The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hey G1 fans.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Jack my brain is finally waking up after a long 10 days in LA but I agree. Maybe use those emotion icons a little more effectively. Words get twisted sometimes and honestly folks first send a PM and see what gives first before reacting. I know i should talk. LOL

jonoslack

Thanks for warning guys. I was interested by this little beast as a small digital back for my M lenses and a possible successor to my good old Digilux 1 but if it has more shutter lag or whatever slowness than the latter it is a deal breaker for me i'm afraid.
Well, I wouldn't be put off by a couple of oldies like us! - it's sooo much faster than the Digilux 1 that you wouldn't believe it. There is lots of good press for this camera, and it's such a huge step forwards.

My remarks were about personal use for taking pictures of people in low light - I'd rather use the M8, but I'm sure lots would disagree quite radically.

Go and try one out - seriously, I'd hate to be responsible for putting anyone off. The G1 is a huge leap forward in so many different ways, using it to replace the good old digilux1 would be like replacing a trusty old ford fiesta with a new scirocco!

LCT

Well, I wouldn't be put off by a couple of oldies like us! - it's sooo much faster than the Digilux 1 that you wouldn't believe it....
Did you have a slow Digilux 1 really? Mine is hardly slower as far as shutter lag than my DRFs (R-D1s) or DSLRs (D70, 5D).

Brian Mosley

Thanks Jack my brain is finally waking up after a long 10 days in LA but I agree. Maybe use those emotion icons a little more effectively. Words get twisted sometimes and honestly folks first send a PM and see what gives first before reacting. I know i should talk. LOL
Aw, Guy - I think those emotion icons are a lot of fun! I think they help to convey a lighthearted intent - the ones I've used above are supposed to be in good humour.

Sorry if that wasn't as obvious as it could have been :salute: (another slap to forehead)

Kind Regards

Brian

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well I almost didn't say anything, but I was concerned a few folks were maybe starting to get their feathers a bit ruffled, or knickers in a knot if you're on the other side of the pond :)D), so my intent was just to prevent that from happening.

And speaking personally re the emoticons, I chose most of them, so I think they are all pretty neat :thumbs:

jonoslack

Aw, Guy - I think those emotion icons are a lot of fun! I think they help to convey a lighthearted intent - the ones I've used above are supposed to be in good humour.

Sorry if that wasn't as obvious as it could have been :salute: (another slap to forehead)

Kind Regards

Brian
Quite right too Brian - I note with glee that there are nine emoticons left so here are several more well deserved slaps to your head:
:salute: :banghead: :salute: :banghead: :salute: :banghead: :cry:

Brian Mosley

Jono,

but which emoticon is best? there's only one way to find out!

Emoticon f i g h t ! ! ! ! ! ! ( :wtf: apologies to our stateside cousins who don't get Harry Hill's TV burp)

:banghead: :argue: :salute: :cry:

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian :angel:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
After reading through this thread again (a little painfully) I was at first :confused:

Then :sleep006:

Next I was :bugeyes:

And finally :D

My final conclusion was to :clap: for everyone involved.

P.S. As one of the less-well-informed "stateside cousins" I would realy appreciate a short glossary of terms from those residing in the British Isles. For instance, is "slagged off" a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jonoslack

P.S. As one of the less-well-informed "stateside cousins" I would realy appreciate a short glossary of terms from those residing in the British Isles. For instance, is "slagged off" a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks in advance.
Hmm, what an interesting question.
Conventionally, to be slagged off would be to be criticised by someone. However, a 'slag' is a sexist term to denote a girl of erm should we say looser than normal morals (just the type of girl I like . . and just the sort of expression I don't).

So, I suppose you could say with respect to being 'slagged off' . . I should be so lucky!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL, I think we should look into getting more of the emoticons myself. There just a lot of fun.

Brian your were fine BTW.

I do think it would be fun to do a list of slang words and there meaning. Obviously US ones are different than the Brits and Aussie's. Also our German folks around here have some interesting sayings too. Not ruling anyone out but like Tim said about the slagged off is a great example.

On a serious note if one does feel slightly offended than a quick PM to someone saying it maybe the best bet. Just ask what the meaning is. Obviously we all know the blatant ones and that is Jacks and my job to handle.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The real problem is ASCII is Too Intimate as Mike Godwin (yes, Godwin's Law Godwin) has observed.

Brian Mosley

Interesting theory - but I'm not buying it... I think we project our own emotions, insecurities and imagined motives onto what other people text. It's not that simple imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

The problem, said the director,... is that the system cannot transmit "prana." That is, it cannot transmit that almost mystical sense of life force or presence that one wants in a true meeting of minds.
Or smell either :ROTFL:
(actually I'm not joking, there is so much that is transmitted in face to face meetings).

I agree with Brian though - it's all rather complex . . . and isn't that GREAT!:bugeyes: