The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you give up your m4/3 kit for the new Sony A7?

Amin

Definitely would not give up my MFT kit for the Sony, but depending on how it performs with my Leica M mount lenses, I might consider giving up my M9 for the Sony.

mazor

The biggest advantage EM1 will have over the A7 and A7r is the size of the lens. Although the A7 and A7r have bodies that are similar size to the EM1, anyone into any tele photography will end up having a lens dominated camera where the lens outweighs and outclasses the camera body.

And it you are not into tele Photography and prefer a fixed street focal length, there is a chance interchanging lens may never occur, from which case the RX1 could probably be the better option.

etrigan63

I am looking at the E-M1 for everyday carry and telephoto work. My son has joined the Sailing Club at school and I would like to have better shots than "the speck with the red and blue sail is my kid" kind. I have to investigate the long telephoto options. Any suggestions, folks?

Godfrey

I saw the A7 at Photo plus today and it's really about the same size as the OMD EM1. Costs only a few hundred more. I am very close to giving into the full frame lust as I love the IQ from my M9.

The only thing holding me back are the fantastic lenses for M4/3. But push come to shove I only need a 50mm normal and a wider lens. and the two sony primes, although slow, could meet my needs.

Anyone considering a similar move? why or why not.
Not me. I'm not averse to the Sony, but I'll wait until there's enough choice in optimized lenses for it to be worth thinking about. I'm pretty darn happy with the E-M1, and the M9, as is.

Actually, the new Nikon might be even more appealing to me. I even have a brace of lenses for it already.

G