The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My 12-40 F2.8 has arrived...

etrigan63

Hmmm you gentlemen are forcing me to switch gears. I was going to acquire an A7r as my walkabout camera, but seeing the performance of the E-M1 + 12-40 f/2.8 combo is making me rethink my decision. I had the E-M5 which took lovely photos, but I had to give the X-E1 a go. That one also does very well in the dark except for its focussing issues. How is the focus peaking on the E-M1? The FP on the X-E1 still needs work and is a little hard to see.

X-E1 shot

Neuschwanstein Castle by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

E-M5 Shot:

Gesu Church - Downtown Miami by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

In my eyes, I like the look I can achieve with the Oly sensor better than the Fuji. This can also become completely skewed if the hype about the Nikon DF pans out.

tashley

Subscriber Member
OK here is another data point. Again please accept that this is for now somewhat unscientific, I am just playing and the weather is waaay too bad here to go do this outside with mid-distance building facades or landscapes on a tripod etc but I wanted to try a little handheld, real-world experiment. So I shot the same interior flat facade with the EM-1 with 12-40 and the D800E with 28-70. Both frames were shot at the widest end, wide open, both with centre single AF. But I set the Nikon to Auto ISO and in the menu setting, 'faster' was selected for the choice of shutter speed: in my experience, with a heavy and unstabilised lens like this, that is required if one is to reliably avoid camera shake. The Oly I set to ISO 200 and just let the shutter speed fall where it would, which was at 1/20th. Again, real world, that is how I would shoot a static subject with this setup.

Metering was auto for both and though the Nikon looks like it had a +1/3rd that is because my camera is permanently set to a -1/3rd bias. Nonetheless the Nikon gave the scene a bit more exposure, I estimate that at about a third of a stop, which is why I usually have it set to a small negative.

Then I gave both files the exact same LR settings, WB off the white card on the fridge (the Oly got the AWB correct, the Nikon did not). The only difference was I enabled lens corrections in the Nikon so as to match the in-camera adjustments made to the RAW file by the Oly. Nonetheless, the Oly had more vignetting but not to a degree that I mind about.

The Nikon chose an ISO of 1400 in order to get the shutter speed it felt it needed (1/100th). I could possibly have shot it at ISO 1000 instead with the same shutter speed so as to more closely match the exposure of the Oly frame but, the point of this was 'shoot them as you'd use them'.

Then I exported both files to 2304 pixels on the long side. That equates to a 200 DPI print of around 20" if you view the file at 100% on a normal (non-retina) screen. It also has the advantage of meaning that both files have been downsized from 'native' and therefore both are 'processed'.

Like I say, unscientific but interesting. It tends to confirm my suspicion that the Oly lens is sharper, especially at the edges, and that the noise advantage of the Nikon is largely lost due to the need to shoot at higher ISO, because there's no IS. Or course, in good light the Nikon would win much more clearly on file quality but for this print size, the difference would IMHO be more than negated by the better performance of the Oly lens.

Links are to the files.

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v105/p1046503986.jpg

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v128/p673561323.jpg

I will run tests such as this much more scientifically when time and weather allow but for now, this does tend to confirm my first impression of better wide end sharpness of the Oly lens.

Last edited:

Elderly

You've pushed me over the edge, and mine should arrive on Monday. Perhaps Saturday if I'm lucky.
Hmmmmmm .........

My first post - I was going to resist joining in until I actually had my
EM1 and 12-40 in my hands :thumbup:
however I need to post to say that I'm seriously JEALOUS! :cry: :D.
I ordered my outfit more than two weeks ago (also in the south-ish
of England) and so far .......... nothing.

Actually it would have been far more sensible of me to have phoned the
dealer before I wrote this post :eek:.

Ian.

jonoslack

Hmmmmmm .........

My first post - I was going to resist joining in until I actually had my
EM1 and 12-40 in my hands :thumbup:
however I need to post to say that I'm seriously JEALOUS! :cry: :D.
I ordered my outfit more than two weeks ago (also in the south-ish
of England) and so far .......... nothing.

Actually it would have been far more sensible of me to have phoned the
dealer before I wrote this post :eek:.

