The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The GX7 Thread - Images and Observations

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
mazor, I used the EM-1 and the GX-7 side-by-side, but I did not see the resolution difference that the specs suggest (though I recall that the sight picture was a bit bigger on the EM-1). If there was a difference, it did not jump out at men but I will add that this was not my main 'focus' (sorry about that!) at the time; the UIs were.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Kit,

while I definitely respect your view about the GX7 vs. EM1, I must say that it is a VERY PERSONAL VIEW! As is what you state about Sony whatever cameras.

I for myself would not even touch the GX7 anymore after using the EM1, already just for the MUCH better EVF of the EM1. Actually already the EM5 feels much, MUCH better for me than the GX7. And I owned a Sony A900 and sold it pretty fast as I preferred the Nikon D700 at this time. Similar thing happened with the Nex I owned, I always preferred whatever m43 Olympus model. And BTW I still cannot get friend with Sony even today as they offer that wonderful and sexy A7, A7r.

Issue I see with such observations shared here, that some really can confuses people. What is the best for you might be the last for another person and vice versa. So I do not see too much value in such discussions and I actually suggest to be more careful with sharing such opinions!

All the best

Peter

ecsh

Issue I see with such observations shared here, that some really can confuses people. What is the best for you might be the last for another person and vice versa. So I do not see too much value in such discussions and I actually suggest to be more careful with sharing such opinions!

All the best

Peter

Peter
Not to butt in on this discussion, but, if Kit was selling Crack, i would accept your statement about being careful. But, we are discussing cameras as such, and i see no reason for what you say. After all, each person will make their own decision based on what works for them. Kits example happens to fall the way of the GX7, not the Crack pipe.
YMMV
Joe

Rich M

Kit,

All the best

Peter
Hello Peter,

I respect your viewpoint on the E-M1……it's a great camera. I was an inch from completely abandoning the entire m4/3's platform after many years and MANY camera bodies. Nothing excited me…..the GH3 and E-M5 were just a step away from my Pentax K-5iiS, both in size and weather sealing. Sold them both. The Pentax sensor won out. I saw the E-M1 as more of the same.

As I was selling off my last lenses, I worked out a trade for the GX7. I have to agree with Kit. Again, for ME….it is a better camera. I'll be sticking around for a while longer.

Just an opinion though……:D

R

retow

I was an early adopter to the Pens and had them all. Then came the EM5 with which I never bonded because of its ergonomics and over designed menu system. The GX7 is, except for the G1, my first Panasonic, and the best mft body as far as I am concerned. I tried the Em-1 and whilst it is an impressive tool, its DSLR gestalt does feel oversized for the small sensor and for what mft should be all about imho. MFT should take advantage of the small sensor footprint and the resulting compact lens sizes. The EM 1 goes into another direction, bigger heavier, overpriced, trying to be everything to all people. IQ wise, the EM5, EP5, GX7 and EM1 are neck to neck. But the rangefinder inspired styling of the Panasonic wins for me and if the EP6 has an integrated EVF I might buy Olympus again.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter wrote:

Of course; as is yours. And so?
Just wonder what your criteria for a "better" camera really are ????

Let alone IBIS (which is a criterium for me) and the definitely better EVF, but the most important factor for me is that using the EM1 with larger lenses (say a 75-300 or a 100-300) is much nicer and saver to hold than compared to these lenses mounted on the GX7. Also the GX7 is SO tiny, that I could hardly hold and really handle it and I do not have the largest hands.

These are the simple things I ask from a camera (system) and the GX7 does not improve here over the EM1. So I wonder what your real requirements were (except video which is definitely better on the GX7).

Your post sounds just like forget the EM1 because the GX7 is SO MUCH better, which just makes me wonder about - as I mentioned - your real criteria.

And so what would be the arguments?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is too silly. The GX7 and the E-M1 are completely different animals at completely different price points. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford both within the not too distant future, in addition to the GH3, one for travel and casual shooting and one for action and "heavier" work. Which one is better depends on needs and applications.

gekopaca

It seems I'm alone, but I think Panasonic made a big design mistake with the GX7. I recently put my hands on it in a shop (I'm waiting for a Leica-type silent M43 since years!) and was really disapointed where they put the release button - not a classic slightly cambered one in the corner, but a flat profile AFTER the program dial !!!!
Result : impossible to shoot precisely, and, most of all, impossible to shoot with the second phalanx of the finger which is - all leicaists will confirm that - the best "oneself image stabilization" invented in the history of photography.
Japanese ingineers aren't human or what?!?! What's sure, that they aren't photographers… Too bad! IMHO without this default - unacceptable for my use - the GX7 should be the best camera of the year.

mazor

hmm, I think there must be application for both GX7 and EM1 depending on type and style of photography. The EM1 does have phase AF on sensor which allows for older micro four thirds lens to focus quickly.

A good question has anyone compared the focus speed between the EM1 and the GX7 with micro four thirds lens?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ peter: I will comment on the IBIS aspect, as this might be useful to others: the GX7's in-body stabilisation works just fine for stills; I do not need it for video. By example, I have just shot a full weekend of an convention (exercise techniques); I shot one camera (GX-7, 14/2.5) hand-held on a monopod, and the camera movement (following action, panning and tilting) is very pleasant to watch. I intend to post elsewhere on this technique; it's a kind of poor man's SteadyCam; but it works. And when you want to prop somewhere, you open out the monopod and rest it on the floor.

@ Jorgen: I agree with what you write above and (side comment) I love some of your images made with the GH3 on the other thread.

