The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 and 90AA Leica M

wolverine

Thanks Peter. The web image does not do it justice. Not even close. I am sitting here looking at a 9x12 print out of Qimage. I have never had this quality of a print with Nikon or Canon. The detail is wonderful and the color spectacular. This lens is amazing on the G1. Frank

Thanks Peter. The web image does not do it justice. Not even close. I am sitting here looking at a 9x12 print out of Qimage. I have never had this quality of a print with Nikon or Canon. The detail is wonderful and the color spectacular. This lens is amazing on the G1. Frank
Frank - I have the wonderful 90 AA. Pics like yours ensure the G1 will get to ride it in the near future. best...Peter

N

nei1

Be nice to see a direct comparison between the leica and panasonic lenses of the same image;here is a rare and real opportunity to literaly see what weve all paid so much money for.

Be nice to see a direct comparison between the leica and panasonic lenses of the same image;here is a rare and real opportunity to literaly see what weve all paid so much money for.
Here is one: http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_01/section_gear_cameras/20081119_Panasonic_G1/index.html

So far (got the adapter a few days ago) my experiences are very similar, but I haven´t any direct comparisons ready.

Actually, the kit lens is very, very good. The main difference, of course, is the shallower depth of field possible with faster lenses. And then, there are lots and lots of old lenses, all with their unique ways of drawing an image.

So IMHO the value of these adapters isn´t to get something "better" than the kit lens (whatever that means), but to get other options altogether.

N

nei1

Thanks Per,Im finding this fascinating,never was a pixel peeper before,another sign of advancing years I guess.

wolverine

Comparison to Kit lens

Not an exact comparison. Kit lens at 66mm (35 format) f/5.4. Colors are very close. Not quite as sharp, but it is a kit zoom. Still very good printed.

peterb

The 90AA is SWEET. But actually the shot with the kit lens is QUITE good too. Love the bird! (Not near any airports are you?)

Peter

N

nei1

To see anything I think the photos will have to be enlarged quite a bit,I dont expect to see any massive improvement with the leica glass,law of diminishing returns etc,but there should be a difference and just maybe it will be possible to actually see what it is that "is" leica,that transparent bit of nothing that transforms a photo......or maybe not.

wolverine

I agree Neil. As I stated in my post, the web image does not do it justice. I don't do photography for the web, I do it for print. You should see the 9x12 printout. It is outstanding. I have owned a lot of Nikon and Canon's best. The 90 AA beats them all. The color, contrast, detail, sharpness, etc. It really is that good. The G1 is meeting a lot of peoples expectations for high quality output. :thumbup: :clap:

Peter - live near airports??? Frank

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Little trick folks for the web do very little sharpening if any. I actually have nice results at processing my files with a low sharpness applied and make them for the web than add any extra sharpening after the fact for print or clients as needed but go very light on sharpening for the web and 900 pixels at the longest length and srgb for web stuff. Bottom line I process the large Tifs at 16 bit with low sharpening as my finals to store than add what I need later but make my web stuff from those original Tif finals since they have low sharpening.

O

olyinaz

Good points to bring up Guy. Regarding sharpening I've also noticed that the G1, with it's relatively weaker AA filter, can't take as much sharpening for the web as most Olympus DSLR images can. The E-3 is, in my view, significantly softer than the G1 but that's not a criticism because it won't paint jaggies on things like rigging and edges as quickly as the G1 will. On the other hand I'd have to go with the G1 for landscape shots.

The switch to LCD monitors has really upped the game in this regard because they're so much sharper than our lovely old CRTs used to be.

Finally, the resizing algorithm used can help to mitigate jaggies and/or aliasing artifacts in web sized images as well. I use a Lanczos algorithm for resizing (in FastStone) as I think it does the best all around job but many popular editors do not feature that algorithm (for example CS3 does not but I suspect the new CS4 has added it).

Just a few of my thoughts on the subject - sorry for the thread drift.

That 90mm Leica shot is simply lovely! Colors and contrast are out of this world!

Cheers,
Oly

peterb

I agree as well. I'd found that files out of the camera are so good that when you applied the 'standard' sharpening to them with PSE it over did it...so I just do it just a 'tad'. And have been very happy.

Peter

lmr

Taken a couple of days ago... Mixed Russian Blue.

Lens: M 90 AA @ F2.
Resize, adjusted the lighting (Made it slightly darker) and post.

This lens seems to find its way on to my M8 & G1...