The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMD EM-1 IBIS Noise

Good morning everyone. I picked up my new EM-1 yesterday. So far, seems like a very nice improvement to my EM-5 which I already enjoy.

I have two questions:

1) The IBIS makes a noise when it is operating. My EM-5 does not. Has anyone else noticed this?

2) First few frames look pretty poor in LR 5 - saturation, shadow tonality, even sharpness. I read that LR 5.2 support for EM-1 was considered "preliminary". Has anyone heard of Adobe's plans to address this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

George Pappas

Elderly

1) my early EM-5 made an IBIS noise constantly until a firmware fix made it audible only on a half press of the shutter; after the picture was taken the sound stopped.
My EM-1 which I only got yesterday afternoon, acts the same way as the EM-5 after its firmware fix but it does appear to remain audible for slightly longer than I would expect, or remember my EM-5 doing.

Godfrey

1) The IBIS makes a noise when it is operating. My EM-5 does not. Has anyone else noticed this?

2) First few frames look pretty poor in LR 5 - saturation, shadow tonality, even sharpness. I read that LR 5.2 support for EM-1 was considered "preliminary". Has anyone heard of Adobe's plans to address this?
- The E-M1 IBIS does indeed make a little whirring sound for a bit, from when the shutter release is lightly pressed to a second or so after I've released it. I've already stopped hearing it. :)

- LR 5.2 support for the E-M1 was rated "preliminary" and had a fairly rough camera calibration profile. LR 5.3RC removes the "preliminary" tag on E-M1 support: it has a new camera calibration profile and allows the files to be processed with alternative camera calibration profiles, for example the Huelight and Xrite Passport profiles. I'm finding its rendering of E-M1 files much improved in every way.

G

lucaloren

I picked up my new E-M1 late last week.

The one aspect of IBIS that really took me aback was the noise level. I am actually finding it louder than I remember on my E-M5.

Can anybody else comment on the relative noise levels between the IBIS on these two cameras?