@ mazor: I have a number of the Panasonic primes; they all focus adequately fast on the GX7 and when I used the same lenses on the EM1, I noticed no significant difference; they felt the same. I do not own any zooms, beyond the kit zoom that came with one of the bodies. These are too slow for the venues I have been shooting in, so I stick to the primes.

Last edited:

Tanngrisnir

Let alone IBIS (which is a criterium for me) and the definitely better EVF, but the most important factor for me is that using the EM1 with larger lenses (say a 75-300 or a 100-300) is much nicer and saver to hold than compared to these lenses mounted on the GX7. Also the GX7 is SO tiny, that I could hardly hold and really handle it and I do not have the largest hands.

These are the simple things I ask from a camera (system) and the GX7 does not improve here over the EM1. So I wonder what your real requirements were (except video which is definitely better on the GX7).
LOL! You're kidding, right?

The m4/3 system, above and beyond all other factors, is about a relationship between IQ and SIZE.

The GX7 addresses this far better than does the EM1, and yet you complain that it's 'tiny'?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It seems I'm alone, but I think Panasonic made a big design mistake with the GX7. I recently put my hands on it in a shop (I'm waiting for a Leica-type silent M43 since years!) and was really disapointed where they put the release button - not a classic slightly cambered one in the corner, but a flat profile AFTER the program dial !!!!
Result : impossible to shoot precisely, and, most of all, impossible to shoot with the second phalanx of the finger which is - all leicaists will confirm that - the best "oneself image stabilization" invented in the history of photography.
Japanese ingineers aren't human or what?!?! What's sure, that they aren't photographers… Too bad! IMHO without this default - unacceptable for my use - the GX7 should be the best camera of the year.
Maybe I have Japanese genes. The shutter release of the GX7 is exactly where my finger expected to find it. As for the comparison with Leica, I have noticed that there is a slight price difference between the M and the GX7. Still, if I wanted a camera with Leica ergonomics, I do think I would buy the real thing rather than look for inferior, Japanese alternatives ;)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I must have Nipponese genes too; the shutter button is perfect for my hands.

@ gekopaca: can you do a mirror 'selfie' to show how your finger doesn't fit? And in 30+ years of pro photography, I have never used the second phalanges to release the shutter. I did do a whole lot of Olympic-event standing 50m pistol shooting though, and that means training steadiness and that might have something to do with it.

gekopaca

@ gekopaca: can you do a mirror 'selfie' to show how your finger doesn't fit?
Not necessary, Tom Abrahamsson did it for me :)

On this one he's using a "softie", but I use the same technic without soft release on my Epson R-D1 which have a bulky release button and it's the best "in(human)body stab" I know.

gekopaca

Maybe I have Japanese genes. The shutter release of the GX7 is exactly where my finger expected to find it. As for the comparison with Leica, I have noticed that there is a slight price difference between the M and the GX7. Still, if I wanted a camera with Leica ergonomics, I do think I would buy the real thing rather than look for inferior, Japanese alternatives ;)
Jorgen, be sure I would be more easy to buy a GX7 than a Leica :)
In my case the end of my finger is JUST on the release, but I'm annoyed with the program dial and I must pull up my hand on the camera body and it's not a natural position for me.
Obviously my hands are shorter than your, so I think I have more japanese gene than you :angel:

PS I also tried the Fuji XE-1 and on this camera the place of the release is perfect for me

gekopaca

can you do a mirror 'selfie' to show how your finger doesn't fit? And in 30+ years of pro photography, I have never used the second phalanges to release the shutter.
I just posted a picture of Tom Abrahamsson showing how to shoot like that, but my post is awaiting for moderation.

I did do a whole lot of Olympic-event standing 50m pistol shooting though, and that means training steadiness and that might have something to do with it.
Don't you know the stecher on the hunting guns? (I think it's "hair trigger" in english) On that kind of trigger you have to use the second phalanx to be precise.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
These examples show how tiny details can often be deciding factors when buying (or not buying) cameras, and how individual those detail works from one photographer to the other.

gekopaca

These examples show how tiny details can often be deciding factors when buying (or not buying) cameras, and how individual those detail works from one photographer to the other.
Indeed. So buying a x-E1 instead of a GX7 will break my heart. I use M43 system since 3 years now and I have a bush of very good legacy lenses + M43 adaptors which fit perfectly with my uses. Too bad!

Amin

Result : impossible to shoot precisely, and, most of all, impossible to shoot with the second phalanx of the finger...
I got my GX7 today and I find it very doable to shoot with the soft part of my second phalanx. Have been doing it for the past couple hours. That said, it isn't by any means perfect (requires more effort than on the E-M1, for example), so I plan to add one of these: Gariz Concave Type Soft Button XA SB1 Black Red for Camera Soft Button | eBay

I put those Gariz stick on soft release buttons on nearly all my cameras and find that they are a big improvement in every case. They stick on using 3M and have never fallen off any of my cameras. Just as good as a "screw in" soft release. The only handling issue I have with the GX7 is that I'd like if it had more of a thumb grip (like the recent Olympus cameras), and the hot shoe is so far to the left that I think it will be hard to design a good hot shoe mounted thumb grip.

All that said, I love the camera. Absolutely perfect match for my PL25 in the same way that the E-M1 seems made for my Oly 75.

Quick shot from the first roll, my two-month-old daughter. Shot in terrible light (f/1.4, ISO 2000 pushed at least 0.5-1 stops further in post), but these are her first smiles :).

P1060048 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr