The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dpreview review

Brian Mosley

Blimey, dpreview have done an actual review? I thought it stood for digital preview these days! ;)

It's definitely pushed m4/3rds still photography up to the highest standards of build and performance possible, and represents the sweet spot of performance, size and cost for me.

Very happy with it... now bring on the fully electronic shutter and pdaf at every sensel - not for focusing speed, but for full (narrow) depth of field variability after the shot!

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Blimey, dpreview have done an actual review? I thought it stood for digital preview these days! ;)

It's definitely pushed m4/3rds still photography up to the highest standards of build and performance possible, and represents the sweet spot of performance, size and cost for me.

Very happy with it... now bring on the fully electronic shutter and pdaf at every sensel - not for focusing speed, but for full (narrow) depth of field variability after the shot!

Cheers

Brian

Brian, Do not know what that (underlined portion) means. Please explain.

Brian Mosley

Hi Vivek,

Olympus made a patent application for a sensor sub layer which provided pdaf depth sensing at every location.

If you had a depth map to go with an image, I believe you could develop an image to magnify the out of focus areas such that you could simulate an extremely narrow depth of field.

What do you think? Would that be theoretically possible?

I guess this would be of huge interest for video too?

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Thank you, Brian. :)

Yes, that is very useful, albeit involves a lot of processing. With the current chip (even iphones have 64bit processors nowadays!) scenario, quite doable. :thumbs: