The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Ancient GH3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I tried the X-T1 side-by-side with my GH3 today. The Fuji is a nice, little camera, and I love the old style user interface. But apart from that, and an obvious hike in image quality, particularly at high ISO, the GH3 has better ergonomics, faster AF and obviously unrivaled video quality. As a work tool for what I do, the GH3 is the winner. Good for me :D

mazor

Hi Jorgen, this is indeed very interesting that you have tried the new X-T1 and found the AF is not even as fast as the ancient GH3!!

Does this mean that Fujis new faster AF is not the "world's fastest AF"???

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen, this is indeed very interesting that you have tried the new X-T1 and found the AF is not even as fast as the ancient GH3!!

Does this mean that Fujis new faster AF is not the "world's fastest AF"???
Don't know. I may even be wrong. I used the two cameras side-by-side in a somewhat sparsely lit camera shop. Also, the Fuji had the kit zoom with a max aperture of f/2.8 mounted while I used the 75mm f/1.8 on the Panasonic. However, the Panasonic gave a feeling of immediately getting there, while the Fuji kind of hesitated. The difference turned even more in the GH3's favour when trying to focus at low contrast objects, where the Fuji didn't respond at all.

What it boils down to is that these two cameras are made with totally different philosophies behind them. The Fuji may focus fastest under the right conditions, and it's a dream to use for slower paced photography. The GH3 is a machine with little or no personality. It simply does the job without further ado. I've compared it to the D3X (which I don't own) before and that comparison is still valid. It's a somewhat misunderstood camera that will do the job whatever the circumstances are. For a romantic holiday to a tropical island, I would choose the Fuji.

mazor

wow, thanks for the report. I am simply adoring my E-M1 for totally mind blowing AF locking speeds. I wonder if there is a site where they compare the likes of the Xt1, EM-1 and GX7 for mirror less AF performance.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Remember that the E-M1 has one big advantage over the GH3: Phase Detect AF, which makes continuous AF much faster, better, more reliable etc.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This scene totally made my day; a mother helping her sons with their homework outside their modest dwellings in Yangon. The black buckets on the wall are the fire extinguishers. The photo is taken some 20 meters from the train photo above.

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 and ISO 3200

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Always great shots from your GH3, Jorgen. I think you're set. :)
Thank you Godfrey. Having used this camera for a while, I've had a few positive surprises, the most significant being how the images changes character in a positive way at higher ISO values. The grain that is visible, particularly at 1600 and 3200 ISO, adds to the images and gives them more punch with rich, saturated colours without losing much detail at all. For someone like me, who prefer photos that tell a story and have a life on their own, that's an incredible bonus, and I much prefer this compared to the more "sterile" output from some other cameras.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8

GH3 with PanaLeica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 @ 22mm and f/3.1

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
getDPI ate my post AGAIN (timed out); damn, that frustrates me. I was researching, dammit.

Jørgen you wrote:
The GH3 is a machine with little or no personality. It simply does the job without further ado.
I fond exactly the same. I sold none, because I had high hopes for the X-E1/2, but their video sucks. So, I ordered a G6 and I expect it will be very much like what you wrote about the GH3.