The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Ancient GH3

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I had a GH3, but for many reasons sold it and bought two GX7s; video is my main need these days. I bought a GX1 for a third camera ($179 Adorama); and it also produces lovely video.

I know the GH3 has the all-I frames codec, etc., but for my needs (downloadable products and YouTube clips) that's complete overkill. I am very happy you like your GH3; certainly it's a 'pro' camera.

The bigger picture (IMO) is that µ4/3rds is become a mature format. I have been tempted by the Sony A7, but reports of focussing problems has left me in the unusual position of not being an early adopter. I do have some very once Oly glass that can be used on both FF and µ4/3rds, and for me, the two formats may well be able to be used side by side in a way that (lens-wise) makes far more sense than using APS-C and FF together.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Kit,
What I like about the GH3 is the combination of handling, image quality and video quality. I bought mine second hand for a very nice price (60% of what I would have had to pay for the E-M1). I'm travelling with the GH3 right now and I couldn't be happier. Here's one from today, an 80 year old farmer that I met in the rice fields towards the end of a long day harvesting rice.

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/3.5

mazor

Jorgen Udvang, love your 75mm 1.8 shots!! I really need to get one of these lens!! Just need to find one at the right price.

mazor

Yes, it does, although slowly. Takes 1-2 seconds, which sometimes feels like 1-2 minutes :rolleyes:
It does produce the most beautiful photos though :)

It autofocuses with the GH2 as well, probably even slower, but I don't have that camera with me, so can't compare. With the E-M1, it focuses as if it were on a DSLR camera. A very nice combination :)
hmm, wonder how well this lens would focus say on a Olympus EM1?

ohnri

Image quality is clearly better than the GH2, but high ISO can't follow the E-M1. Neither can the IBIS obviously, since this Panasonic doesn't have that feature, nor the AF of moving subjects. The plan is to buy the Olympus a bit later, but I have to admit this camera feels very, very right in my hands :)
The GH3 is comparable to the EM-1 and EM-5 at high ISO. It also focuses faster in low light than the EM-5.

I really only choose my EM-5 over my GH3 when I want to use either my 75mm f1.8 or 75-300mm Olympus lenses. The EM-5 quality just seems a bit higher with these lenses. Also, since they are on the longer side and not internally stabilized, the IBIS is helpful.

Enjoy your GH3.

Best,

Bill

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The GH3 is comparable to the EM-1 and EM-5 at high ISO. It also focuses faster in low light than the EM-5.

I really only choose my EM-5 over my GH3 when I want to use either my 75mm f1.8 or 75-300mm Olympus lenses. The EM-5 quality just seems a bit higher with these lenses. Also, since they are on the longer side and not internally stabilized, the IBIS is helpful.

Enjoy your GH3.

Best,

Bill
The only reason I would choose an E-M5 over the GH3 is the IBIS, and that's rarely needed with wide aperture lenses. It's also a bit smaller. I'm afraid I don't understand your argument about image quality with Olympus lenses. I don't see any difference between the GH3 and the E-M5. I don't own and E-M5, but I have access to one on a regular basis.

What the GH3 does offers over the E-M5 are:

- Better ergonomics
- Much better video quality and functionality
- Larger battery
- More useful movements of the LCD

With the E-M1, that changes a lot due to this cameras superior AF and comparable ergonomics.

clay stewart

Nice work with that ancient camera, Jorgen. I couldn't resist hitting the "buy it, with one click" button, when they dipped below 700.00, for a short time, on Amazon the other day. Now, I'm kind of excited to get it, after seeing your work with it.

I'm glad to hear they sorted out the flash on it. I noticed they made improvements with the flash from the GH2 to the G6, so I'm happy to hear the update made it into the GH3, as well.

nostatic

The only reason I would choose an E-M5 over the GH3 is the IBIS, and that's rarely needed with wide aperture lenses. It's also a bit smaller. I'm afraid I don't understand your argument about image quality with Olympus lenses. I don't see any difference between the GH3 and the E-M5. I don't own and E-M5, but I have access to one on a regular basis.

