The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A superfast normal on the G1

R

robertasumendi

Has anybody tried one of these or the 25mm version? CCD Direct can get the 25's too, for the same price.

P

plasnu

Today on Ebay, Kern Macro Switer 25mm/F1.1 was sold for $1099 and Schneider Xenon CCTV 25mm/F0.95 lens for $810. I'm wondering if the price of these lens is fair or just hyped.

BYW, Here is the list of C-mount 25mm lens with image circle size for G1. Some of the lenses has unknown image circle size.

Angenieux 25/0.95 - covers 90%+ of uFT
Kern Macro Switer 25mm/F1.1 - ?
Kern Switer 25mm/F1.4 - 90% (souce : frickr)
Kern Yver 25mm/F2.5 - ?
Schneider Cine Xenon 25mm/F0.95 - No (Source : Ebay)
Schneider Xenon 25mm/F1.4 - Yes or No, depends on version (Source : Ebay)
Schneider Xenon CCTV 25mm/F0.95 - ?
Schneider Xenoplan CCTV 1.9/25mm - 100% (Source : evar-futura @Ebay)
SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95 - 100%
Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon 25mm1.4 - 90%

Please follow up.

Last edited:
P

plasnu

I also checked the retail price of those lenses. Brand new Macro Switers are still sold at Bolex Swiss, The price is about $2500 US. They must be really good lenses...

Today on Ebay,

Kern Macro Switer 25mm/F1.1 was sold for $1099
For precisions sake, it was a 26mm, that is a different sort of animal and very very rare

I'm wondering if the price of these lens is fair or just hyped.
The prices have soared since we are having the discussions and tests on this and other fora and a new use has been found for these old lenses

Here is the list of C-mount 25mm lens with image circle size for G1.
Please follow up.
There is a Schneider publication which gives some details. It does not state the coverage, but at least a negative list of lenses that are not fit for 1". I am attaching it to this post, for whatever use you want to make of it. Double-click on the picture to open (needs Adobe Reader)

View attachment 13366

Last edited:

djonesii

Workshop Member
BYW, Here is the list of C-mount 25mm lens with image circle size for G1. Some of the lenses has unknown image circle size.

Angenieux 25/0.95 - covers 90%+ of uFT
Kern Macro Switer 25mm/F1.1 - ?
Kern Switer 25mm/F1.4 - 90% (souce : frickr)
Kern Yver 25mm/F2.5 - ?
Schneider Cine Xenon 25mm/F0.95 - No (Source : Ebay)
Schneider Xenon 25mm/F1.4 - Yes or No, depends on version (Source : Ebay)
Schneider Xenon CCTV 25mm/F0.95 - ?
Schneider Xenoplan CCTV 1.9/25mm - 100% (Source : evar-futura @Ebay)
SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95 - 100%
Carl Zeiss Jena Tevidon 25mm1.4 - 90%

add
Kodak Ektar 25mm 1.4 95%

Dave

I also checked the retail price of those lenses. Brand new Macro Switers are still sold at Bolex Swiss, The price is about $2500 US. They must be really good lenses...
They must be old stock (or made by somebody else). The Kern company, the maker of the Switar lenses, was taken over in 1988 by Leica and the plant closed down in 1991.

To make the disaster complete, what remained was destroyed or thrown away. The Aarau Technical Museum was able to recuperate some documents from the trash, but most designs and technical documentation was lost forever.

View attachment 13377
The Kern factory in 1979

I often drive by the old Kern factory in Aarau, it has been converted to a school and offices.

Last edited:

LizaWitz

Has anybody tried one of these or the 25mm version? CCD Direct can get the 25's too, for the same price.
If I'm reading those specs right, the back focal length on this lens is 13.89mm so the G1 would have the sensor a bit further back than it should be at 20mm, making the lens a bit less wide than rated, guaranteeing coverage?

Could someone with more experience with C mount look at those specs?

A f0.95 lens for $390 seems like a steal!

