takes longer to load, but the final result will still be an image that is 1200 pixels wide, or less. In my view, it is more polite to link to images that are 1200 pixels or less in width.

donbga

They are too large. The forum will only display images to 1200 pixels wide. If you link to a larger image, the forum software downloads the full image, but then re-sizes it to 1200 pixels wide once the load is complete. This uses up bandwidth, and slows the load time. When you link to a larger image, then every time someone views this page, it uses more bandwidth and takes longer to load, but the final result will still be an image that is 1200 pixels wide, or less. In my view, it is more polite to link to images that are 1200 pixels or less in width.
+1 to what Arjuna wrote.

@G43 You are killing us with so many images in a single post. Also large white borders are superfluous and consume screen space on mobile devices.

My 2 cents.

Godfrey

Exactly right. As a courtesy to others, I would also limit the number of photos in a single post to three or four at most. (I normally only post one or two in any one post, and add a link to an off-site gallery if there are more.)

G

silver92b

Thanks for validating my concern. I had no idea they were so large. I'll see what I can do to reduce their size.... I stored them in IMGUR after exporting them as JPEGs from LR5 into a separate folder.... I'm not a totally new to this, but obviously I don't know about this issue. Any clues in how to setup the export parameters? I don't want to use bandwidth for no reason... I apologize again.

Arjuna

It's OK. I have been a member here for years, but I only learned about how the images are displayed a little while ago. Mind you, I don't reference externally hosted images when I do post. I think that the solution would be to post a reduced size version of the image on IMGUR, and link to that. Thanks for being observant and concerned.

Elderly

Heard you ... may the Moderator take them out.
I like G43's photographic style and I think it would be a loss if we saw no more of his images (they've all gone as I write this).

But I also felt that there were too many images, which in my opinion diluted the impact of the very best ones (I won't get into the technical bit of what constitutes a sociable image size for those of us that have slow rural internet connections!).

So G43, please don't go away, but please moderate/edit the number of lovely images you post here.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: One view of the "west bank"

The most direct route from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, not the main highway, used to run from a new suburb over the hill past the claimed tomb of the prophet Samuel ("Nabi Samwil"), and through several Palestinian villages.
It was replaced by a modern restricted access dual lane divided highway that lets you cruise past terraced hills showing 2000 years of agricultural improvement, and glimpses of prosperous Palestinian neighborhoods. This town is Englished as Bayt Ghur. You can tell it is Palestinian from the black solar water boilers on the roof, and the minaret, as well as from building style.

For a full resolution image, look here.
Unfortunately, the access to the nice highway is now quite restricted:

E-M1, with PanaLeica 25/1.4

scott

mazor

hmm, what happened to the "fun with E-M1" thread. Does no one use their E-M1 anymore.

Here is one I took at a weetbix event with the 12-40 pro

f6cvalkyrie

still using it, of course, it's a great camera.
Here's a few recent shots ...

Brussels "North"

At the Camera Fair

European robin (Erithacus rubecula)

Siberian chipmunk or common chipmunk (Eutamias sibiricus)

C U,
Rafael

mazor

EM-1 with 50-200 capturing animals in captivity

ISO 640 JPG out of camera

ISO1000 RAW convert

ISO 250 JPG out of camera C-AF tracking used