The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question on Oly 50mm f2 macro

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am considering this lens as an AF prime for my G1. (I have the adapter.) My questions are:

1) How is the optical performance (mainly center, and at normal portrait distances) and Bokeh of this lens wide open?

2) How good is it optically (corner to corner) when stopped down to f5.6 or 8 and used at normal shooting distances?

3) How fast is the AF?

Thanks!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jack - I had, and used, this lens with my E420 kit for a few months over the summer.

In short, the Oly 50 f2 macro is the best Oly 4/3 lens that I've ever used. It's simply stunning in terms of it's image quality. Very nice bokeh, extremely sharp (even wide-open), and razor sharp to the edges by f4.

When you consider the low price, it's a no-brainer to own this lens.

What an amazing 100 f2 (equiv) for the G1!

The only down-side is the AF-speed. Since it's a macro lens, it has a longer focus-throw, and a slower AF speed, when focusing from near-to-far (or vice versa). AF is accurate, but slow.

Mike

jonoslack

Hi Jack
Mike has it . . . in fact, I think this might just be the sharpest lens I've owned . . . .but remember, it'll be manual focus on the G1, and it isn't that small.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the link -- this looks very good except for flare.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack
Mike has it . . . in fact, I think this might just be the sharpest lens I've owned . . . .but remember, it'll be manual focus on the G1, and it isn't that small.
I thought the Panasonic G1 to 4/3 adapter maintained AF with other AF 4/3rds lenses -- am I wrong on that?

Brian Mosley

Hi Jack,

there's a chance the ZD 50 will get a firmware upgrade, but for the moment it's MF only on the G1... don't let that put you off, it's optically superb.

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

I thought the Panasonic G1 to 4/3 adapter maintained AF with other AF 4/3rds lenses -- am I wrong on that?
Yes
currently, only a couple of the other 4/3 lenses will auto focus (there may be more later). 9-18 is one important one, and otherwise I think it's just the kit zooms.

Lupo - manual focusing with the 50 on the G1 is a breeze - easy and efficient.

P

psurfer

It sounds like a great lens, but I'd like to hear how you ZD macro owners feel about the "feel" of manually focusing it in its macro range? -I mean the ease of control of precise little changes in very fine focus that legacy manual macro lenses allow w/their smooth focus action. I haven't used that fly-by-wire system yet, so don't know if it would feel limited in comparison.

eg, you're close, near 1:1 on let's say, a golfball (whatever), and you finesse the focus ring back and forth, watching first the nearest golfball dimple, then that next further out golfball dimple gradually going in & out of focus, until you've got the plane Exactly where you want it. -Does the ZD50 lend itself well to that, or do the jumps in its electronic focus steps occasionally dictate where your focus has to be?

phobus

The 50 is an awesome lens but the AF on it is slow and loud compared to the G1 kit lenses. Fine focusing is great with it though -- I mainly used mine with my e-420 in Live View mode 10x zoomed in, it is Very precise.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jack,
I have Mike Hatam's former 50 macro on my G1 and I love it. It is manual focus, but the focus is smooth and it is possible to put the focus exactly where you want it. It is an excellent lens. I am looking forward to seeing what my Leica 50 f/1.4 pre-ASPH will do on the G1 when the adapter arrives. Of course, it won't be AF either.
BTW, the Oly pancake 25 f/2.8 has been updated to AF on the G1. I don't think that was mentioned above.