The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GM1 anyone?

Terry

Hi Terry,
It's very nice to see you back here, waiting to see more posts and test results.
Best,
-----------
Manouch
Hi Manouch....hiatus for a move to NY and renovations put photography on the back burner....but I miss it so....nothing like some new gear!

Terry

nostatic

I just got the GM1, briefly had the GX7, and also have the GH3 (just sold the EM5). The GM1 is a ridiculously amazing engineering feat. The GH3 dwarfs it. And the kit lens is really well executed. The camera with the 12-32 kit lens fits in the small case that I used for past DLux4 and and Canon S110. Yes, the setup is that small. I actually am shooting it like a P&S - thumb/middle finger at the base, index finder on the shutter. One handed - amazing.

I need to get the 20/1.7 - I think that would be the other perfect lens, though the Oly 45/1.8 handles really well too. The Panny f2.8 zooms are a bit oversized and you really can't shoot that setup one-handed.

Godfrey

I bet the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS would also work very nicely on the GM1, given its image stabilization system. It's been one of my favorite lenses in mFT ... :)

G

Terry

I bet the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS would also work very nicely on the GM1, given its image stabilization system. It's been one of my favorite lenses in mFT ... :)

G
Unfortunately I don't own that lens anymore. Dumb on my part. Expensive relative to the 45 f1.8 to buy back.

DaveS

The GM1 is a great little camera, I love the small size. Here is a pic next to one of my favorite film cameras for travel, the TC1 - I travelled the world with that one when I used slide film. (They are both roughly the same size but the lens makes it almost twice the thickness.)

I also lined it up with some other M4/3 lenses that seem to match the small size when mounted on the body. 9-18mm, 60mm macro, 45mm 1.8, and 14mm 2.5.

Looking forward to taking it out later today.

PS: I took the photo with a Canon 6D and 85mm 1.2. The lens alone weighs more than the whole kit of the GM1, and is almost as big....

Dave

Tim

I am glad there is some interest in this little beauty.
I've considered a RX100 but the GM1 make more sense as I can put it in my m43 kit and it has a lot more versatility.

I have the 14mm, 20mm and 45mm. Pair the GM with 45mm and add my Ricoh GR as suggested above and I have a great minimal travel kit.
IF only someone would bring out a good IQ 10mm prime for m43. Puleeze!

Another use I have for this is it will be lightweight hardware on any astronomical telescope for the odd astro photo.

Here's one of those camera comparisons for the heck - Compact Camera Meter

Terry

Not sure about for astro. I don't know how long of shutter speeds you need but I think there are some exposure limits on the camera. Large sensor tiny size and heat becomes an issue. I understand that is why some video modes are more constrained on this camera.

Tim

Not sure about for astro. I don't know how long of shutter speeds you need but I think there are some exposure limits on the camera. Large sensor tiny size and heat becomes an issue. I understand that is why some video modes are more constrained on this camera.
yeah, perhaps not, specs say out to 60 sec I think, if I am reading that right.

FWIW they have launched a promo website - http://lumixgm.tumblr.com/

clay stewart

Well, after about a week with the GM1, the one thing it really, really needs, is a way to assign FN1 button to toggle on/off the touch screen. I just can't seem to use touch screen without moving my focus point, no matter how much I pay attention. I didn't somehow miss that setting somewhere, did I?

Paratom

I am glad there is some interest in this little beauty.
I've considered a RX100 but the GM1 make more sense as I can put it in my m43 kit and it has a lot more versatility.

I have the 14mm, 20mm and 45mm. Pair the GM with 45mm and add my Ricoh GR as suggested above and I have a great minimal travel kit.
IF only someone would bring out a good IQ 10mm prime for m43. Puleeze!

Another use I have for this is it will be lightweight hardware on any astronomical telescope for the odd astro photo.

Here's one of those camera comparisons for the heck - Compact Camera Meter
Hi Tim,
I got a GM1 and like it so far - but be warned that as soon as you put it in a small back its considerably bigger (because of the lens) than the RX100.
The GM1 with its small kit lens just fits in the orange bag, the rx100 is in the black bag.
However one can not put a 17/1.8 on the RX100 ;)

wjlapier

After seeing the GM1 review pics on dpreview with the grip, I decided to buy it, but in black. Found one from Japan for a reasonable price. After it arrived in a few days and playing around with it I think I might rebuild my mFT kit. First I bought the grip and then the 20mm lens. I'm thinking of adding the 7-14 and calling it a day. For now.

Build quality is up there. The lens is excellent. Tiny as heck. Bouncing the flash. Thinking of adding this to my RX-1 bag until I gather up the other lenses I want.

turtle

I bought one and think that I finally have my ideal 'carry everywhere' camera.

IQ is very good for A2 prints.
Its tiny.
Nobody gives it a second look.
It is very responsive, with quick AF.
It is silent.

I also bought the A7R, but was surprised to find myself far more excited by the GM-1. This little pocket rocket will go everywhere with me in my jacket pocket.

The kit lens is a touch soft in the extreme corners at all apertures, but its not much of an issue with most images.. I'll probably buy the 14mm 2.5 to give me a moderately fast 28mm equivalent. Or perhaps a 17mm.

Sure its an expensive little camera, but compared to the RX100 II it was a simple decision due to sensor size, high ISO and interchangeable lenses.

Annna T

I bought one and think that I finally have my ideal 'carry everywhere' camera.

IQ is very good for A2 prints.
Its tiny.
Nobody gives it a second look.
It is very responsive, with quick AF.
It is silent.

I also bought the A7R, but was surprised to find myself far more excited by the GM-1. This little pocket rocket will go everywhere with me in my jacket pocket.

The kit lens is a touch soft in the extreme corners at all apertures, but its not much of an issue with most images.. I'll probably buy the 14mm 2.5 to give me a moderately fast 28mm equivalent. Or perhaps a 17mm.

Sure its an expensive little camera, but compared to the RX100 II it was a simple decision due to sensor size, high ISO and interchangeable lenses.
Go for the 20mm F 1.7 Panaonic instead of the Olympus 17mm : it is a pancake too and barely bigger than the 14mm, but it is among the sharpest MFT lens. Unless you really want 35mm equivalent. But I find 28mm quite near of 17mm, so the few difference existing between 17mm and 20mm won't be too disturbing. Especially when using 4:3 format instead of 3:2 : in landscape orientation you get enough height..
(Just my 2 cents and from an Olympus fan)

turtle

Thanks Annna T. I have been looking at the Panasonic 20 1.7 along with the 14mm and had not thought of the greater depth in the frame due to the aspect ratio of 4:3 vs the more familiar (to me) 3:2. I bought the camera to take everywhere, big lenses will defeat the purpose. The 20mm fits in with this philosophy nicely.