The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Ancient GH3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting points of view regarding the GH3, and I agree with all of them. It's a miniature pro body that can be tailored to my specific needs far more than any other camera that I've used.

Here's another one from up north:

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 and 1/125s

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Last edited:

biglouis

Jorgen

Excellent work - very compelling images with lovely tones and clarity. Looks like you have a winner!

LouisB

Tesselator

GH3 looks nice! I sure wish it had IBIS! Right now here they go for about $750 to $800 lightly used and minty which is still about $250 more than I wanna pay… So for me I'll waiting a bit longer if indeed I don't go for the OMD instead.

Thanks for starting this thread Jorgen!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Louis and Tess. The GH3 is indeed a pleasure to use. I miss phase detect AF more than I miss IBIS (never had that anyway), but the really great thing is that the camera gives much of the same feeling as a big Nikon, only with less than half the weight, easier menus, much better video and more adaptability than I've ever dreamed about.

Here's one from today. Unfortunately not as cute as some of the above, but one has to use what's available :)

GH3 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 33mm and f/5.6

Tesselator

Thanks!
Ya, IBIS is good for manual situations in low light. Well, you have LBIS so you already know all that… The difference is that sensor based corrections are a tad more robust and can be used with any lens! So imagine putting your Zeiss C/Y 100-300mm manual zoom on and getting 4 out 5 shots razor sharp at 1/10s or so. As it is now I can only get 1 out of 5 or 6 shots sharp at over 200mm with less than 1/20s. So it just gives ya more play with manual glass before having to pull out the tripod.

Hehe, and we're the opposite in this in all. I never use AF almost at all so I wouldn't know or miss any particular kind. I'm a manual focus boy! :D

Matix

I guess the GH4 will have IBIS as well as 4K (and RAW movie?) :)

Unfortunately, it will also have a price tag :(
For sure the E-M1 has a couple of nice features, if it only had the body look and feel of the GH3, I likely could be swayed. Honestly, the advantage of the brilliant IBIS while an advantage for some occasions and non Panasoni lenses, would not be enough make me tolerate the less than optimum ergonomics, undersized look and feel, and the glaring lack of an onboard fill flash when needed, not to mention the less than intuitive menu system.

Strictly my opinion of course, I respect the decision of other users and note the popularity of the E-Mx series has done wonders for m4/3.

Phil

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For sure the E-M1 has a couple of nice features, if it only had the body look and feel of the GH3, I likely could be swayed. Honestly, the advantage of the brilliant IBIS while an advantage for some occasions and non Panasoni lenses, would not be enouth make me tolerate the less than optimum ergonomics, undersized look and feel, and the glaring lack of an onboard fill flash when needed, not to mention the less than intuitive menu system.

Strictly my opinion of course, I respect the diecision of other users and note the popularity of the E-Mx series has done wonders for m4/3.

Phil
This is just funny!

I would exactly argument the other way round with regards to EM1 versus GH3 - actually 180 degrees opposite!

So what are all these argumentations and opinions really worth! Finally it comes to the user behind the camera and what he/she feels. Anything else is like beating a dead horse again and again

Strictly my opinion of course :rolleyes:

Matix

This is just funny!

I would exactly argument the other way round with regards to EM1 versus GH3 - actually 180 degrees opposite!

So what are all these argumentations and opinions really worth! Finally it comes to the user behind the camera and what he/she feels. Anything else is like beating a dead horse again and again

Strictly my opinion of course :rolleyes:
Haha, yes we do have opinions.. the most important thing as you say, is the user behind the camera and what they feel. That was my reason for the post, just to express MY feelings, two great cameras so one has to make a decision based on personal subjectivity.

I was not meaning to be derogatory at all, and I do not read that into my comments, many have expressed similar in other posts. The point is, the disadvantages to ME outweigh the possible advantages.

With all due respect and not meaning to offend anyone....

Phil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Haha, yes we do have opinions.. the most important thing as you say, is the user behind the camera and what they feel. That was my reason for the post, just to express MY feelings, two great cameras so one has to make a decision based on personal subjectivity.

I was not meaning to be derogatory at all, and I do not read that into my comments, many have expressed similar in other posts. The point is, the disadvantages to ME outweigh the possible advantages.

With all due respect and not meaning to offend anyone....

Phil
Phil,

fully agree!

I just yesterday made the experience again that what is the greatest for one photographer is maybe only average for another while testing the GX7. This camera is praised so high and it is nice, but actually handling it and looking through the EVF turned me off. The camera feels cheap compared to the EM1 and the EVF does not even come close. Let alone ergonomics for my taste of the EM1 are MUCH better. And even size wise I do not feel the GX/ is much smaller while handling it or carrying it, especially when used with identical lenses. Actually the GX7 with kit zoom is too big for me to see an advantage size wise.

But again this is just me and others feel different. Same is with GH3, which per se would be a great camera even for me, if there was not the EM1.

Hope this helps to understand why I answered.

Peter