The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hello Olympus

les

Have you noticed that Fuji have launched a firmware update for one of their cameras? It's not for one of the latest models, it's for a slightly older one, you know, kind of like the EM-5.
You could do that sort of thing too, it wouldn't do brand loyalty any harm. Just sayin,

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

I have the X100, and personally felt a wave of gratitude and enhanced loyalty towards Fuji when they made this simple gesture. I can't imagine how valuable it must have been to the Fuji brand to put out a firmware update for a (relatively recent) previous generation camera.

Come on Olympus, the E-M5 is a truly classic camera - your loyal user base is hoping you will give it the support it deserves.

Kind regards

Brian

Knorp

And I support all you all have said ;), but what we'd like to have changed I wonder :confused:

Kind regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would like Olympus to sell E-M1 seeds, so that I can grow E-M1 bodies in my garden, using chopped, older Olympus bodies as fertilizer ;)

Annna T

Have you noticed that Fuji have launched a firmware update for one of their cameras? It's not for one of the latest models, it's for a slightly older one, you know, kind of like the EM-5.
You could do that sort of thing too, it wouldn't do brand loyalty any harm. Just sayin,
Sorry to damp your enthusiasm, but here is what Olympus-Chefdesigner Toshiyuki Terada answered to that suggestion :

"Wann kommt ein Nachfolgemodell oder Upgrade zur E-M5? Könnte Olympus nicht ein Softwareupgrade für Geld anbieten?

Ein E-M5 Nachfolger wird es erst in 2-3 Jahren geben. Ein Upgrade wird es nicht geben. Es entspricht nicht der Philosophie von Olympus Softwareupgrades für Geld anzubieten."

Translation :
Q : When will a successor or an upgrade of the E-M5 show up ? Could Olympus offer a paying software upgrade for the E-M5 ?
A : A successor of the E-M5 will only appear in 2-3 years. There will be no software upgrading. It doesn't correspond to Olympus philosophy to offer paying software upgrades.

PS : Keep in mind that there may be some language communication issues : Toshiyuki Terada from what I have got through YouTube interviews isn't very fluent in English and this interview is reported by a German speaker.. So there may be some interpretation glitches (and for full disclosure, this translation from German to English is made by a French speaker..).

If you read German, the whole report published by SystemKamera.de is there :

http://http://www.systemkamera-forum.de/blog/2013/10/olympus-om-d-e-m1-fragestunde-terada-fotomax/

Brian Mosley

It's quite within the philosophy of Olympus to provide firmware updates free of charge to their loyal user base. There is also a precedent, where they added stabilisation for legacy lenses on the E-3.

As for what they upgrade, I'll leave that to the product development team, who I'm sure are combing the forums and user groups for ideas (focus peaking was our campaign years ago... so we don't hold our breaths for specifics) - it's the principle which is important.

Also, if this isn't already the case, I'd like to see camera manufacturers design their software so that it is easy for them to upgrade with ongoing developments.

Finally, make it possible for 3rd parties to use wifi communications in their applications. That would be a great gesture.

Cheers

Brian

JBurnett

Translation :
A : A successor of the E-M5 will only appear in 2-3 years. There will be no software upgrading. It doesn't correspond to Olympus philosophy to offer paying software upgrades.
REAL Translation: :)

Of course we're working on a successor to the E-M5. But, we don't want anyone to think about this while we're "making hay" with the E-M1. Once sales of that puppy tail off just a bit, we'll leak some details about the E-M6.

What? The E-M5 isn't perfect? Anyway, the E-M6 team is too busy right now to think about an E-M5 software upgrade. However, if the board gets its knickers in a twist about public demand, then we'll pull a few resources off to do this.

Charging for upgrades? You mean you'd pay for them? I must get our web people to add e-commerce to that section of the website.

Godfrey

Olympus has issued updates in the past, I'm sure they'll do so in the future.
What do you want changed?

It's funny, but I often just ignore updates if my camera is doing what I want. The latest M9 update has been out for a year but I haven't seen any reason to install it.

G

les

I'd hope that it might dawn on the company that a digital camera is in part a computer and that while hardware updates are not expected, software updates are quite common today. There is not a day passes when the Apps in my Nexus Tablet don't automatically receive several updates.
Only a year or so ago this was a not inexpensive 'flagship' m4/3 product, and so 'tweaks' to keep pace with basic features provided by competitors, is surely not unreasonable.
Everyone will have their own wish list - but focus peaking and a functional bracketing solution would probably be a reasonable start. It could be argued that functions like these should have been there from day one.
I sense though that Olympus remains a company with a traditional outlook, who will hold improvements back until delivering a new product in a year or so.
In this day and age perhaps that kind of reputation will be unhelpful when trying to shift large quantities of the new kit, when others offering similar gear are forging a reputation of a different kind.

dhsimmonds

E-M1 users in the UK are reporting lock-up problems in various scenarios but particularly when changing menu items and with C-AF, all with m4/3 lenses.:shocked: The problem has been carefully analysed by experienced users and the general opinion seems to be a current drain versus available battery power issue as it is whilst changing several details in quick succession. Items such as Ibis C-AF etc have been lost before re-setting by removing the battery, re-inserting to return the camera to default settings

I daresay that Olympus are busy finding a firmware solution to this serious problem before going back on what is now a very stable E-M5 platform. We are hoping that this might just be a particular batch problem.

Either way, it might not be prudent to use 3rd party replacement batteries just yet!

dhsimmonds

Just read the above and realised just how an Aussie might read it!!

"trust the b****y wingeing Poms to find something wrong with this excellent little camera"! :wtf:

Godfrey

I don't know what they're doing that causes these lockups.

I've been learning the e-m1 and changing settings constantly since I got it. Not a single lock up yet, and 450-500 exposures out of the first charge, another 400+ and the second charge is still going strong.

Knorp

I don't know what they're doing that causes these lockups.

I've been learning the e-m1 and changing settings constantly since I got it. Not a single lock up yet, and 450-500 exposures out of the first charge, another 400+ and the second charge is still going strong.
About the same here - no issues whatsoever and so far so good.
Admittedly, I don't shoot in C-AF mode often and when I do it's C-AF w/ Tracking.

All the best.

f6cvalkyrie

Everyone will have their own wish list - but focus peaking and a functional bracketing solution would probably be a reasonable start. It could be argued that functions like these should have been there from day one.
Agreed, especially for the bracketing solution !
Rafael