What the GH3 does offers over the E-M5 are:

- Better ergonomics
- Much better video quality and functionality
- Larger battery
- More useful movements of the LCD

With the E-M1, that changes a lot due to this cameras superior AF and comparable ergonomics.
fwiw I just sold my E-M5 and have been shooting the GH3 for a few weeks, and just picked up the GM1. I also briefly flirted with the GX7 and while I still keep looking at it (especially with the $200 off at the moment), I find the GH3 just works ergonomically. Also, it is the only one of any of the usual suspects that will shoot video non-stop for long periods of time (e.g. up to two hours, AVHCD). The GH3 is perfect to put on a tripod, focus, hit the red button, and leave it alone to capture an event.

The GM1 is really a spectacular engineering feat. It handles like a small point and shoot - one hand, holding it with thumb/middle finger and index finger on the shutter (assuming you are already at the zoom you want if you're using the kit lens). the body and kit lens fits in the same tiny bag that used to carry DLux4/S110. Incredible.

The GX7, while might be a Goldilocks camera for some, was kind of in-between handling-wise for me. Not enough of a grip for me to really "grip", and too big to shoot like a P&S. Depending on your hand size and how you like to shoot though I can see the attraction. The one other issue I had was constantly hitting the Q button.

I loved the EM5 but had to run the grip on it to be comfortable. The IBIS was great, but video was pretty lacking

I keep coming back to the GH3 though. That body with the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 is an incredibly versatile package that fits my hand perfectly and is way smaller/lighter than an equivalent APS-C or FF. And I can still slap a prime on it and work that way. I haven't bonded with a camera this well in awhile.

Matix

fwiw I just sold my E-M5 and have been shooting the GH3 for a few weeks....... I find the GH3 just works ergonomically.

The GX7..... Depending on your hand size and how you like to shoot though I can see the attraction.

I loved the EM5 but had to run the grip on it to be comfortable. The IBIS was great, but video was pretty lacking

I keep coming back to the GH3 though. That body with the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 is an incredibly versatile package that fits my hand perfectly and is way smaller/lighter than an equivalent APS-C or FF. And I can still slap a prime on it and work that way. I haven't bonded with a camera this well in awhile.
Very interesting comments... I agree with the above, kind of sums up my experienc, I totally agree with the last paragraph....'I haven't bonded with a camera this well in awhile.' statement.

I had the opportunity to pick up the E-M1 last week, a local store offered me one at a good price, someone had ordered a body and cancelled, so they asked me to try it, and if I liked it they would negotiate the price.

So....not really thinking too much, wondering if in fact it was better than the E-M5 I had owned over Xmas last year, I took it out for a trial.

My opinion? The same as the E-M5 in the area of ergonomics, not a pleasant feel in the hand, the grip did not feel right, yes it was now part of it, but still too small in my hand, and felt alien to what I had grown to like about the GH3.

I ran some comparison shots, with both cameras... stills of course, not really interested in video that much... my 'tweaked' GH3 settings were to my eyes no different to the E-M1 images, so back it went and now at least I know.

IMHO, no advantage to make the change, and in fact I felt I would not feel like it belonged.

So, I will keep the pair I have. The GX7 and the GH3 are a good pair to have with me on the next trip, I leave for the UK for 5 weeks in less than 2 weeks... and the kit is the way I want it... as I said a while ago, we are lucky to be able to fine tune our choices of gear, while not having to compromise.

Phil

PS. I was out with Rover the dog today... Yes the GH3 is an 'Ancient Model', and my original 4 years old Lumix 14-140mm is even more 'Ancient' and 'Out Dated', but they are a great walk around combination. Nothing special, both images out of camera JPG's, no adjustment at all except resizing, using my C2 settings only.

GH3, f/8 @ 95 mm, 1/500, ISO 200, 14-400mm

GH3, f/6.3 @ 15 mm, 1/200, ISO 200