The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official launch Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH

Annna T

If you have a lens which is defective, write Olympus about it. Provide examples as to why you are not satisfied with it. Like as not, they will do their best to make you happy, up to and including replacing it for a different one.
I sent it to Olympus support service, but it came back with the mention that the lens "was inside specifications" (however the whole service was very fast, about one week). Yet It is clearly decentered, having a very weak upper left corner and being best at the lower right corner.

It doesn't give good results unless I close it down to 5.6, while a friend's one shows already good corners at F2.8. I didn't want to pick a fight with Olympus and left it at that. But I shoot it less often and I'm careful to close it down at F5.6 when I use it. That's all.

I think that with these cheaper lenses the tolerances are wider. I prefer to use the Zeiss Contax G 45mm F2.8 when I have the time to MF. It is as sharp as the 75mm F1.8 on my E-M5.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I sent it to Olympus support service, but it came back with the mention that the lens "was inside specifications" (however the whole service was very fast, about one week). Yet It is clearly decentered, having a very weak upper left corner and being best at the lower right corner.

It doesn't give good results unless I close it down to 5.6, while a friend's one shows already good corners at F2.8. I didn't want to pick a fight with Olympus and left it at that. But I shoot it less often and I'm careful to close it down at F5.6 when I use it. That's all.

I think that with these cheaper lenses the tolerances are wider. I prefer to use the Zeiss Contax G 45mm F2.8 when I have the time to MF. It is as sharp as the 75mm F1.8 on my E-M5.
IMO, you acquiesced too quickly. If I recelved a lens like that, I'd insist that the lens does not perform to expectations and I was not satisfied with it. Demand an exchange or money back. It's not a matter of "picking a fight," it's a matter of getting what you paid for.

There's no reason to accept poor performance from a less than stellar unit. Don't give up your money so willingly—that lens costs a fifth of buying the Panasonic-Leica, which is significant. Having to stop down to f/5.6 for decent results is clearly out of bounds.

henningw

An interesting comment on digilloyd's blog about this lens (http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140107_3-Panasonic42_5f1_2.html):

"I’m not a fan of optical stabilization, because it does not improve imaging performance and in this case, I’d want to use it on the Olympus E-M1, which has superb in-body image stabilization. So those extra lens elements just make the lens heavier and more expensive and more complex and more prone to alignment errors. Well, it is what it is."

I agree with him in a very limited, mostly theoretical sense apart from his comment on the E-M1, with which I agree completely. Image stabilization won't improve IQ if the circumstances don't need image stabilization and OIS theoretically degrades such images. However, IS of whatever form has so improved the percentage of my keepers that the practical advantages of OIS were to me, when I first used it, the greatest advance in photography since in camera metering. When I switched from Nikon to Canon in the mid 90's, 50% of the reason was the OIS that Canon was starting to introduce in some lenses.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
These samples look pretty impressive!

Really tempted to get this lens, although I have now to decide to get either the Nocticron for my EM1, or the Fuji 1.2/56 for my XE2. Not sure which one would get more use ....

I generally find the EM1 with good lenses to be a stellar performer, although the XE2 is for sure superior once it comes to best IQ which I think is due to the XTrans sensor.

Decisions are really hard tough those days :D

Godfrey

They do, darn it. ;-)

Really tempted to get this lens, although I have now to decide to get either the Nocticron for my EM1, or the Fuji 1.2/56 for my XE2. Not sure which one would get more use ....

I generally find the EM1 with good lenses to be a stellar performer, although the XE2 is for sure superior once it comes to best IQ which I think is due to the XTrans sensor.

Decisions are really hard tough those days :D
I'm making my decision processes much simpler (and distraction much less..).

I'm pretty much selling off everything other than the E-M1 and Micro-FourThirds system equipment for digital capture. It's at least good enough for my intended use, better than anything else in some contexts. (I'll keep a bunch of lovely old film gear for occasional use/entertainment... ;-)

Now I just have to do the sales, then I can afford the Nocticron 42.5 and upcoming Summilux 15/1.7 when they become available. Maybe buy a second E-M1 body too, along the way.

Concentrating on one set of equipment and the photography has always been the best strategy for actually getting photography done, for me at least.

G

Zlatko Batistich

How does the autofocus compare on those two cameras? If the autofocus on one is better, will that influence your decision on which of those lenses to buy?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
How does the autofocus compare on those two cameras? If the autofocus on one is better, will that influence your decision on which of those lenses to buy?
AF is definitely better on the EM1 - faster and better tracking, which is important as I try to use it also as a wildlife camera, where I do need tracking.

Other than that I prefer the IQ and rendering of the Fuji. Now that the XE2 AF is fast and accurate enough for most situations (not as fast as the EM1 AF) I am using the XE2 more for portraits, family, casual shooting. As I said I intend to use the EM1 for wildlife, final goal to replace my Nikon D800E - I am not quite there yet.

So I will buy only one of these fast primes, currently I lean more to the Fuji, because of the areas I use the Fuji. But I am sure also the Panaleica will be excellent on any of the latest m43 bodies!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now I just have to do the sales, then I can afford the Nocticron 42.5 and upcoming Summilux 15/1.7 when they become available. Maybe buy a second E-M1 body too, along the way.

