The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Three fast 25mm primes compared (50mm equivalent)

Annna T

A Dutch site has published a comparative review of the three 25mm lenses available for MFT bodies : here an English link through google translate

There is a test with full size photos for download. I'd say : advantage to the Olympus which has sharper corners at F1.8, is lighter and cheaper .. But I already own the Panasonic.. What I dislike most in the Panasonic is the cumbersome hood, which can't be reversed for storing, but I like its rendering..

kweide

I made the failure to mount the 25 mm M.Zuiko to my EM-1. WOW it is a hell easier to handle, the hood is great, the lens even with mounted hood small. The lens executing fast, nearly without any sounds and the best: it produces razor-sharp images edge to edge without CAs. Well i put the money on the desk... the rest is normal operation :) The Pana lens is open to sell :)

Annna T

I made the failure to mount the 25 mm M.Zuiko to my EM-1. WOW it is a hell easier to handle, the hood is great, the lens even with mounted hood small. The lens executing fast, nearly without any sounds and the best: it produces razor-sharp images edge to edge without CAs. Well i put the money on the desk... the rest is normal operation :) The Pana lens is open to sell :)
Interesting : since you seem more involved in people photography than anything else (at least going from what you show here), I thought you would rather keep the Panasonic.

The Panasonic takes as much place in the bag as the 75mm which irks me. If the Olympus was already out when I bought the Panasonic, I would have got the Olympus instead. But I'm not so good at reselling stuff, so I'll keep the Panasonic.

kweide

Interesting : since you seem more involved in people photography than anything else (at least going from what you show here), I thought you would rather keep the Panasonic.

The Panasonic takes as much place in the bag as the 75mm which irks me. If the Olympus was already out when I bought the Panasonic, I would have got the Olympus instead. But I'm not so good at reselling stuff, so I'll keep the Panasonic.
Yes Annna, people photography is my interest, not the only. But i found that the Pana lens was quite often a bit soft when it comes to sharpness in the eyes. My first tries with the Oly lens on this stuff gave me a smile back into the face. SHARP !! SPOT ON ! And it has a better contrast which enhances the sharpness impression as well.

Annna T

Yes Annna, people photography is my interest, not the only. But i found that the Pana lens was quite often a bit soft when it comes to sharpness in the eyes. My first tries with the Oly lens on this stuff gave me a smile back into the face. SHARP !! SPOT ON ! And it has a better contrast which enhances the sharpness impression as well.
Very interesting : I often get unsharp pictures with family shots when using the Panasonic, but I attributed it to user error. Mmm..

kweide

Very interesting : I often get unsharp pictures with family shots when using the Panasonic, but I attributed it to user error. Mmm..
Dont´t try it with f1.4 :) DoF is too small for such. Family portraits, groups, needs a smaller aperture to get all in acceptable sharpness, or simply do two to five fast shots of the group ( what i normally do ) with different focus points. A fast focus stack gives perfect sharpness :)

But Yes i often had soft results with that Pana when it comes to single portraits focused on the eye. AF field was small and i could see it thru the finder. With the new 25 f1.8 it was all spot on !