The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Ancient GH3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
GH3 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 42mm, f/11, 2.5s and ISO 125

Here's a little high ISO test. It was so dark that I didn't see the woman under the trees to the right.

GH3 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm, f/3.5, 1/60s and ISO 12,800

GH3 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 50mm, f/3.5, 1/60s and ISO 12,800

Godfrey

Lot of lovely photos, Jorgen! I have no trouble with the notion that the GH3 is a delightful camera. Heck, even the G1 produced remarkable quality photos.

There is much to like in most of these modern marvels. Whichever one does the job you want and makes you happy using it is all that matters ... After that, it's all in the photos. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
All wonderful photos Jorgen!

I think that the latest incarnations of all cameras up from M43 to FF produce pretty perfect results. So we do have a wide choice as photographers. Exciting times!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Godfrey and Peter. It has indeed come to a point where feature set, lenses and ergonomics are the deciding factors for camera choice, like it used to be with film. The cameras all deliver image quality that is good enough for most of what photographers do.

... and GAS :ROTFL:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Lovely images, Jorgen. The portrait above is compelling.

Nostatic wrote:

Also, it is the only one of any of the usual suspects that will shoot video non-stop for long periods of time (e.g. up to two hours, AVHCD).
The GX7, my preferred µ4/3rds body, will shoot AVCHD video until the card is full. Only MPEG4 files are limited to just under 30', and that's a limitation of the file type, I understand (4Gb limit, from memory). I use two GX7s and a GX1 for video shoots and they perform well, and the Wasabi batteries I use allow over 1.5 hours continuous shooting.

I agree with other's sentiments re. these cameras: they are good enough and now it's up to us. I have been looking at the A7, though, as I have some excellent Oly glass, and the µ4/3rd's crop factor takes much of the fun out of these.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, Kit.

I believe the 30' limit in some countries is also due to taxation rules. Above 30', cameras are taxed as video cameras, apparently at a higher rate.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
That's true too, Jorgen; two separate things as far as I know. In the EU zone (and in Australia) the old PAL/NTSC distinction is still present; in the PAL countries, a camera that can shoot videos longer than 30' is taxed at that higher rates (taxed as a camcorder, I believe).

But the MPEG4 limit is something else, apparently to do with limitations of the codec's capacity to handle files larger than a certain size; I thought 4GB, but it might be 2GB; perhaps someone else can add something.

In the case of my GX7 bodies, I bought US-sourced ones for exactly this reason. For my video work, 720p/30 is a perfect size/rate, and only the "NTSC" bodies have this frame rate (in addition to 60 and 24fps). It's a silly distinction in these days of HD. It beats me why the Australian A7 and A7r bodies have stuck to the PAL/NTSC divide; locally sourced cameras are 50 and 25 fps, meaning that to mesh with my other cameras, I will need to source one of these from the US or Canada, too.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 and ISO 3200

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 and ISO 3200, was almost 2 stops underexposed

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm increasingly impressed with what this camera can do. The magenta spots in this photo are reflections from the stage. This is a crop of around 50% of the photo, and I think I can print it at at least A3 format without visible noise. Will try that later today.

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 and ISO 6400

I also made some video from this concert, and the quality is very, very impressive too.

mazor

Jorgen Udvang loving these shots from your GH3, and the Oly 75mm f1.8. I really need to get one of these lens for my E-M1!!