The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Storm over Swanbank, Qld

Matix

I had occasion to take Rover the dog for a run to his favourite spot, around the lake by a decommissioned coal fired power station at Swanbank, west of Brisbane in Queenland.

On the way out there, a 20minute drive, I noticed a storm cell approaching, and as I had the GX7 and GH3 with me I took some shots, as the late afternoon sun gave up and the storm rolled in. Yes it could have been violent, but one does what one has to do to get the shot.. only a bit worried about hail but there was none of it.

First shot was with the GX7 and new Lumix 20mm 1.7, the rest with the GH3 and Lumix 7-14mm F4. I had about 5 minutes to get the gear ready, stopped down -1 EV and got a few shots before the rain hit.

Phil

As the Sun Set GX7, f/2.5 @ 20 mm, 1/200, ISO 200

GH3, f/5.6 @ 7 mm, 1/30, ISO 200

Sun on the silent smoke stacks, smoky no longer. GH3, f/5.6 @ 13 mm, 1/50, ISO 200 -1 EV

Rover did not mind the thunder, lightning and threat of rain.. it is a dog's life.. but he ran for the truck when the rain hit.

Checked the weather map on my phone, doppler radar got it right.

V

Vivek

The GH-3 is the hands down winner in terms of image quality (yes, even in these small resized jpegs). :)

Tanngrisnir

Wow. Were those .jpeg or processed from RAW?

Those clouds look like something out of a cartoon. Not a criticism, they're just really striking.

Matix

The GH-3 is the hands down winner in terms of image quality (yes, even in these small resized jpegs). :)
I agree, the E-M1 may have a slight JPG edge, but C1 can tweak to that coloring in a second. The body of the GH3 feels way better in my hands. As an all around package, the good outweighs the bad in my opinion. Both excellent cameras though.

Phil

Matix

Wow. Were those .jpeg or processed from RAW?

Those clouds look like something out of a cartoon. Not a criticism, they're just really striking.
Hi, no.. they were not RAW, just JPG out of camera, I set the EV to -1 and a slight contrast setting of +1 on ACDSee Pro 7. Believe me, the clouds were very striking, and standing under them, ready to dive into the car was an experience... just had to do it though.

The next night, we had more storms in the area, the image below is a panoramic out of the GX7, shot with the X 12-35mm 2.8 set at 12mm f7.1, ISO 200, -1.6 EV, this is also stunning. This was a storm cell over the Gold Coast city area.

Phil

Pat Donnelly

This area, where I also live, gets the most dramatic storms in Australia. Not the most frequent, that is in Darwin or uninhabited areas. The mountains are 2000 metres and we are next the Pacific Ocean, so they are quite large and intense.

Great photos! Quite an argument for the very wide lens!