The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the G1 available body only?

I am very tempted to try some M lenses on it, but not any of the kit zooms. I haven't seen an option to buy just the body, has anyone else? thanks...Peter

thanks Brian. Also, I understand cameraquest has an M adapter. Does John Militch as well, and is there any thing to choose between them?

Terry

The Cameraquest adapter which we believe is being made by Rayqual is not yet available.

John has two different adapters both made out of bronze one is for M mount Lenses and the other for thread mount. He is planning a bit of redesign on the M mount from some user feedback.

jonoslack

Hi Peter
Novoflex also make an adapter which is available, and works okay, but has the irritation that you have to take the adaptor off the camera to change lenses.

As for the kit lens, the 14-45 only costs a few quid, and it's really very very good - certainly worth paying for just in case you might want autofocus and image stabilisation.

Terry

The original plan from Panny when it was announced was to have 3 variations:
Body only
Body + 14-45
body + 14-45 and 45-200

Perhaps they are still filling the channel with the one lens kit or potentially waiting for the new body that can do video.

simonclivehughes

Body only
Body + 14-45
body + 14-45 and 45-200

Perhaps they are still filling the channel with the one lens kit or potentially waiting for the new body that can do video.
That's interesting Terry, I had asked my dealer to find out about this and he reported back that no, Panasonic would not be selling the body alone. Perhaps there is hope after all?

Ciao,

Body only
Body + 14-45
body + 14-45 and 45-200

The possibility of a video equipped G1 may keep me on the sidelines till it comes out, but this baby is hard to resist....Peter

andrewteee

The G1 is an entirely brand new camera type and the assumption would be that no one has lenses for it yet. The use of adapters is an exception, and not likely not an important part of the business model. I would guess that distributors would also prefer to only sell kits at this point.

And agreed, the G1 kit lens is a very good one, and small and light. What's not to like.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The possibility of a video equipped G1 may keep me on the sidelines till it comes out, but this baby is hard to resist....Peter
I was thinking the same thing at first, but given the popularity of the initial offering and all of our positive comments, I would expect to see a price increase for the video version when it ships :rolleyes:

Brian Mosley

I'm expecting the G1HD to be quite a high powered version of the G1, with a price tag to match. Not interested in video - but salivating at the possibilities the extra horsepower may bring to the straight photography... Silent shutter? High speed burst mode? Smooth continuous EVF? What about storage... will SDHC be fast enough?

I'm really enjoying the G1, but the G1HD is the one to watch IMHO. As well as the Olympus offering.

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

HI Peter
I think the Olympus possibilities are a better reason to wait - much smaller, probably with sensor stabilisation.

fordfanjpn

I am very tempted to try some M lenses on it, but not any of the kit zooms. I haven't seen an option to buy just the body, has anyone else? thanks...Peter
They sell the body alone here in Japan. The price is 69,800 yen (at Yodobashi). However, the Panasonic cameras sold in Japan are locked in Japanese mode and can't be switched to any other language.

Bill

Jono- I'm in the dark about the Olys, but any smaller might start to be too little of a good thing, my hands are big.

Bill- Interesting, another reason to learn Japanese. Would that I could.
best...Peter

Terry

I'm a bit confused :confused:. Everyone is waiting for the Oly solution.

They showed a mock-up at Photokina but I can't imagine how this competes with the G1 if you want to shoot Leica or other MF lenses. Unless they plan on introducing a completely different model or they make an EVF that fits in the hot shoe, I don't know how you would use the camera. Hold it out in front of you with one hand and try to both focus and change the aperture with the other -- all while looking at the LCD? :banghead:

So while it looks like it could be a great camera for small primes, they would need to be AF lenses.

Last edited:

monza

:) Just the post I've been wanting to see for a few months. :)

If I see another post about 'waiting for the oly' I'm going to link to post 19 of this thread. :clap: