The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sampling Lumix Lenses - GH3 vs GX7 - IQ vs Sensor

Matix

Had occasion to be out today, had to take my son's large dog for a run. While he was running, swimming etc, I decided to answer some basic question re the Lumix lenses in my bag, and what would be the differences in the following areas.

1. Would each lens fare as well on either the GH3 or the GX7,
2. Would there be noticeable difference in IQ between the popular lenses
3. Which lens would work best on which camera

I keep it simple, I did not set up either camera the way I would usually shoot, just turned on the iA setting, 200 iso, full image, no other settings, OOC JPG's, and took the same shot with each lens in turn on each of the two cameras.

Not scientific, just wanted to know.. lenses tested were...

-20mm f1.7 II model
-24mm f1.4 Pana Leica
-7-14mm f4.0 zoom Wide Angle
-12-35mm X f2.8 zoom
-14-45mm f3.5-5.6 zoom Original Kit Lens model
-14-140mm f4-5.8 zoom Original model[/COLOR]

My summary opinion subjective, FWIW... we are very lucky, m4/3 and Panasonic lens quality is excellent. To my mind, I would be happy with any of these lenses on either camera.

I did not test any other lenses, Lumix or others... no time and was out of scope.

Link to the test site, Photo-Matix Imagery | Lens Test - GH3 v GX7

All are open to downloading of the full size image if you want to pixel peep etc.

Opinions welcome, I would like to know what others think... the site is a decommissioned coal fired power station, Swanbank, Queensland.

Phil

nostatic

So I just did a similar comparison. Had the GH3, GX7, and my EM5 for some quick testing. I have a primary goal of video for the new camera (the GH3 or GX7 - I've had the Oly for awhile now and have always loved it for stills). After messing around for an evening the GX7 is going back, the GH3 is staying. From a sensor standpoint, I really don't see much difference between the GH3 and GX7. From a handling standpoint, it is night and day for me.

I find the GX7 more comfortable to hold than the EM5 without the grip, add the grip and the EM5 is more comfy. The GH3 just fits me really well. Also I constantly found myself accidentally pushing buttons on the back of the GX7. There really isn't a lot of space for your thumb.

So the final answer is the GH3 is a keeper that will handle mostly video, the GX7 is getting returned, and the Em5 is going to be sold to make way for the EM1 for still and some backup video.

I will say the IBIS on the Oly crushes the OIS on the Panny (12-35/2.8).

Matix

how you rate the gx7 vs the gh3?
Hi Paratom, my personal observations on that question would be;

As the images show, there is not much difference in the IQ when everything is equal. I think the GX7 has a slight edge in some images, in others the GH3, but so slight as to be likely caused by the minor variations in light, aim and other camera exposure settings etc.

As for ergonomics, definitely the GH3 feels more solid in the hand, more control buttons and has with the larger lenses has great balance.

The viewfinder on the GX7 is much better, a more accurate rendition of the image, has less of a need to have the eye in the exact position, and the tilting viewfinder is a great asset to a mature age photographer!!

The GX7 will be my travel camera, lighter and the images will not suffer. The GH3 does a fine job in most other areas, subjective answers so I hope that helps.

Phil

Matix

So I just did a similar comparison. Had the GH3, GX7, and my EM5 for some quick testing. I have a primary goal of video for the new camera (the GH3 or GX7 - I've had the Oly for awhile now and have always loved it for stills). After messing around for an evening the GX7 is going back, the GH3 is staying. From a sensor standpoint, I really don't see much difference between the GH3 and GX7. From a handling standpoint, it is night and day for me.

I find the GX7 more comfortable to hold than the EM5 without the grip, add the grip and the EM5 is more comfy. The GH3 just fits me really well. Also I constantly found myself accidentally pushing buttons on the back of the GX7. There really isn't a lot of space for your thumb.
Hi Nostatic, I have found it takes a few days to really get the feel for a new camera body, all new are alien when first held in the hand. I had the EM5 for a month but could not get to like the body ergonomics, so it sold in favour of the GH3 which did feel and still does great.

I agree, not much in the sensor at all, they are both excellent.

So the final answer is the GH3 is a keeper that will handle mostly video, the GX7 is getting returned, and the Em5 is going to be sold to make way for the EM1 for still and some backup video.
I really do not do much video, in fact very little... I was leaning to trying the EM1, but I could not justify the extra cost for only the viewfinder improvement, a slight improvement in the OIS vs the IBIS is not a deal breaker for me at all, I rarely find a need due to being a relatively stable platform!!

I will say the IBIS on the Oly crushes the OIS on the Panny (12-35/2.8).
I have no way of measuring that, the IBIS in the GX7 is possibly a help with slower non OIS lenses, and the 5 axis on Oly likely better, but I shot for many years without any stability option, so learned to shoot at very slow shutter speeds and still get the shot.

