The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A superfast normal on the G1

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,
i just bought today, for 100 Euro, a cine camera, with 3 lenses on it.
One is a c-mount Bell & Howell 1inch, f1.9 super comat
PS, the 2 other lenses :
Kodak Cine Ektar 15mm f2.5
Cine Kodak telephoto 152 f4.5

Hei,

I found my new camera on the net : here it is :

Not exactely in the same shape, but definitely this one.
Lenses as above

CU
Rafael

R

Ranger 9

Looks like a Bell & Howell Automaster, a solidly-made amateur camera that used 16mm film magazines, as opposed to spools, for easier loading. (The classic spool-load 16mm Bell & Howell was the 70D series, originally designed for amateur filmmaking but widely adopted by professionals because of its quality and near-indestructibility.)

I don't know anything about your other lenses, but I've read that the Cine Ektars were designed for Kodak's professional-grade Cine-Special II camera and were considered some of the best of their era. It should be interesting to try out on the G1!

wjlapier

Looks like a Bell & Howell Automaster, a solidly-made amateur camera that used 16mm film magazines, as opposed to spools, for easier loading. (The classic spool-load 16mm Bell & Howell was the 70D series, originally designed for amateur filmmaking but widely adopted by professionals because of its quality and near-indestructibility.)

I don't know anything about your other lenses, but I've read that the Cine Ektars were designed for Kodak's professional-grade Cine-Special II camera and were considered some of the best of their era. It should be interesting to try out on the G1!

I have the Kodak Cine Ektar 15/2.5 and it is a very sharp lens. However, as with all the wides I've used it doesn't cover the sensor of the G1 completely. But it is very usable and you'll get some nice sharp pics from it.

There is a Bell and Howell in my town that I've been asking about. It's in an old camera drugstore and sits on a shelf. Two Angenieux lenses! I've got my fingers cross that they will consider it junk and old and give it to me!

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

the camera is indeed a B&H Filmo Auto Master.

I'm looking forward to receiving the c-mount adaptor from Monza, then I'll be able to adapt the lenses to the G1 and find out about the qualities and drawbacks.

The guy in the camera shop did not believe his ears, when I told him what I was going to do with this camera. I think he was very sorry that the price was clearly mentionned on the camera, so he had no opportunity to get more for his lenses.

And, btw, the camera mechanism seems in good working order.

Have a nice day,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

the camera is indeed a B&H Filmo Auto Master.

I'm looking forward to receiving the c-mount adaptor from Monza, then I'll be able to adapt the lenses to the G1 and find out about the qualities and drawbacks.

The guy in the camera shop did not believe his ears, when I told him what I was going to do with this camera. I think he was very sorry that the price was clearly mentionned on the camera, so he had no opportunity to get more money for his lenses.

And, btw, the camera mechanism seems in good working order.

Have a nice day,
Rafael

LizaWitz

It seems that Mr. Futura is now charging $1,300 for the navitar 50mm f0.95 and his custom mount. I've seen these lenses from various suppliers for around $800.

Looks like the 25mm will work with current C-mounts, but the 50mm will not? Still $400 for a custom mount is either cheap or expensive depending on your perspective.

Jonas

Here is the samples of 26mm f1.1

That image look pretty good to me. Was the lens stopped down a bit?

It seems as the lens doesn't cover the full sensor but it is still interesting. Do you have more samples, wide open and slightly stopped down, perhaps with some OOF highlights in the background?

regards, /Jonas

Photomorgana

Here are 2 shots of a magazine laying on the table, one at f1.1 and second at about f1.8 or so.
The bokeh is absolutely beautiful. Vignetting is disappearing the more you closing down the aperture, so by f5.6 its pretty much gone so the lens can be used for super sharp landscapes at that point.

R

Ranger 9

Photomorgana, just to make sure I haven't lost the thread of this discussion: The lens with which you made the sample photos was the Kern Switar 26mm f/1.1?

Whatever it was, the sharpness of the sharp areas looks impressive, and the bokeh seems nicely smooth both before and behind the subject plane, which is a rather unusual attribute!

