The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD EM-1 Viewfinder blackout delay

Hello All,

I am an avid EM-5 user and really like the camera. The one issue that I have is the length of blackout of the viewfinder or monitor between pictures with single shot AF. The blackout seems to be a couple of seconds though I haven't actually timed it. I do know that it is long enough that it gets in the way of trying to get a fleeting expression in a portrait, for example.

Can someone with the new EM-1 comment on this issue? Is the blackout noticeably shorter?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

George Pappas

kweide

??? The black out period from shot to shot is minimal, never a couple of seconds, no, not on my E-M5 and not on my E-M1. It is present, ok, but only a fraction of a second ...
Is it possible that you have the ANTISHOCK feature enabled ??

Hello and thanks for your reply. The delay I experience is definitely more than a fraction of a second with my EM-5. While it may not be two seconds, it is long enough that I am missing expressions and moments - that is why it is bothering me.

I have tried setting the refresh rate with no meaningful change. I am not sure what the Antishock feature is. I do use the stabilization and would want to do so..not sure if Antishock is the same thing?

I have noticed that I can take images while the viewfinder/monitor is blacked out and the focus continues to work. It is simply that I can't see the image before it is taken.

If I am not using something properly, this will be great news for me..

Thanks again for your suggestion..I will look into it.

George

Godfrey

I don't have any E-M5 experience to compare against, but the shot-to-shot viewfinder blackout and delay on the E-M1 is virtually non-existent to my eye. It's quick enough that I've not noticed it at all, and I've used S-AF mode for most of the photos I've made so far.

G

Brian Mosley

Hi George,

First, make sure you can see the 'cog' menu. Press the menu button, and is the 4th icon down a cog symbol? If not, go to spanner-> cog/evf display option, select this-> cog menu-> on

Now, select cog menu->E and step down the options to Anti-Shock-> Off

Hope that works for you.

Cheers

Brian