The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M5 firmware update

Annna T

Olympus has just announced a firmware update (2.0) for the E-M5 : it will add smaller AF target (E-P5 like) and ISO 100 (extended, thus probably with a DR loss, but working for raws too).

Olympus - Downloads

The smaller AF target is welcome : as of now I'm constantly using the magnifier to have it available and it slows things considerably.

I wish they would add focus peaking and the possibility to store custom settings (Mysets) on the PASM wheel too, but this is still a very good news.

I guess this new firmware has something to do with the fact that Olympus is introducing a new kit with the E-M5 and 12-40mm. It also shows that they will continue to sell the E-M5 for quite a while IMO and that we may have to wait a little more to get an E-M5 successor (which i hope will not only have the new processor, but also the better VF4 equivalent)

f6cvalkyrie

I've just upgraded my E-M5 firmware.
The new iso setting does not read 100 on the display, but "low".

I need to search the manual for the small AF target (don't use AF lenses so often ...)

C U,
Rafael

mazor

The displayed "low" for ISO 100 is the same even for the E-M1. The reason for this is to let you know that you are entering a pushed ISO mode, where the image will expose ISO 100 equivalent, and will benefit from lower noise, but with a compromise of less dynamic range. It more than likely is not recommended for harsh lighting conditions or where good dynamic range is required.

f6cvalkyrie, you are missing out on alot of the benefits of m43 if you do not use AF lens. Using legacy lens on m43 exclusing penF to me seems like a loss, as there is so much glass not being used thanks to the 2.0x crop, plus m43 glass can be smaller for the equivalent focal length.

Not saying I do not want to use legacy glass on my E-M1, but if I did, I would require some sort of speed booster as it would mean lens designed for full frame would benefit from a 1 stop advantage in light gathering and bokeh, plus more of the lens coverage area would be used.

greypilgrim

I use all sorts of legacy glass and enjoy it (yes, including a Speed Booster as I've commented elsewhere). I even **gasp** use my m43 lenses in MF mode as well :) at times.

I'd have to agree that focus peaking would be nice. The addition of ISO 100 is useful.

Doug