Photomorgana

Yes, the lens is Switar 26 f/1.1
You are right it is truly impressive lens, but with a very high price tag. ☺
Angenieux 25 f/0.95 is pretty sharp as well with nice bokeh and a tiny bit more vignetting. Can be had for a bit cheaper (I cant afford to keep both ☺

phobus

Yes, the lens is Switar 26 f/1.1
You are right it is truly impressive lens, but with a very high price tag. ☺
Angenieux 25 f/0.95 is pretty sharp as well with nice bokeh and a tiny bit more vignetting. Can be had for a bit cheaper (I cant afford to keep both ☺
Thats pretty cool! The Switar 26 1.1 seems to be a really nice lens. How much difference is there in the exposure time between the 0.95 and the 1.1 in low light (w/ the G1 :))? Also, do you have any samples of the 1.1 in 4:3 mode?

Thanks!

Jonas

Here are 2 shots of a magazine laying on the table, one at f1.1 and second at about f1.8 or so.
The bokeh is absolutely beautiful. Vignetting is disappearing the more you closing down the aperture, so by f5.6 its pretty much gone so the lens can be used for super sharp landscapes at that point.
Thank you Photomorgana. The little I have seen this far from the Kern Switar Macro 26/1.1 is impressive. When you say vignetting goes away as the lens is stopped down - is that valid also for images in 4:3 aspect of ratio?
Is it OK with more questions...? What size is the lens, compared to the the 14-42 kit lens for example? Regards, /Jonas

Jonas

Thats pretty cool! The Switar 26 1.1 seems to be a really nice lens. How much difference is there in the exposure time between the 0.95 and the 1.1 in low light (w/ the G1 :))?
In theory the difference between f/1.1 and f/0.95 is a little less than half a stop (0.42 stops). In real life? I don't know as I don't have any of the lenses but I guess the difference is less than so. It depends on the T value and where you measure.

(Btw; there is 0.70 stops between f/1.4 and f/1.1. My brain works with half stops and it is hard for me to grasp 0.7 stops. I think about it as well over half a stop.) Regards, /Jonas

Photomorgana

Dear phobus,
Yes the difference between f0.95 and f1.1 is about 1/3 stop. Exposure on Angenieux shows 1/250, when I switch to Switar it becomes 1/200.
Vignetting in 4:3 mode is a little more than in 16:9, I dont have pix.

Photomorgana

Jonas,
No vignetting does not go away in 4:3 aspect ration, and I should not say it goes away completely in 16-9 either. It becomes less pronounced.
Here is my take on F0.95 and F1.1 lenses -
they are very sharp and contrasty, even if not when out of the camera, Auto Levels in pp will yell great results, no more editing is necessary.

Those lenses are essential for available light portraits or with dark backgrounds, where vignetting not going to matter. Its not for studio work. Considering size of these lenses, everyone should have one of them in the camera bag.

The Switar has a little less vignetting that f0.95 lens, but still visible, but Im willing to crop. Based on my observations if you shoot at 16-9 ratio and crop the image to look like 4-3 ration your field of view will jump from 50mm to be closer to 70mm lens. And to me 70mm equivalent FOV with f0.95 is a WOW factor. (so what I have to crop a little, all of my images go through pp and 50% of them I crop anyway, not for vignetting but just for composition. You can not fix lack of detail, or chronic softness, or glare, but vignetting is bs, leica f0.95 vignettes a little as well.

Photomorgana

Jonas,

here is the size comparison - from left to right...
panasonic 14-45mm, Angenieux 25mm f0.95, Switar 26mm f1.1 and Switar 75mm f1.9 (both Switars are Macro...

Jonas

Jonas,
here is the size comparison - from left to right...
Small enough, good enough, perhaps expensive but I'll see if I can find one. I have given up on prices and considering them rental fees anyway, not knowing the cost until it is sold. If a lens is good enough to stay with for years the price is of less importance anyway.

Vignetting and not covering the sensor are two different things. Vignetting is OK to me. Not covering the sensor is also OK if I know about it and can use the lens for my purposes. Very many of my images end up 1:1 or close to 1:1 anyway.

Thank you for the images, and the size comparison. You got me worried there for a moment... You know "...everyone should have one of them in the camera bag." reminds me about what I have heard about the EF85/1.2L as well. ;)

thank you, /Jonas