The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's a good upgrade to a Lumix G1

VINCET

I've had this G1 since it was introduced a in I think 2006 or 7. I still love the images I get from this especially when I attached the 50 Summilux ASPH. I do wish for something with better low light performance. So I think it is time to upgrade this. Mainly use with Leica lenses including WATE, 25mm ZM, 35lux, 50lux and even a Nikon 105DC. What is a good body that is great with MF lens and perform great in low light situation. I think EVF is a must due to MF so I am down to GX7, G6 or GH3?

Thanks
Vince

Amin

All are good and would be a good upgrade. GX7 has image stabilization, so that is the one I would recommend.

RichA

I've had this G1 since it was introduced a in I think 2006 or 7. I still love the images I get from this especially when I attached the 50 Summilux ASPH. I do wish for something with better low light performance. So I think it is time to upgrade this. Mainly use with Leica lenses including WATE, 25mm ZM, 35lux, 50lux and even a Nikon 105DC. What is a good body that is great with MF lens and perform great in low light situation. I think EVF is a must due to MF so I am down to GX7, G6 or GH3?

Thanks
Vince
If you are looking for something at a lower price, the G5 makes a decent upgrade, since its sensor is better. Beyond that, any modern EVF m4/3rds will be a major upgrade.

Godfrey

I'd go with either the GH3 or the GX7. I found the G6 to be a little too small and too light for good balance with heavier lenses when I handled it ... the shape of the GX7 is better, the size of the GH3 is better.

Of course, if you'd like image stabilization for those lenses, the Olympus E-M1 would also be a good choice. It has the best viewfinder of all of them, and the IBIS is outstanding.

G

tbhv55

the GX7 offers peaking as a MF aid which i don't think is available on the GH3 or G6.
Focus peaking is available on the G6 (I have one:)) - I don't know about the GH3, but I would have thought that it would be available on that model, too.

That said, I don't regard it as the best implementation of peaking. The peaking highlights are in a light blue colour, which doesn't work well - for me, at least.