The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GM1 anyone?

Terry

Mine arrived this weekend.... feels really solidly built. Well sorted out controls where I don't feel like I'm far away from anything I need for my shooting. A lot of lenses feel really comfortable on the camera in addition to the kit lens (14, 20, 25, 45, 9-18, and believe it or not the ply 14-150 is with its slender size can get the longer reach but isn't stabilized).

A couple from the weekend including the obligatory kids, dogs, food, and scenery). All shot jpeg at standard settings without really any tweaks.

View attachment 78853

View attachment 78854

View attachment 78855

View attachment 78856

View attachment 78857

Amin

Beautiful shot of the little girl, Terry. I think Panasonic has themselves a couple of winners with the GX7 and GM1.

cjlacz

I'd love to hear some more of your experiences as you use the camera. My company has gotten a little more strict about me bringing in my camera and I'm looking for something more compact than the E-M5. I'm kind of waffling between the GM1 and Ricoh GR at the moment. The shots look great. Are you finding the controls easy enough to use?

jonoslack

Hi There Terry
Great shots and really glad to see you back here. I hope all's well in New York.
Don't have the camera (but I can certainly see the point!).
all the best

Terry

How do you like it?
I am interested in one as a fast compact with good IQ.
So far, I really like it. Sometimes a small things can be too small if the controls and layout aren't well thought out. This one is very well sorted out. It pairs up nicely with a number of different lenses. The big difference to me in terms of this vs. most compacts is responsiveness and controls. The AF is fast and sure. Most people are comparing to buying an RX100 which is a camera ultimately I didn't like because it just wasn't a fun camera to shoot with but a point and shoot with better IQ (first version haven't used new one). The GM1 handles like its big brothers not like a P&S.

Terry

Hi There Terry
Great shots and really glad to see you back here. I hope all's well in New York.
Don't have the camera (but I can certainly see the point!).
all the best
Hi Jono,
After many months of working on an apartment renovation I now have time to start thinking about and doing other things. My photography had pretty much stagnated. So, nothing like a new camera to try and get creative again.

So more to come from the GM1 but boy this little gem was launched at a good time for me ;).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Terry,

great to see you back!

What interests me is why it is the GM1 and not the GX7 with built in EVF. I see the point that the GM1 is smaller but I would miss the EVF. What about you?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter

Terry

I do like a viewfinder. However, GM1 is one of two m4/3 cameras I have. So one is with and one without is just fine with me. I got this for the size. I liked the Pentax Q and this is the same size with the benefit that all my m4/3 lenses work and it can be a backup for photography based trips. Fits in my P&S pouches even with lens attached. So, GM1 to me is instead of things like RX100, Fuji X20 and all of those cameras but with the added benefit that is fits into my whole system. Nothing stopping me from putting it behind the larger 100-300mm tripod mounted with tripod collar on the lens.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do like a viewfinder. However, GM1 is one of two m4/3 cameras I have. So one is with and one without is just fine with me. I got this for the size. I liked the Pentax Q and this is the same size with the benefit that all my m4/3 lenses work and it can be a backup for photography based trips. Fits in my P&S pouches even with lens attached. So, GM1 to me is instead of things like RX100, Fuji X20 and all of those cameras but with the added benefit that is fits into my whole system. Nothing stopping me from putting it behind the larger 100-300mm tripod mounted with tripod collar on the lens.
Got it, thanks! Maybe a good idea I also should follow ;)

Godfrey

Hi Terry,

Good to see you post again! Back in NY? I hope all is well.

Nice photos with the GM1. It looks such a tiny thing ... glad to see that it works well for you. I'll be interested to see your how photos with it develop.

Happy Thanksgiving!

G

jonoslack

Hi Terry,

great to see you back!

What interests me is why it is the GM1 and not the GX7 with built in EVF. I see the point that the GM1 is smaller but I would miss the EVF. What about you?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter
HI Peter - have you seen quite how MUCH smaller it is:

GX7 vs GM1

Terry

Hi Godfrey,

Yep, back in NY.

There are a few lenses that are "perfect"sized lenses on the camera. The 45mm f1.8 was used for the shots in the first post. It is just about the same size as the kit lens when it is extended.

retow

Looking good. I will get the GM 1 and mate it with the f1.8 45mm. Together with the Ricoh GR it will make for a very compact high IQ jacket pocket/belt pouch combo. The GM1 with the 45mm is the perfect social event/candid unobtrusive solution.

Godfrey

Give my regards to Broadway! :)

There are a few lenses that are "perfect"sized lenses on the camera. The 45mm f1.8 was used for the shots in the first post. It is just about the same size as the kit lens when it is extended.
Certainly did a good job with it!

It would be amusing to see the GM1 fitted to the Oly ZD 50-200 with EC-20 on a tripod, or the ZD 90-250. :)

Were I to get one, tho, I'd probably have the 14/2.5 on it most of the time, or the Olympus BCL 15mm f8. Wides and LCD viewfinder bodies work well together.

G

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Hi Terry,
It's very nice to see you back here, waiting to see more posts and test results.
Best,
-----------
Manouch

Terry

Give my regards to Broadway! :)

Certainly did a good job with it!

It would be amusing to see the GM1 fitted to the Oly ZD 50-200 with EC-20 on a tripod, or the ZD 90-250. :)

Were I to get one, tho, I'd probably have the 14/2.5 on it most of the time, or the Olympus BCL 15mm f8. Wides and LCD viewfinder bodies work well together.

G
I have both the 14 and the 15 and have been playing around with both. I will take some shots with various lenses mounted tomorrow.