Concentrating on one set of equipment and the photography has always been the best strategy for actually getting photography done, for me at least.
I actually fully agree - so I am trying to minimize my systems always but after a while I find myself ending up with another additional great system again :)

Now maybe I will be able to get rid of my Nikon gear which is D800E based as soon as higher resolution camera types become available from Fuji and/or Olympus. I am using D800E currently as MFDB replacement and so far it does the job nicely!

Having said this, it is astonishing how good m43 (Oly based) and Fuji X have become today. So also waiting for some high speed super telephoto lenses and then my decision to get rid of Nikon will be very easy.

httivals

The Olympus 150mm f2 (the 4/3 not m43 lens) is amazing on the EM1. Autofocus tracking is good, not at Nikon pro level I'm sure, but still very good.

Godfrey

The Olympus 150mm f2 (the 4/3 not m43 lens) is amazing on the EM1. Autofocus tracking is good, not at Nikon pro level I'm sure, but still very good.
I'm very, very tempted to buy one of these lenses. I'm just not sure if it's the old Magpie Syndrome kicking in or whether I really want/will use one ... but there's no question that it is an absolutely superb lens, one of the best in the business.

Sheesh. Nocticron 42.5/1.2 or ZD 150/2 ...? Decisions, decisions. ;-)

G

httivals

I'm very, very tempted to buy one of these lenses. I'm just not sure if it's the old Magpie Syndrome kicking in or whether I really want/will use one ... but there's no question that it is an absolutely superb lens, one of the best in the business.

Sheesh. Nocticron 42.5/1.2 or ZD 150/2 ...? Decisions, decisions. ;-)

G
The 150mm f2 is a specialty lens. It's heavy and large. I use it almost exclusively on a monopod for my son's sports. I used it for some fall leaf images and it is beautiful of course, but I can't imagine going for a meandering walk with the lens.

The images are spectacular and sharp from corner to corner at all focusing distances from wide open.

Godfrey

Yes, it's definitely a lens for purposeful use. :)

I've got one on offer to me for $1500, but I suspect I'm going to pass and just enjoy the 50-200 for this long a focal length.

Besides, I need the money for the Nocticron...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I owned the 2/150 back when I shot the E1 (some 9 years ago?)!

I really loved this lens, but in the end it has its weight and finally I did not carry it around as much as I had planned. I would welcome a similar lens in m43 design, so also the wight would go down a bit - maybe make it just 2.4 or 2.5?

dhsimmonds

They do, darn it. ;-) I'm making my decision processes much simpler (and distraction much less..).

I'm pretty much selling off everything other than the E-M1 and Micro-FourThirds system equipment for digital capture. It's at least good enough for my intended use, better than anything else in some contexts. (I'll keep a bunch of lovely old film gear for occasional use/entertainment... ;-)

G[/QUOTE
Godfrey, I too made that decision almost two years ago when the em-5 first became available. I haven't looked back since and of course now added the em-1 to my stable. The latest Oly mFT IQ more than satisfies both my printing and projection requirements and as I prefer using dslr type cameras it fits my needs perfectly.

I flitted with a Fuji X Pro-1 but the lack of long focus lenses and just the handling of it ensured that I reached for the em-5 every time, so it soon went to a better home!

drofnad

As an example the 710 gramm low light monster Nikon Df & 350 gramm Nikkor 1.8/85 costs about the same as a 500 gramm E-M1 & the 425 gramm 1.2/42.5 mft lens. Just my 2 cents.
Indeed, we have a further growing land of luxuries
--surviving unless economic stresses cull out some options.
But, one counter-jab to your well-played hand above:
the EM-1 offers class-act stabilization --to which I guess
the Nikon answer is the class-act high-ISO to up shutter speed.

I remember looking at a shot of photo journalist Alison Wright
running, on the *job*, with a pair of pair of D3 Nikons and the
usual 24-70, 70-200? & whatever other ... ,
and thinking Shouldn't m4/3 greatly lighten her load?
The AF hadn't been adequate, I guess, nor the toughness.
Now, though, I should think that some such non-burly PJs
will re-think their gear list; having the tiny GM1 as both
an inconspicuous and low-wgt/size back-up camera must
count as a good option (as toughness doesn't help in the case
of theft or ...)!

Jorgen wrote:
If I were rich, I could buy all the camera/lens combinations that I fancied, and I could hire a slave to carry them for me.
But that sounds like a quite encumbered photographic outing
--at least, hardly "street"! :D And would you be able to get
well acquainted with all the lovely gear that piqued interest?
In this regard, it's quite the contrast to read about (e.g.)
the late Willy Ronis (France) --to wit:
[ ]
Sep 12, 2009 :: Willy Ronis passed away today...

One of my favourite photographer...

During the 73 years of his career (he was 99 years old) he only used 3 cameras... . One of them (from the 70s to today, if I remember well) was a Pentax ME Super and a 24-50/f4 (or maybe a 24-35/f4, I can't quite remember)...

If you never heard of him, check his work out... there is a story in everyone of his pictures...
"only 3 cameras" :: sounds like some of today's half-yearly quotas!
(with careers less durable) (Though along with "cameras"
should be mentioned "films".)

-d.