The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to clean the sensor on a em5 or e-pl5?

momo

I keep reading conflicting reports of people sending em5's to olympus each time to clean sensor. Some say they do it themselves. Is there a 'best' way to treat these cameras with in body stabilization?

Wondering, cause I might buy an em5. Maybe an e-pl5 which is also stabilized but different.

I have been cleaning the sensor in my dslr, so I'm not afraid to do it. Just don't want to wreck a camera.

Thanks...

Annna T

I keep reading conflicting reports of people sending em5's to olympus each time to clean sensor. Some say they do it themselves. Is there a 'best' way to treat these cameras with in body stabilization?

Wondering, cause I might buy an em5. Maybe an e-pl5 which is also stabilized but different.

I have been cleaning the sensor in my dslr, so I'm not afraid to do it. Just don't want to wreck a camera.

Thanks...
This is a rhetorical question : aka you won't need to clean your sensor. I have Olympus cameras since 2009 and the E-M5 since more than one year and never had a sensor to clean. Yet I'm changing lenses continually. In fact the integrated cleaning mechanism is a very good one.
Just take some precautions : when you change lenses keep the body vertical and minimize the time the sensor is exposed. Put the caps on the lens immediately, etc.. And last but not least : shut the body down when you change lenses : the cleaning mechanism will enter in action when you power the camera on again, so any dust will get cleaned out automatically.

I had continual dust problems on my Canon bodies, but they are gone with the Olympus Pens and OM-D : I have never needed to clean the sensor..

I don't know what I would do if I had a dust problem, especially with the E-M5 and 5axis stabilization, but the question didn't arise.

Godfrey

As with Annna T, with over 80,000 exposures on Olympus and Panasonic FT and mFT cameras since 2007, I've never needed to clean a sensor. It's simply not too much of a worry.

If something sticky did get onto the sensor, I'd send the camera to Olympus for cleaning. What would be getting dirty is the ultrasonic membrane that seals the sensor assembly, and I'd rather have it professionally cleaned than risk damaging it and then having to have it both replaced AND cleaned.

Every other camera I've had has required some sensor cleaning. Even the ones with sensor cleaning systems in them... None are as effective and well thought out as the Olympus/Panasonic ultrasonic wave cleaner.

G

Brian Mosley

I've never had to clean an Olympus 4/3rds DSLR, or m4/3rds camera - it's just never been necessary... the ultrasonic sensor cleaning system works perfectly.

Cheers

Brian

momo

wow, this is good to hear, amazing...didn't think it possible to have a body, change lenses, and the cleaning system works that well...i've got a nikon with a 'cleaning' vibrating whatever, but it still needs to be wet cleaned from time to time...

Godfrey

wow, this is good to hear, amazing...didn't think it possible to have a body, change lenses, and the cleaning system works that well...i've got a nikon with a 'cleaning' vibrating whatever, but it still needs to be wet cleaned from time to time...
The need for automated sensor cleaning was a recognized part of Olympus camera design from the beginning of the FourThirds system, and it was adopted by Panasonic when they joined FourThirds. It's been carried through, and improved, into Micro-FourThirds. Other manufacturers basically ignored it until relatively recently, and have not invested so heavily in providing a truly great solution.

Which is unfortunate for them, and a big plus for Olympus and Panasonic IMO.

G

250swb

As always, never say never. Years ago when my E3 was new I needed to clean large oil spots from the sensor. But with every 4/3 or m4/3 camera I've owned since I have never needed to clean the sensor even once, and dust really annoys me. Even my oily E3 never needed cleaning again.

Steve