The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

camera for newbie

jlm

Workshop Member
have a friend who wants to pick something for her daughter, new to photography.
no idea of price, i'm thinking less than $500,
egad!
what a range of options

i'm partial to something with a viewfinder; last thing i would like to do is encourage chimp'n

any tips?

thx

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
G5 or G6. They are both exceptional value for money, the G6 obviously being a better camera. Somebody from Panasonic's development dept. called the G6 a GH2 and a half :)

mmbma

Unconventional, but a sure hit for kids and adults alike: Pentax wg3. It's water proof and shock proof. Imagine the fun pictures they take together. Kid proof

scott kirkpatrick

Ricoh GR? (with small VF attached.) I have a collection of the small-chip GR's, versions 1, 2, 3, and 4. 2-4 still work fine and our kids use them all the time. Fixed 28mm-eff field of view, good exposure metering. All controls available if you want to use them.

scott

JBurnett

i'm partial to something with a viewfinder; last thing i would like to do is encourage chimp'n
thx
I chimp through the viewfinder. None of my DSLR friends know this. :)

Seriously, the range of daughters is even more extensive than the range of camera choices. I love my daughter, but she would never get past a GF3 with kit lens, using the touch screen, and everything automatic. She'd treat it like crap until it broke and then go back to her cell-phone (and this, despite professing her very keen interest in learning photography). I have a niece, on the other hand, who would probably do very well with a G5 or G6 and kit zoom lens (thinking budget, here), and one could expand that basic camera kit every birthday and Christmas for the next 2-3 years until it was time for a new body.

jlm

Workshop Member
the daughter is 20+, not sure how long term her interest will be, or how much the parent wants to risk the financial investment

thx for the feedback