The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two-body Bag

JBurnett

Talking camera bags, here, not something from CSI. :)

Sometimes I like to use a variety of primes and two bodies. I prefer to have lenses mounted on both bodies (hoods on the right way), and quick access to 2-3 other lenses. I have a think-tank belt system that mostly works (with hubba-hubba hiney and think-skin 50), but there are times when I prefer a more discreet shoulder bag.

The best I've been able to find so far is the Domke 5XC. I can fit two bodies with lenses on the top layer, and up to 3 lenses below, which are still easily accessible through their own zippered opening. On the top layer, even a mounted 75mm works (with 3rd-party shorter hood), if the other camera has something smaller on it (say, the 14, 17 or 20mm). However, there are a few things I quite dislike about the Domke.

First, it has that really long outside flap that closes with velcro. Well, it used to close with velcro 'cause I took it off. Now, there's just an extra-long flap that I generally tuck behind the bag whenever I'm actively shooting. Second, the pockets on the outside are a handy size, but they're not secured in any way. The other day I hopped a fence and fortunately heard two of my spare batteries hit the ground. They'd jumped out of the pockets, and it took me a while to find them in the tall grass.

Anyway, I live in hope that something better will come along, and there are always new designs appearing. I don't have ready access to a fully-stocked store, so on-line is usually where I need to begin a search. The Domke 5XC does the job for now, but any alternative suggestions are appreciated. BTW, usually I take two bodies, 14mm + DMW-GWC1, 20mm or 25mm, 45mm (either Oly or Panasonic), and 75mm, 2-4 extra batteries and extra cards, a CPL, ND8, brush and cloth.

etrigan63

John,
whatever bag you choose, make sure you add a pair of wire cutters so you don't have to jump over fences anymore. ;)

JBurnett

My favorite bags (an I have owned a lot of different ones) are the Artisan & Artist bags.
Thanks for the idea, Brad. The "Image Smith" looks like it might do the trick from an equipment/usability standpoint. I could probably steal a raincover from one of my other bags (or pack a plastic bag) in case I got caught in a real downpour.

Artisan&Artist* Bags

dhsimmonds

I always take two bodies each with zooms fitted for wildlife work.

The Oly EM-1 with either the mZuiko 75-300 or Panny 100-300.
The wide angle zoom cam is at the moment an EM-5 with currently a 14-150 but probably soon will be replaced with another EM-1 and the new mZuiko 12-40 fitted

In addition I take a wider angle zoom 9-18 and either the MZuiko 60mm macro or the 75mm prime or LeicaDG vario elmarit 45mm macro.

These all fit into a Lowepro 180 weather proof shoulder bag with top zip and pockets inside the "lid" and front with net bags at each end. Spare batteries and SD card are inside the lid safely zipped up and lens cleaners etc are in the front pocket. There is a raincover in a pocket at the bottom.

I clamber through the New Forest (UK), on safari vehicles and up steep sandy slopes etc and have never had any problems, the bag usually just dusts off afterwards, as good as new (almost!). The cameras fit vertically into the adjustable padded pockets with lens facing down and with the body fitted straddling the pocket, all ready for quick action when needed.

I have just completed a trip of nearly 3000 miles with this outfit in very rugged conditions in Africa. The net pockets are great for carrying water bottles needed in 47C heat (in shade!) :thumbs:

Photo's here:http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1706

JBurnett

I always take two bodies each with zooms fitted for wildlife work.

The Oly EM-1 with either the mZuiko 75-300 or Panny 100-300.
The wide angle zoom cam is at the moment an EM-5 with currently a 14-150 but probably soon will be replaced with another EM-1 and the new mZuiko 12-40 fitted

In addition I take a wider angle zoom 9-18 and either the MZuiko 60mm macro or the 75mm prime or LeicaDG vario elmarit 45mm macro.

These all fit into a Lowepro 180 weather proof shoulder bag with top zip and pockets inside the "lid" and front with net bags at each end. Spare batteries and SD card are inside the lid safely zipped up and lens cleaners etc are in the front pocket. There is a raincover in a pocket at the bottom.
Great pictures, Dave! Now to which 180AW bag are you referring? I see a Pro Messenger 180AW, a Nova 180AW, a Rezo 180AW and I think there used to be a Classified 180AW.

dhsimmonds

John

It is (I think) the 180AW as it has a separate rail cover in the bottom external compartment. It is a sort of olive colour with black ends and net bags.

JBurnett

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. There are some great-looking bags among them. This thread has also reminded me that, despite its faults, the Domke F-5XC that I've been using isn't so bad for a smaller-bodied, prime set-up.

(The "Packed" depth includes the front and back pockets.)

JBurnett

Re: New Tenba Classics

OK, for the "bagaholics", Tenba has released a "classic" series that may be of interest to some M4/3 shooters.

The Classic Tenba 2 is a minimalist bag that should carry a mirrorless camera and 3 to 4 lenses. It weighs just 1lb. $60.