Ian.
Hi Ian - you will have saved some money though - Tim and I bought body and lens separately:facesmack::eek::cry:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just to whet some more appetites, some files here (click links for full size files) from this wonderful (so far!) lens. It just seems to do what a naive beginner would expect a lens to do: get everything in focus from edge to edge and even corner to corner. It has a neutral rendering, not a character lens, but just reliable and predictable and handholdable to stupid low shutter speeds. All processed for 50% viewing so look a bit overdone at the pixel level.

Full size
ISO 200 40mm F4 1/50th

Full size
ISO 200 12mm F4 1/50th

Full size
ISO 400 28mm F2.8 1/80th

Full size
ISO 400 38mm F2.8 1/160th

ohnri

Thanks Tim for posting your usual terrific insights.

Do you have an opinion on the quality of the 12-40 f/2.8 Olympus lens vis-à-vis the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8?

With appreciation,

Bill

Elderly

Hi Ian - you will have saved some money though - Tim and I bought body and lens separately:facesmack::eek::cry:
Looks like I will be spending my money (and getting indecisive about how I want to set the camera up :runsbeforewalkssmilley: ) next week!:thumbs:
Ian.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Tim for posting your usual terrific insights.

Do you have an opinion on the quality of the 12-40 f/2.8 Olympus lens vis-à-vis the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8?

With appreciation,

Bill
Glad to share - and glad to finally have fairly unambiguous praise for a new lens: I have tested so many in the past couple of years that disappointed, the last really good one was the Sony Zeiss 35mm F2 on the RX-1...

I haven't tried the Panny. People say it is good but I have heard say that this new lens is better... and if you are shooting on an Oly, then it seems to me that the corrections are more effective with Oly MFT lenses.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Looks like I will be spending my money (and getting indecisive about how I want to set the camera up :runsbeforewalkssmilley: ) next week!:thumbs:
Ian.
Don't get me started! The only thing I want to achieve is to stop either of the dials controlling WB whilst allowing the other to control ISO. It seems impossible... mad, given that you can basically get this thing to make tea and book your dental appointments :D

k-hawinkler

Me too.
However, in the US I still qualify for the $200 mail-in rebate.

M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens | Olympus

Quote:

"Please note: If you already pre-ordered your OM-D E-M1, you are still eligible for the $200 rebate offer. Simply purchase the lens in a new order. This offer can be combined with the FREE FL-300R Flash or MMF-3 offer also available with the purchase of an OM-D E-M1. View rebate submission details (PDF)."

http://cache.olympusamerica.com/sta...s/51682_M.12-40MM_Lens_Mail-In_Rebate_USA.pdf

k-hawinkler

Just to whet some more appetites, some files here (click links for full size files) from this wonderful (so far!) lens. It just seems to do what a naive beginner would expect a lens to do: get everything in focus from edge to edge and even corner to corner. It has a neutral rendering, not a character lens, but just reliable and predictable and handholdable to stupid low shutter speeds. All processed for 50% viewing so look a bit overdone at the pixel level.

Full size
ISO 200 40mm F4 1/50th

Full size
ISO 200 12mm F4 1/50th

Full size
ISO 400 28mm F2.8 1/80th

Full size
ISO 400 38mm F2.8 1/160th
Hi Tim,

The last one is my favorite!!! :D ;) :ROTFL:
It would fit nicely in the collection of autumn pictures though! :thumbs:

:worthless:

Knorp

Me too.
However, in the US I still qualify for the $200 mail-in rebate.

M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens | Olympus

Quote:

"Please note: If you already pre-ordered your OM-D E-M1, you are still eligible for the $200 rebate offer. Simply purchase the lens in a new order. This offer can be combined with the FREE FL-300R Flash or MMF-3 offer also available with the purchase of an OM-D E-M1. View rebate submission details (PDF)."

http://cache.olympusamerica.com/sta...s/51682_M.12-40MM_Lens_Mail-In_Rebate_USA.pdf
We seem to be entitled a 10% discount on Olympus accessories ... :thumbup:

