The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zuiko 75-300 - is version II an improvement on the E-M1

jonoslack

HI There
I have version 1 of this lens, and it's pretty good until you get to the long end, where it's really quite soft (see attached). I'm wondering whether this is improved on the new version? Whether the Panasonic 100-300 is a better idea?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Good day, Jono. I have the version II of the 75-300 and have posted several images shot with this lens...check out the OMD thread...they're in there somewhere. I like the lens..as long as you are in the sunshine...if you can't find them, send me a PM and I will repost a few for you.
Roy Benson (benroy)

In OMD thread, p.42, #2032

Last edited:

mazor

can anyone shed light on whether version 2 is optically better than version 1? All I know the lens coatings are different, so flare resistance should be improved.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jono,

I have version II only, so I cannot compare. Anyway if you hold the camera/lens decently at 300 and have a stable stand producing sharp images with IBIS on EM1 is ok. If there is wind (like in the 2 church photos attached) holding the combo stable becomes difficult.

At 75 even strong wind does not matter and results are nice and sharp.

If conditions are ideal (cat photo) then IMHO it rocks at 300.

I would say for that price it is a pretty decent lens. And it is smaller than the Pana 100-300 and offers 75 as well, which comes in handy in many situations.

Hope that helps

Peter

Annna T

I do only have the Panasonic 100-300mm, which I don't like at all. It is never sharp at the long end when focusing rather far away. So I'm following the 75-300mm performance.

Here is the comparative DXO scoring
The Panasonic 100-300mm overall score is better because DXO heavily favors faster lenses over lower ones. But the 75-300mm II get a slightly better score for sharpening. Note that the best MFT lenses, the 75mm F1.8 get a sharpness score of 13mpix (whatever that is). This put the 6mpix of the 75-300mm II against 5mpix of the older zoom into perspective.

dhsimmonds

I must be reading the DXO charts all wrong then as I see both the 75-300 and 100-300 scoring 12 on the bar line.?

The Panny 100-300 is one of my favourite wildlife lenses and I find it exceptionally sharp even at the long end. It is best stopped down by one stop from it's F5.6 wide open.

I also have the mZuiko 75-300 mk2 which I am trying hard to like! It is slower focusing to maximum zoom than the Panny and to my eyes not so sharp. It is best at mid zoom in my opinion.

However it is smaller and lighter than the Panny 100-300 and so far it doesn't suffer lens creep whereas the Panny needs a rubber band to retain a zoom setting!

Annna T

I must be reading the DXO charts all wrong then as I see both the 75-300 and 100-300 scoring 12 on the bar line.?

The Panny 100-300 is one of my favourite wildlife lenses and I find it exceptionally sharp even at the long end. It is best stopped down by one stop from it's F5.6 wide open.

I also have the mZuiko 75-300 mk2 which I am trying hard to like! It is slower focusing to maximum zoom than the Panny and to my eyes not so sharp. It is best at mid zoom in my opinion.

However it is smaller and lighter than the Panny 100-300 and so far it doesn't suffer lens creep whereas the Panny needs a rubber band to retain a zoom setting!
If you are commenting my post of two days ago, I was speaking of the sharpness score (units in mpix), not of the global score. Also, with DXO scores change depending on the camera which was used with the lens.

ceklund

One plus for the Panasonic 100-300 is that you can order a tripod ring mount that works very nicely.
Here: Rudolf Rösch Feinmechanik
Even though it is in German, I was able to order it, because they responded to my English inquiry.

Chuck