The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM-1half shutter press :-(

greypilgrim

So, maybe this has been addressed, and I missed it, but....

I went to a photo fair at our local shop this weekend and had the chance to both talk with the Olympus rep as well as play fairly extensively with the EM-1 (and others, but that is a different post :) ).

To set the stage, I shoot with an EM-5.

While there was lots to like, I ran into quite the annoying feature in the shutter release. Every time I tried to half press it to achieve focus, I ended up taking a picture. After some initial confusion and asking the rep, I discovered the half press was basically, barely touch it at all and no press at all. It was almost as if I were using a touch screen. Any travel of the shutter release at all took the picture.

I'm surprised I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere. And, of the multitude of cameras I have shot with, this is the first with a shutter release like this.

To make it tolerable, I ended up putting focus only an the AFL button and off the shutter release button.

Anyone else run afoul of this?

Doug

Godfrey

Must be a matter of personal preference. I find the E-M1 shutter release delightfully short travel and responsive, very positive in feel. It reminds me a lot of the E-1 shutter release.

Godfrey

cjlacz

I really like the new shutter release too. It takes a little time to get used to it, but I wouldn't prefer the E-M5 release over this. I didn't shoot the E-1, but it kind of reminds me of the Mamiya 7II. I accidentally took a photo the first time I picked it up.

greypilgrim

Must be a matter of personal preference. I find the E-M1 shutter release delightfully short travel and responsive, very positive in feel. It reminds me a lot of the E-1 shutter release.

Godfrey
Hmmm,
This wasn't short travel, this was no travel. It was like touching an iPhone. Possibly a bad sample?

To be honest, my only concern is I really like the ibis kicking in when the shutter is halfway pressed. I really like that on my EM-5, and it would be really perturbing if it was constantly firing off pics for me. With the one I tried, there would be no way I could use a glove on my shooting hand.

Doug

Godfrey

Hmmm,
This wasn't short travel, this was no travel. It was like touching an iPhone. Possibly a bad sample?

To be honest, my only concern is I really like the ibis kicking in when the shutter is halfway pressed. I really like that on my EM-5, and it would be really perturbing if it was constantly firing off pics for me. With the one I tried, there would be no way I could use a glove on my shooting hand.

Doug
Possibly just a beat up example at the store?
I've seen even the sturdiest cameras reduced to trash by a horde of eager buyers at a demo counter ... !

G

Brian Mosley

I can't say I even noticed a great difference - certainly not the dramatic lack of travel you describe.

It would be a good idea to check another sample.

Kind regards

Brian

greypilgrim

I can't say I even noticed a great difference - certainly not the dramatic lack of travel you describe.

It would be a good idea to check another sample.

Kind regards

Brian
Well, that's interesting. The rep pretty much said that it was changed, so I didn't really question it further, but it now sounds like I need to dig some more.

Thanks,

Doug

ceklund

It seems like a very normal half press. It is very smooth, but it feels like I'm pressing halfway. Then the slightest resistance and shutter is triggered. I agree with Godfrey, feels like E-1. I also have a Fuji X-E2, and it is smoother and more precise feeling than that shutter. I can't remember how the EM-5 felt.

Chuck

JBurnett

Well, that's interesting. The rep pretty much said that it was changed, so I didn't really question it further, but it now sounds like I need to dig some more.
While I'm sure there are some excellent reps out there, I've also met some real duds who will tell you anything, or, on the other hand, can tell you nothing (because they don't know squat). You were right to explore further, and to pose the question here.

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
This may help. I've had my E-M1 for two days now and the shutter release and half press has been very smooth and precise. However, about an hour ago, while fiddling around with all the menus and options I did something, don't know what, and ended up with a stiff shutter release like you describe. No half press at all. With heavy heart I scrolled through the menu options and found 'Reset/Myset' that returns all settings to default and that resolved the problem. After the reset the shutter release returned to being a tactile pleasure.
IMHO menus and buttons are the bane of digital cameras and I can understand how a demo item could end up in a similar condition. Don't give up on the E-M1, it's a delightful camera.

greypilgrim

This may help. I've had my E-M1 for two days now and the shutter release and half press has been very smooth and precise. However, about an hour ago, while fiddling around with all the menus and options I did something, don't know what, and ended up with a stiff shutter release like you describe. No half press at all. With heavy heart I scrolled through the menu options and found 'Reset/Myset' that returns all settings to default and that resolved the problem. After the reset the shutter release returned to being a tactile pleasure.
IMHO menus and buttons are the bane of digital cameras and I can understand how a demo item could end up in a similar condition. Don't give up on the E-M1, it's a delightful camera.
Interesting, a possible camera setting that affects the shutter behavior interpretation. That could also explain it.

Doug

mazor

I just got my HLD-7 vertical grip, and find the the position for half press to full shutter activation requires a longer travel than the original shutter button on the EM-1. On my E-M1, the half press is equally deep, but then from half press to full shutter activation, the travel is very little.