Nearly snapped up a 12-40 today.
Got an in stock email notification from my dealer, did order it at once via my smartphone (well admittedly, it took me half an hour or so) selecting pick-up on Saturday, received the order confirmation (or so I thought) and felt lucky.
However, an hour later I received another notice that unfortunately it was not possible to pick-up the lens on Saturday as the lens was already OoS ... :banghead:
Stupid iPhone ... :cussing:

etrigan63

Hi Tim,

The last one is my favorite!!! :D ;) :ROTFL:
It would fit nicely in the collection of autumn pictures though! :thumbs:

:worthless:
Autumn where I live is boring. As are all of the other seasons. Case in point:

Autumn

Seawall by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Winter

Spring

Summer

The only real differentiator we have is the quantity of rain. Winter is drier than the rest of the year. Cold winter day = 72F (22C) which, I am told, is considered a July heat wave in Helsinki. We usually have a week or two where it dips down into the 30'sF (5C-0C) at night, inland.

etrigan63

Sounds like where I live (except for the rocks). One boring season after the other :)
Yes Jim, Sarasota and Miami are similar (your pictures would be pointing in the opposite direction assuming you are facing north as I was - left coast of Florida vs right coast). :grin:

Paratom

Hi,
While the Nikon 24-70 is good I never found it a great lens. The Canon 24-70ii seems quite a bit sharper over the range. So I am also not surprized if the new Oly 12-40 is sharper. How do you think would the new Oly compare to the Pana 12-35? those midrange zooms are just so flexible lemses. great if oly have such a good lens now.
OK here is another data point. Again please accept that this is for now somewhat unscientific, I am just playing and the weather is waaay too bad here to go do this outside with mid-distance building facades or landscapes on a tripod etc but I wanted to try a little handheld, real-world experiment. So I shot the same interior flat facade with the EM-1 with 12-40 and the D800E with 28-70. Both frames were shot at the widest end, wide open, both with centre single AF. But I set the Nikon to Auto ISO and in the menu setting, 'faster' was selected for the choice of shutter speed: in my experience, with a heavy and unstabilised lens like this, that is required if one is to reliably avoid camera shake. The Oly I set to ISO 200 and just let the shutter speed fall where it would, which was at 1/20th. Again, real world, that is how I would shoot a static subject with this setup.

Metering was auto for both and though the Nikon looks like it had a +1/3rd that is because my camera is permanently set to a -1/3rd bias. Nonetheless the Nikon gave the scene a bit more exposure, I estimate that at about a third of a stop, which is why I usually have it set to a small negative.

Then I gave both files the exact same LR settings, WB off the white card on the fridge (the Oly got the AWB correct, the Nikon did not). The only difference was I enabled lens corrections in the Nikon so as to match the in-camera adjustments made to the RAW file by the Oly. Nonetheless, the Oly had more vignetting but not to a degree that I mind about.

The Nikon chose an ISO of 1400 in order to get the shutter speed it felt it needed (1/100th). I could possibly have shot it at ISO 1000 instead with the same shutter speed so as to more closely match the exposure of the Oly frame but, the point of this was 'shoot them as you'd use them'.

Then I exported both files to 2304 pixels on the long side. That equates to a 200 DPI print of around 20" if you view the file at 100% on a normal (non-retina) screen. It also has the advantage of meaning that both files have been downsized from 'native' and therefore both are 'processed'.

Like I say, unscientific but interesting. It tends to confirm my suspicion that the Oly lens is sharper, especially at the edges, and that the noise advantage of the Nikon is largely lost due to the need to shoot at higher ISO, because there's no IS. Or course, in good light the Nikon would win much more clearly on file quality but for this print size, the difference would IMHO be more than negated by the better performance of the Oly lens.

Links are to the files.

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v105/p1046503986.jpg

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v128/p673561323.jpg

I will run tests such as this much more scientifically when time and weather allow but for now, this does tend to confirm my first impression of better wide end sharpness of the Oly lens.

jonoslack

Yes Jim, Sarasota and Miami are similar (your pictures would be pointing in the opposite direction assuming you are facing north as I was - left coast of Florida vs right coast). :grin:
My heart bleeds for you. We have six months of rain and winds and grey skies in front of us. So Exhilirating :ROTFL:

Godfrey

Hmm. I keep jonesing for that Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit 45/2.8. I think I'll fit the Summicron-R 50/2 for my walk today and see what I see with it.

G