The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens question: Panasonic 100-300 and Olympus 50-200

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I got tired of waiting and cancelled my orders for the 40-150 f2.8 and the TC 1.4 I had sold the 100-300 and later the 50-200 so I had no long lens... I ordered a Zuiko 75-300 and I am very happy with it. It works well with the EM-1 and EM-5. As long as there is enough light, the A/F is great. It's compact and light and can produce very nice images.
I must say in this case you are a lucky guy and maybe got a good copy of this lens!

I owned the 75-300II for several month and was never satisfied with the results around the long end - too soft! So finally I sold it and waiting now for the 2.8/40-150.

dhsimmonds

I must say in this case you are a lucky guy and maybe got a good copy of this lens!

I owned the 75-300II for several month and was never satisfied with the results around the long end - too soft! So finally I sold it and waiting now for the 2.8/40-150.
Exactly my own experience. The Panny 100-300 is a far better and faster lens but my pre-ordered 40-150 F2.8 with TC14 when it arrives should be the one to use for most wildlife subjects.

silver92b

That may be... But this one lens does a pretty good job. that moon shot is equal to or better than any similar shot I got with the P 100-300 or with the 50-200 non SWB

Exactly my own experience. The Panny 100-300 is a far better and faster lens but my pre-ordered 40-150 F2.8 with TC14 when it arrives should be the one to use for most wildlife subjects.
The funny thing is that this lens focuses with less hunting than my copy of the 100-300. The 50-200 was better for A/F (faster lens), but it had some nasty flaring which often ruined the image. Also, the IQ was not consistently good. I'm pretty certain that the 40-150 f2.8 is going to be quite superior, but when the TC is added it will lose some of it's light gathering advantage and is still shorter in reach compared with the 300mm...

Of course, having said all that, I will probably end up with the lens & TC at some point. I'm an incorrigible gear addict and GAS will get me every time. I just got fed up with the waiting :rolleyes:

Knorp

Not having much to add to this discussion, but just saying that I've always been very impressed with the results of my copy of the Panny 100-300.
But I guess it's about time for improvement and I'd like to see a steady 1:4.0/100-300 mk II soon ... :lecture:

:watch:

Kind regards.