The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any new camera better for my needs than the G1?

I am still using a Panasonic G1 and am quite satisfied with it. A lot of new cameras having appeared in the meantime from both Panasonic and Olympus, such as the E-P5, I wonder whether any of them will fit my particular needs even better. Here the MUST HAVE

- Easy and precise focusing and exposure with manual 3rd party lenses
- Swiveling screen allowing e.g. viewing from above vertical macro scenes such as flowers in a meadow

Other musts are
- RAW + JPEG file format
- Low weight and size
- Self Timer

I am not interested in a lot of "modern" gimmicks like WiFi, video, scene modes, filters, etc. but would favor diaphragm and distance setting on the lens barrel.

Thank you for your comments
Peter

tbhv55

I still have a G1 which continues to see frequent use - and several times, over the past couple of years, I have considered updating it. Each time - after reading as much as possible about the latest and greatest - I have reached the conclusion that, for me, an upgrade was not justified.. Panasonic got a great deal right on the G1. Extraordinary, for their first model in this line.

I believe that the main substantive improvements in later models relate to high ISO performance and dynamic range. I've rarely (but, yes - occasionally) found these aspects deficient in the G1, for the use to which I put it, generally.

Regarding distance setting on the lens barrel - for that I think that you'd have to use adapted lenses. To my knowledge, there are no such native m43 lens, as they tend to use fly-by-wire focus. However, if that's not the case, I'm sure that someone on here will chime in.:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you are happy with the G1, why not look at the G5 or G6? They are both very reasonably priced and have much improved sensors. The alternative would be the E-M5.

djonesii

Workshop Member
The deal breaker on G1 for me was autofocus. G3 got that sorted out, but OMD EM5 was too much of a draw.

No need for an EM1 or GX7.
Dave

Ulfric Douglas

I got a G3 cheapo : the RAWs have more DR, more highlights to recover, but Jpegs don't seem any better, colours no better, buffer no better, controls far worse. FAR.
My G1 autofocuses fine, so does my G3 : I haven't got a G5 or G6 but since Panasonic seem determined to keep the nice E-M5 sensor our of their consumer bodies I'll skip them.

This might be heresy, but for a small m4/3rds camera commonly used in portrait mode low down with LCD ... I'd stick with my G1 until the next thing comes along ... sorry about that.

Olympus m4/3rds screens just don't move right for the job.

GH3 would be awesome but maybe too big for the O.P's purposes.

Annna T

I got a G3 cheapo : the RAWs have more DR, more highlights to recover, but Jpegs don't seem any better, colours no better, buffer no better, controls far worse. FAR.
My G1 autofocuses fine, so does my G3 : I haven't got a G5 or G6 but since Panasonic seem determined to keep the nice E-M5 sensor our of their consumer bodies I'll skip them.

This might be heresy, but for a small m4/3rds camera commonly used in portrait mode low down with LCD ... I'd stick with my G1 until the next thing comes along ... sorry about that.

Olympus m4/3rds screens just don't move right for the job.

GH3 would be awesome but maybe too big for the O.P's purposes.
The G3 isn't worth the upgrade. Get at least a G5 they are midway between the G1/G3 and the newer Olympus featuring a Sony sensor (E-M5, E-Pl5, E-Pm2, E-P5 or E-M1)l

Look at the DXO sensor scores (Landscape score stands for DR)

Play with the DXO comparator and see how much more DR the newer Sony sensor would give you..

I had both a G1 and then a G3 and was deceived by the few improvement it is offering over the older Panasonic 12 meg sensor. For me the E-M5 was the real game changer. If you want to stay with a Panasonic, then the GH3 or GX7 should offer the same IQ. GX1 is more or less like the G3, but the jpegs should be better from what I have read.

Godfrey

I used a G1 for a couple of years. Good camera.

Now I'm using the E-M1. Better camera in nearly every respect. The improvement to the EVF alone would be worth it to me. The rest is gravy. :)

G

JBurnett

If the fully articulated LCD is truly a requirement, then I think you're looking at a G5, G6 or GH3. Any of these will give you an appreciable improvement in sensor and auto-focus over the G1. The GH3 has the best sensor of the three (and some other advantages), but it is more money, and somewhat larger. The G5 is discontinued and selling out, so you may find a bargain.

Here's a link for a size comparison between G2 (they didn't have a G1 on the list), G6, and GH3.

http://j.mp/I7PXUy

Here they are from the back:

http://j.mp/I7Qea7

Thank you all for your precious comments. I have come to the conclusion that for my use, the G1 is still a valid option. I do not really need high ISO ant other fancy features. The Olympus E-P5 looked interesting for both small footprint, weight and adaptability to use manual focusing lenses with focusing peaking display and in-body stabilization. The lack of a fully articulated LCD screen is a serious drawback for my use. I shall have a look at the next generation when it comes out.
Again, thank you all for your contributions
Peter