The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-M1 firmware update 1.1 ...

Godfrey

Available now. Just finished installing on my camera. Now to see if I see any differences ... :)

Ver.1.1 (Nov. 28 2013)

- Compensation for chromatic aberration is supported when using the E-M1 and Panasonic’s LUMIX G VARIO 14- 140mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) together.

- Stabilization of shooting in the Sports mode and Children mode of the SCN mode or C-AF has been improved.

- Live bulb image quality while noise reduction is on has been improved.

- Improved AF operation.​

Elderly

I hate doing a firmware upgrade the Olympus way;
I live down the end of a country lane with not the most stable internet connection :-(
My EM-5 upgrade seemed to take an eternity whilst my fingers were very crossed that the connection didn't drop!!!

Godfrey

I live down the end of a country lane with not the most stable internet connection :-(
My EM-5 upgrade seemed to take an eternity whilst my fingers were very crossed that the connection didn't drop!!!
I can't agree more. I despise the need for a dedicated software upgrading application and a solid internet connection just to update some firmware, even though I live in an area where good connection is a given.

The update this morning didn't take very long for me to complete, but it's always a harrowing, nail-biting few minutes of waiting to see how long the download will take, whether the process completes without a problem, and hoping that the camera will not end up a brick at the end of it.

It's the one thing about working with Olympus digital cameras that I truly, seriously hate. :-\

G

mazor

hmmm ,one would have thought they would improve the live bulb quality while the noise reduction is off since the issues with the EM1 is that the sensor seems noisir than then EM5 with noise reduction off and long exposures of over 60 seconds

mazor

I guess as long as we do firmware updates for the EM1 while it is within it's warranty period, we at least have a fallback option if something does go wrong.

Godfrey

hmmm ,one would have thought they would improve the live bulb quality while the noise reduction is off since the issues with the EM1 is that the sensor seems noisir than then EM5 with noise reduction off and long exposures of over 60 seconds
bolded: I have no idea whether this is true or not. I think the longest exposure I've used with the E-M1 so far is 30 seconds, and it performed very nicely.

That it might be an "issue" is something that might affect 0.5% of the cameras users, I suspect.

G

k-hawinkler

Available now. Just finished installing on my camera. Now to see if I see any differences ... :)

Ver.1.1 (Nov. 28 2013)

- Compensation for chromatic aberration is supported when using the E-M1 and Panasonic’s LUMIX G VARIO 14- 140mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) together.

- Stabilization of shooting in the Sports mode and Children mode of the SCN mode or C-AF has been improved.

- Live bulb image quality while noise reduction is on has been improved.

- Improved AF operation.​

Many thanks Godfrey. My update was successful. :clap:

:worthless:

mazor

I think I will do some before and after tests with long exposure with my lens cap on, to see what differences this 1.1 firmware actually does :)

Godfrey

If you're that concerned with pixel noise quality at 1 minute and longer exposures ... !!

I mean, if I bought the E-M1 for astrophotography, it would be a concern. But why bother with such stuff when you just turn on dark frame reduction and it goes away?

G

mazor

True, but the discussion mentions how the EM5 seems to not have as much noise for long exposure shots with noise reduction turned off.

I know using exposures longer than 60 seconds will be used quite infrequently, but it is always nice to know there option is there.

Yes you are right, turning on the dark frame reduction will eliminate most of this noise, but, when capturing star trails, sometimes multiple exposures may be required. And the time taken for the dark frame processing, would mean there would be a gap in the trail everytime the camera does a second dark frame exposure.

I just think it is quite strange that the EM5 results on that forum show less noise than EM1, which is designed to be a newer better sensor.

Annna T

True, but the discussion mentions how the EM5 seems to not have as much noise for long exposure shots with noise reduction turned off.

I know using exposures longer than 60 seconds will be used quite infrequently, but it is always nice to know there option is there.

Yes you are right, turning on the dark frame reduction will eliminate most of this noise, but, when capturing star trails, sometimes multiple exposures may be required. And the time taken for the dark frame processing, would mean there would be a gap in the trail everytime the camera does a second dark frame exposure.

I just think it is quite strange that the EM5 results on that forum show less noise than EM1, which is designed to be a newer better sensor.
I wonder whether this could be due to the pixels used for phase detect ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Did my update today, so far I do not recognize any changes, which may be because I almost never used C-AF so far. Anyway I am very happy with my EM1 and my whole m43 system!

Godfrey

... I just think it is quite strange that the EM5 results on that forum show less noise than EM1, which is designed to be a newer better sensor.
"Better" is a qualitative assessment which depends upon what criteria you're judging against. The E-M1 sensor is a new design, rather different from the E-M5 sensor, which incorporates PDAF senscells for improved capability in the direction of supporting the SLR lens line. Whether its extended duration capture is as good as the E-M5 sensor, itself a state of the art piece on introduction a year and some back, is probably a lower priority in the design than the PDAF capabilities.

The E-M1 surely support AF operation with FT lenses FAR FAR better than the E-M5. If it gives up some long-duration noise quality in the process, and if that's most important to you, well, buy the E-M5. It's not out of production. For long duration exposures like this, AF is almost entirely irrelevant ... certainly the hallmark of PDAF support that everyone shooting Birds In Flight seems to be clamoring for is CAF and CAF+tr operation with fast sequence capture.

No one device can do all things best.

G

Godfrey

Did my update today, so far I do not recognize any changes, which may be because I almost never used C-AF so far. Anyway I am very happy with my EM1 and my whole m43 system!
Same here!

I carried the E-M1 and one of my Polaroid Spectra cameras to Thanksgiving Dinner at my friends'. The E-M1 was fitted with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and acquitted itself with distinction ... both for its ability to be controlled remotely when we shot the usual event group photo, and for the quality of the dinner spread and out-takes it captured with a sure ease that was delightful. The Spectra filled with Impossible Color Shade film did its usual fun thing too.

I'm quite delighted with the E-M1 and the FourThirds system. Lots of other equipment is going to be sold off ... I don't need it any more, and I'd rather concentrate on less equipment and more photos. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
BTW while I was in update mode, I updated all my m43 system, as far as updates were available. Everything went fast and smooth!

Also tried the Pana-Leica 1.4/25 but unfortunately there was no new FW available. Still the original version 1.0

I do hope for an update soon, which hopefully would eliminate the lens chatter (from aperture blades)!

dhsimmonds

BTW while I was in update mode, I updated all my m43 system, as far as updates were available. Everything went fast and smooth!

Also tried the Pana-Leica 1.4/25 but unfortunately there was no new FW available. Still the original version 1.0

I do hope for an update soon, which hopefully would eliminate the lens chatter (from aperture blades)!
Can the Olympus updater program actually find and load Pansonic (Leica) lens updates? ;)

I know that it can usually find an update for mZuiko lenses.

Godfrey

Can the Olympus updater program actually find and load Pansonic (Leica) lens updates? ...
The Olympus updater has worked in the past for Panasonic-Leica lenses when I was shooting with the E-5.

The version of lens firmware in my Summilux-DG 25 and Macro-Elmarit-DG 45 match the latest listed on the Panasonic website, and it lists them, so it looks like it still does.

G