If I'm reading those specs right, the back focal length on this lens is 13.89mm so the G1 would have the sensor a bit further back than it should be at 20mm, making the lens a bit less wide than rated, guaranteeing coverage?

Could someone with more experience with C mount look at those specs?

A f0.95 lens for $390 seems like a steal!
Liza,

According to the ad, the lenses are for a max. of 2/3" (11mm), while the G1 needs 23.5mm coverage (image diagonal), so you would end up with a round picture about half the diameter of the G1, the rest would be smearing and/or vignetting. The fact that they come in c-mount is irrelevant.

Cheers
Peter

R

robertasumendi

Liza,

According to the ad, the lenses are for a max. of 2/3" (11mm), while the G1 needs 23.5mm coverage (image diagonal), so you would end up with a round picture about half the diameter of the G1, the rest would be smearing and/or vignetting. The fact that they come in c-mount is irrelevant.

Cheers
Peter
Actually, the full specs here indicate it's for 1" sensor, so it's a little better. Wolfgang Raabe claims here the Navitar 50/0.95 covers the full sensor on G1 with room to spare, but who knows how the 25mm would do.

A 25/0.95 16mm cine lens sold on ebay today for $260, wish I could have bid on that one....

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Here are a couple of shots from the G1 using the Pentax 28mm, F1.4 CCTV lens.
First one is F4, Second is F8. Both are jpeg direct from camera at ISO 100
Vignetting on both with considerable smearing - but the color is lovely (not so subtle in this size)
Focused on infinity

Some Holga folks will love these little c-lenses

Keith

Here are a couple of shots from the G1 using the Pentax 28mm, F1.4 CCTV lens. Vignetting on both with considerable smearing - but the color is lovely
Some Holga folks will love these little c-lenses
Beautiful colors. And indeed, we have found a new Holga, a bit pricey though ...

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Picture #2 raw file, cropped and worked on in Lightroom

Peter you are right, an expensive Holga. Not so bad if you already have the G1 though. But I wonder if the days of picking up c-lenses at absurd prices has gone? Pin holes are cheap though.

phobus

It would be VERY interesting if the 25mm 0.95 1" version can focus to infinity. From measuring the pixels on the cad drawing the diameter is around 36mm which would work nicely with the current adapters. The diameter of the 50 0.95 is way bigger, which I guess is why the one on ebay has a custom mount on it.

Actually, the full specs here indicate it's for 1" sensor, so it's a little better. Wolfgang Raabe claims here the Navitar 50/0.95 covers the full sensor on G1 with room to spare, but who knows how the 25mm would do.

A 25/0.95 16mm cine lens sold on ebay today for $260, wish I could have bid on that one....

B

butterdada

Angenieux 25/1.4 is ok
Nikon cine nikkor 25/1.4 & Bausch & lomb 26/1.9 --> the front ring is a little too long.
So just small vignetting developed when wide open .

R

robertasumendi

It would be VERY interesting if the 25mm 0.95 1" version can focus to infinity. From measuring the pixels on the cad drawing the diameter is around 36mm which would work nicely with the current adapters. The diameter of the 50 0.95 is way bigger, which I guess is why the one on ebay has a custom mount on it.
I got an email back on the 50, he said he had to do the custom m4/3 mount to get it to focus to infinity. I don't know if machining was an option. Anyhow, check out the photos from the 50... they look really good!

Last edited:

monza

Yes, looks like he took off the c-mount and replaced it with a custom m4/3 flange. Nice work. Although Rabe's photos always have way too much dust, he shouldn't use flash. :)

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

i just bought today, for 100 Euro, a cine camera, with 3 lenses on it.
One is a c-mount Bell & Howell 1inch, f1.9 super comat
The screw thread seems like 24 mm large.

Is there a convertor for G1 ?

TIA for your info
Rafael

PS, the 2 other lenses :

Kodak Cine Ektar 15mm f2.5
Cine Kodak telephoto 152 f4.5

Same adapter, evt, I suppose ??