Classic Tenba 2

The Tenba Classic P211 carries a mirrorless camera and 3 to 5 lenses. Interestingly, it has a lens compartment in the bottom that is accessible from the outside -- a bit like my Domke F-5XC. $90.

Classic P211

Obviously, not A&A/Black Label/Billingham quality. But I like the minimalist approach.

jamesmck

This thread has also reminded me that, despite its faults, the Domke F-5XC that I've been using isn't so bad for a smaller-bodied, prime set-up.
I have just come across your mention of this bag, which seems ideal for a m4/3 two-body bag. I note that your packed dimensions of the bag (11W, 10-3/4H, 6D) differ from that given on Amazon.com for internal dimensions (9.75, 9.25, 4). Do you think that the difference is simply due to your "stuffing" of the bag? I am hoping so, as I would like to get this bag for carrying lens-on OMD EM5 and E-PL5 as in your picture. Thanks in advance.
--- James

JBurnett

I have just come across your mention of this bag, which seems ideal for a m4/3 two-body bag. I note that your packed dimensions of the bag (11W, 10-3/4H, 6D) differ from that given on Amazon.com for internal dimensions (9.75, 9.25, 4). Do you think that the difference is simply due to your "stuffing" of the bag? I am hoping so, as I would like to get this bag for carrying lens-on OMD EM5 and E-PL5 as in your picture. Thanks in advance.
--- James
James, the packed dimensions are external rather than internal. I guess I was trying to give an indication that the bag was really pretty small overall, but I let the equipment speak for the internal size. My bag was packed (comfortably)with two Panasonic G3's. I would think that an E-M5 (a few mm larger) and E-PL5 (a lot smaller) would pack pretty much the same.

jamesmck

Thanks very much, John. I have one on order. Based on your excellent pictures, I am sure it is just what I have been after.

jamesmck

John: Just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. I like the F-5XC very much. A small sealable pocket on either end would be nice, but one can't have everything.
--- James

Godfrey

Bags are really personal and difficult to recommend. I've tried dozens over the years. :=\

- A Domke F5XB has been in use for over 19 years. Wonderful small bag, doesn't hold an iPad mini though. I had an F5XC for a bit and sold it, it just didn't work for me at all. The F5XB is fine for one camera, doesn't have enough space for two bodies though

- The A&A ACAM 1000 and it's descendant, the Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag mark II" and the related "Image Smith", etc, are superb for just what you're looking for. BUT they work best with smooth top/bottom cameras like RFs. SLR shaped cameras don't slide in and out smoothly.

- For all around use, the Think Tank Photo "Mirrorless Mover 30i" has become my favorite. Depending on what kind of equipment you like to carry, it's handy and big enough for a variety of different kit configurations.

I tend to carry one body (E-M1) and three to four lenses. I could reconfigure to carry two bodies, each with a lens and hood, and two additional lenses depending on exactly what lenses they are. Here are some photos...

E-M1 kit of camera, M.Z 75, Summi 25, M-E 45, Pana 14 + wide converter:

A7 kit of camera, Elmarit-R 24, Summilux-R 50, Summicron-R 90, Elmarit-R 135:

- Lately, I've taken to using a bag I really don't like much (Sony Sling) for day to day bumming about when I'm carrying things other than the A7 or E-M1. This is because it's expandable, going from slim to capacious, and comfortable to wear. What I don't like about it is that it has little in way of structure to easy getting equipment in and out ... but that helps when I reconfigure it every other day to carry one or another between polaroids, hasselblads, and other oddments. It has a thin and flexible storage compartment (which velcros into place) and is light and cheap.

Bags are never ending sources of frustration...

G

Knorp

I'm always wrestling with my camera bag: Domke F2 (wax ware).
Especially the padding I find a nightmare.
I'd like a 'supportive' bag that could take both my E-M1 and A7r, both with lens and battery grip attached.
And room for say 2 small(ish) lenses.

The Olympus CBG-10, though pricey, seems to me a serious candidate.
Any other suggestions, anyone ?
:)

Kind regards.

Knorp

Never mind: I've got the CBG-10 now and it takes both my E-M1 and A7r, both with (medium-sized) lens and battery grip attached !

All the best.

JBurnett

Never mind: I've got the CBG-10 now and it takes both my E-M1 and A7r, both with (medium-sized) lens and battery grip attached !

All the best.
What an interesting bag! Have you used the lens mount cover? I don't know about this implementation, but a temporary "outside-the-bag" mount for either camera or lens can be handy for lens changes. I don't generally use a camera strap, but I do hang a Capture Camera clip on my bag straps. I clip the camera in so that I can have both hands free when changing lenses (or scrambling up or down terrain).

I had to laugh at some of the marketing hype about the bag:
The rain covers are finished in Olympus blue. Unlike regular black covers, spattered mud does not stand out, making it perfect for traveling.