FWIW, Phil

nostatic

The viewfinder on the GX7 is much better, a more accurate rendition of the image, has less of a need to have the eye in the exact position, and the tilting viewfinder is a great asset to a mature age photographer!!
Actually the viewfinder on the GX7 is something I find lacking. The demo camera at the shop had a viewfinder that was dim, terrible contrast, etc. In fact, I almost dismissed the camera altogether based on it. I decided to try another one and while the vf is better, it isn't accurate based on the scene (too warm). I found the rear display to be closer to both the actual scene as well as the resulting image from the camera. My wife actually preferred the vf on the GH3 over all three, but she really disliked the GX7 vf.

Most of the reviewers rave about the GX7 vf, so I'm wondering if I got unlucky twice or if it is just different strokes...

As for the ergs, I find the EM5 tough to use without the grip. That is one reason I'm likely going to switch to the EM1 as it seems they've essentially created a camera that is essentially the EM5 w/grip. Not sure I could adapt to the GX7. The two buttons on the rear that are highest up (dips and q iirc) I consistently would accidentally hit with my thumb. One thing I do like about the EM5 - the thumb rest is great for my hands, ymmv.

Matix

Actually the viewfinder on the GX7 is something I find lacking. The demo camera at the shop had a viewfinder that was dim, terrible contrast, etc. In fact, I almost dismissed the camera altogether based on it. I decided to try another one and while the vf is better, it isn't accurate based on the scene (too warm). I found the rear display to be closer to both the actual scene as well as the resulting image from the camera. My wife actually preferred the vf on the GH3 over all three, but she really disliked the GX7 vf.

Most of the reviewers rave about the GX7 vf, so I'm wondering if I got unlucky twice or if it is just different strokes..., ymmv.
Out of the box mine was OK, but a few minutes tweaking the VF, and the addition of the Panasonic eyecup to stop the light creeping from the side sunlight, and I cannot tell the difference now.

While the rear display is good, outdoors it is a moot point for anything but composition, as are most rear displays.

I find my GH3 EVF is totally off, the GH2 was ok, and the Sony A77 is spot on, but the GH3 definitely, on my copy is way brighter.

As you suggested, MMDV, but so do our eyes, age, shooting conditions and settings etc... compared to my first EVF camera, the Sony 515 all modern EVF's are fantastic. Those that swear by OVF never see exactly what they get either, but I could never go back to that technology, or lack of it...

Phil...

Paratom

Hi Paratom, my personal observations on that question would be;

As the images show, there is not much difference in the IQ when everything is equal. I think the GX7 has a slight edge in some images, in others the GH3, but so slight as to be likely caused by the minor variations in light, aim and other camera exposure settings etc.

As for ergonomics, definitely the GH3 feels more solid in the hand, more control buttons and has with the larger lenses has great balance.

The GX7 will be my travel camera, lighter and the images will not suffer. The GH3 does a fine job in most other areas, subjective answers so I hope that helps.

Phil
Thanks Phil!

nostatic

Out of the box mine was OK, but a few minutes tweaking the VF, and the addition of the Panasonic eyecup to stop the light creeping from the side sunlight, and I cannot tell the difference now.

While the rear display is good, outdoors it is a moot point for anything but composition, as are most rear displays.

I find my GH3 EVF is totally off, the GH2 was ok, and the Sony A77 is spot on, but the GH3 definitely, on my copy is way brighter.

As you suggested, MMDV, but so do our eyes, age, shooting conditions and settings etc... compared to my first EVF camera, the Sony 515 all modern EVF's are fantastic. Those that swear by OVF never see exactly what they get either, but I could never go back to that technology, or lack of it...

Phil...
I agree with the EVF comment. I have a 6D that I occasionally use for work when I'm doing low light wide (have the 16-35/2.8) and I find the EVFs easier to use most of the time. The 6D does produce very nice shots though.

Wed I did a total guerrilla video shoot of my band. Set the GH3 up on a tripod and let it run the whole set (note to self - set if on MF next time and frame the shot with reference people on stage :D). My wife did the 6D handheld. She was having a tough time in a dark club, first time shooting video with a dSLR, with AF that doesn't really AF (on the Canon). With all of that it still came out with some very nice moments. Next time we'll tighten up things, but frankly I think she'd have an easier time shooting with the GH3 handheld as I find it easier to focus with the EVF unless I put on strong reading glasses. Plus the AF is better behaved. The downside is the 6D maxes the recording time out at 29 min so someone has to babysit the camera. That is one thing that is phenomenal about the GH3 - I let it shoot continuous for over 90 minutes with zero issue. Well, other than occasionally hunting for focus which was my fault.

I may give the GX7 another chance as I think that would be another great run and gun tool. wrt ergs maybe I just need to work it more. But part of me just wants to get a second GH3 since I really like that camera.