The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

25 lux question

thomasl.se

I didn't know that re the L1. I suppose that has to be specific to this lens for that camera, otherwise too strange for a digital.

I use aperture priority AE a lot as well yet I'm not sure I'll be using this ring most of the time. But yes, some practice and I should do ok with it, I guess.

Godfrey

I didn't know that re the L1. I suppose that has to be specific to this lens for that camera, otherwise too strange for a digital.
Panasonic's original design for the L1 was based on the traditional aperture ring on the lens, shutter on the top deck idea. Put both on Auto and you get Program mode, etc. Three of the four FourThirds SLR lenses they made had aperture rings (the original 14-50/2.8-3.5, the Summilux 25 and the 14-150/3.5-5.6).

It was a good design, if a little alien to the modern "all controls on the body" idiom. All Panasonic Lumix G bodies recognize the aperture ring in A or Manual mode, it overrides any body setting for the aperture in those exposure modes.

(The L1 can control aperture on lenses without the aperture ring via the four way controller or thumb dial, but it cannot control aperture on lenses with the aperture ring any other way.)