The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OMD EM1 vs OMD EM5 vs Panasonic Lumix GX7 Noise RAW

Godfrey

Re: Olympus OMD EM1 vs OMD EM5 Noise RAW

Did anybody get the wi-fi to work?
The currently shipping version of Olympus OI Share on iOS is v2.02 and does not include the control functionality for the E-M1. The version that the Olympus rep was showing camera control on when he demo'ed the product was in beta test, and I believe is now going through the approval process to be offered on the App Store.

If you install the current version, you'll be able to connect to the E-M1 with it, but you'll only be able to move image files (JPEGs) around, little else. The new version should up and running soon.

I don't know what the situation is with the Android version at this time. I don't have an Android and don't follow products for that platform.

G

Brian Mosley

OI.Share for Android works well with the E-P5 - though unfortunately, only in iAuto mode. I hope the new version for the E-M1 will add Manual/Aperture priority mode control for the E-P5 also.

Brian

drofnad

More comparisons show that the EM-5 has some better image qualities
There are such words ... , but I find it thus peculiar that in giving print sizes per ISO that the review puts the E-M1 as slightly better than the E-M5 (which gets fewer enumerated assessments --e.g., no mention of "wall prints") !? --to wit:
Olympus E-M1 Review -- Print Quality
Excellent 30 x 40 inch prints at ISO 100/200; a good 16 x 20 at ISO 1600; a nice 8 x 10 at ISO 6400; and a good 4 x 6 at ISO 25,600.

ISO 100/200 produces excellent 30 x 40 inch prints, with sharp detail and vibrant colors, and wall display prints possible at 36 x 48 inches.

ISO 400 prints look nice and crisp at 20 x 30 inches, with good wall display prints possible up to 30 x 40 inches.

ISO 800 also yields nice 20 x 30s, with only mild softening in the red channel and minor luminance noise in some flatter areas.

ISO 1600 shots look amazingly good at 16 x 20 inches, a large size indeed for this ISO
With their latest offering the OM-D E-M1, Olympus has followed in the hallowed footsteps of the E-M5 and taken the quality yet a step further.
-d