The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Ancient GH3

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jørgen, I'm a geek and I know that and I forget—every time! I am still on the personal-view site researching this body; all report are excellent and yet this body is available for peanuts, everywhere. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jørgen, I's a geek and I know that and I forget—every time! I am still on the personal-view site researching this body; all report are excellent and yet this body is available for peanuts, everywhere. I don't get it.
I forget it too all the time.

Which body? The G6? I just bought the G5 for a friend of mine. Less than $500 with a lens, and it's fantastic. The G6 is apparently much better. Some Panasonic managers called it the GH2.5 in an interview. That says a lot. Unfortunately, I don't need one, having the GH1, the GH2 and the GH3 :ROTFL:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Yes, the G6. It's so inexpensive now from B&H and I have most of the primes... so I all report back when it arrives. All the GHs, eh? That's a lot of GH!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
"Burmese sunset" is my fave in that group. She is dressed like a nun, but with that hair, she can't be one, can she? A lovely attitude caught perfectly.

Re, G6; should arrive soon. Over at personal-view, there are 43 pages of posts... and most are praising the standard SOOC video, so this is a very good sign!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, Kit,
In some Buddhist countries, Myanmar and Vietnam that I'm aware of, but there are probably others, women who participate actively and organised at the temples often wear a dark brown outfit when visiting sacred places, in this case the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon. In Myanmar, female monks wear a pink robe. In other countries, like Thailand, female devotees as well as monks wear an all white outfit. In Thailand however, female monks are not called monks in the local language, and very few of them obtain the right to wear the "real" monk outfit, which in Thailand is mostly bright orange and sometimes ocher yellow.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about these things, but with regular visits to Myanmar, a country where the devotion to Buddhism is particularly strong, I hope to earn more knowledge if time permits.

It's kind of fun having been able to follow a camera series from the outset, and since the very worn GH1 has little monetary value and the GH2 is needed as backup, I see no reason to sell any of them. I plan to buy the GH4 as well obviously, but will probably wait until the price has fallen somewhat :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
This is no doubt OT, but your remarks re. monk's and nun's dress resonates with me (I regularly attend monasteries in Australia and Malaysia for both the Buddhist workshops that I co-present with an ex-monk colleague and for self-retreats). And the vinaya (the rules) vary enormously from country to country. This part of this thread is probably of no interest except to us, but I will be paying attention to your Myanmar visits, for sure. The locals' devotion is extremely moving, and many of your photographs reveal this well.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jørgen, the G6 arrived yesterday; I already have two GX-7s and a GX-1, but the G6 is—well, I am looking for superlatives. First (and this is amazing to me), and speaking about video, my iPhone can control every aspect of shooting solo that I need. And the little pancake 17/2.8 (so, 34mm EFOV) is perfect for the kind of demo videos I shoot, but the ETC control means that this same lens behaves as a 68mm lens for head and shoulder interview-type footage. I had forgotten this; it works perfectly.

And because I am using pinpoint AF, the image is magnified momentarily—so I can be sure that I (or an interviewee) is in perfect focus before I roll.

And the thing is tiny; no reviews has mentioned this, and it feels fantastic in the hand. There's more but I don't want to clog this thread (and the video is superb, too).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And the thing is tiny; no reviews has mentioned this, and it feels fantastic in the hand. There's more but I don't want to clog this thread (and the video is superb, too).
The fact that it's so tiny but still maintains the ergonomics of a large DSLR is one thing that really sets the G6 apart from the crowd. On paper, it isn't much smaller than a Nikon D5300, but in reality... WOW. Still, direct control buttons, viewfinder, live view and not least video quality are oceans ahead. I'm looking forward to read about your experiences.

Does it use the same batteries as the GX7?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have found the interface more intuitive than the two Fuji X-E bodies (and more Fn buttons), actually, and that's unexpected. OTOH, the G6 body is not waterproof, but I do not need that presently. I will take an image of it with the Oly pancake (which for video and small jpegs is a 34 and a 68mm EFOV; how madly handy that will become on set). The package is amazingly compact yet, as you say, button placement and operation is a piece of cake.

No re. the batteries: different to G-7's (quite a bit bigger) and not the same as the GX1's either. OTOH, this means easy recharging at the end of the day, because I can change all batteries at once. Now that I have this body and the GX-7s side by side, I am really surprised that the G6 has not got more traction in the market. With its all-metal body the GX-7 feel more solid, but the G6 is lighter and yet feels really well made. I am selling the two Fujis today (the video—there's no comparison). And price-wise there's no comparison, yet the sensor is identical (I just tried the peaking function and it works perfectly, though I find the magnified view just as effective for me, and that's another advantage over the GH-3 for legacy lenses, I feel).

Perhaps later this year I will get a FF mirrorless, but the only Sony that grabs me (RX1) does not have a built-in viewfinder and the clip-on ones don't work for me. IF a Sony RX comes out with a built-in finder (even if its 2cm taller) and a 45–50mm lens, then I will reconsider.

monk

Ollie the Kookaburra waits for his breakfast of veggie ham (we rinse the salt out of it first) in the rainforest of Mudgeeraba, Queensland. Good bird! Lumix GH3 with the Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4