The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A superfast normal on the G1

wjlapier

I just got one of the 75/1.9 Switars, but it's not a macro lens. Closest focus is less than 5ft. Sharp lens and covers the sensor! I'm liking the teles primes more and more--sure are alot of nice ones :thumbup:

Oh, the two 26/1.1 macro Switars I saw are $1100 and $1400. The $1400 is new in the box :bugeyes: Too much money for me.

Photomorgana

wjlapier,
Switar 75mm f1.9 is an excellent lens and I have one as well. Its just cant focus as close as Macro version but also cost half the price. Its a good time to buy them, I saw them going on feebay for around $300 which is an excellent deal.

I believe when Oly will introduce their model and as more people will buy in to this format, those Kern marvels will be hard to find and will sell for much more.

monza

I haven't seen the 75mm Kern, but I *really* like the 75mm Angenieux f/2.5. A bit slower, but very small, light, and great. It's also seen as a 3" f/2.5, and some versions are labeled Bell and Howell.

Photomorgana

I haven't seen the 75mm Kern, but I *really* like the 75mm Angenieux f/2.5. A bit slower, but very small, light, and great. It's also seen as a 3" f/2.5, and some versions are labeled Bell and Howell.
Yes, very good lens as well. I sold 2 of them and still have one more left. Angenieux has manufactured some good lenses. Do not underestimate Wollensak, it might be a bit heavier and not as sharp wide open, still good. I might have one coming soon.

Im thinking on writing a little general guide to c-mount lenses, since I have access to a lot of them. (My friend is in cine business and let me borrows his old stuff. Some of those old glass has many stories behind them). Need to find time to test them. :)

P

pix2pixels

This Sigma lens could look like a good candidate for a fast 'normal'. As they already have lenses with 4/3 mounts, maybe in the future they will bring this one in their line-up with full AF and aperture control.

Diane B

This Sigma lens could look like a good candidate for a fast 'normal'. As they already have lenses with 4/3 mounts, maybe in the future they will bring this one in their line-up with full AF and aperture control.
I have that lens in EF mount--very nice lens, heavy and big though. I used it a lot on 1.6x bodies but rarely on my 5D.

I'm curious about the Sigma 30 f/1.4. I've never shot with it, think its available in 4/3rds mount--and its always been a highly debated lens on the Canon forums--though doesn't really qualify for a 'normal'.

Diane

Photomorgana

I have that lens in EF mount--very nice lens, heavy and big though. I used it a lot on 1.6x bodies but rarely on my 5D.

I'm curious about the Sigma 30 f/1.4. I've never shot with it, think its available in 4/3rds mount--and its always been a highly debated lens on the Canon forums--though doesn't really qualify for a 'normal'.

Diane
Sigma 30mm is not bad, a little soft in corners, and I ve heard about non consistency in quality. I bought Leica 25mm f1.4 over a year ago and I love the lens. Arguably the best 50 equivalent of any brand, dpr must review it, seriously. Its heavy and expensive thou, and not easy to find.

Jonas

Sigma 30mm is not bad, (...)
I bought Leica 25mm f1.4 over a year ago and I love the lens. Arguably the best 50 equivalent of any brand, dpr must review it, seriously. Its heavy and expensive thou, and not easy to find.
I have owned both these lenses and I tried them in parallel when I used Olympus cameras. Back then I kept the Sigma (after some initial troubles having the lens replaced and recalibrated - the Sigma Scandinavia service center is close to where I live) for the image quality and the size.

For use on a Panasonic camera I would keep the Panasonic 25/1.4 thanks to the functionality (setting the aperture with the ring and dedicate the front camera wheel for exposure compensation).

For the G1 I'm not interested in either of the lenses. A manual Sigma never getting sharp across the frame, nah. The big and expensive Panasonic weighting a ton is the opposite to what the µ4/3 system is about for me. If I really need AF and auto aperture and can't wait for the G20/1.7, well, then there is no other option. But that is hardly an idea suddenly popping up, is it?

fwiw, /Jonas

Photomorgana

I have owned both these lenses and I tried them in parallel when I used Olympus cameras. Back then I kept the Sigma (after some initial troubles having the lens replaced and recalibrated - the Sigma Scandinavia service center is close to where I live) for the image quality and the size.

For use on a Panasonic camera I would keep the Panasonic 25/1.4 thanks to the functionality (setting the aperture with the ring and dedicate the front camera wheel for exposure compensation).

For the G1 I'm not interested in either of the lenses. A manual Sigma never getting sharp across the frame, nah. The big and expensive Panasonic weighting a ton is the opposite to what the µ4/3 system is about for me. If I really need AF and auto aperture and can't wait for the G20/1.7, well, then there is no other option. But that is hardly an idea suddenly popping up, is it?

fwiw, /Jonas

You right its big and heavy, in fact Im having problems using it on E420 as well. Wrist gets too tired. But lenses like leica 25/1.4, and 7-14, and 12-60mm kinda justify a purchase of E3 or E30. (and 50-200 and 150mm also great.../
But G1 still beats E3 in manual focusing category, so leica R glass could be going for sale...

Y.B.Hudson III

Can you believe the hyperpole spouted by E-p@Y sellers (offering lenses for sale 20% above list price from the manufacturer) ?... The 1" Navitar 25mm 0.95 is a tweaked version of a 2/3" lens...it's coverage is max'd out at a 15mm image circle... ... it's not a flat field lens, image quality deteriorates rapidly at the edges.* The only lens the manufacture recommends for going beyond the 1" format is t' Navitar 50mm 0.95 which has edge to edge sharpness, coverage...

* inside sources...

Last edited:
M

milapse

Can you believe the hyperpole spouted by E-p@Y sellers (offering lenses for sale 20% above list price from the manufacturer) ?... The 1" Navitar 25mm 0.95 is a tweaked version of a 2/3" lens...it's coverage is max'd out at a 15mm image circle... ... it's not a flat field lens, image quality deteriorates rapidly at the edges.* The only lens the manufacture recommends for going beyond the 1" format is t' Navitar 50mm 0.95 which has edge to edge sharpness, coverage...

* inside sources...
If I'm correct and this is the Soligor design... :confused: You may be mistaken. Here it is @ F2 on the G1

R

robertasumendi

I have a Soligor 25/0.95 that's identical to that one... Makes sense since Navitar is somehow associated with soligor.
Cool... I didn't know! How's usability with the focus ring so close to the mount? My use for this lens is photographing dancers at clubs where I'm currently pushing iso 3200 1-3 stops to get 1/60 with a 50/1.4

Y.B. your comments are good to read too, thanks.... Hey, and thanks for the tip on Leica hoods/caps a few weeks back :)

Godfrey

having too much fun with the Olympus Pen F's G.Zuiko 40/1.4. Even though I missed the focus on these two a little bit, I like what it does:

Both with the Panasonic G1 + Olympus G.Zuiko 40/1.4, wide open at ISO 100. Exposure times 1/30 and 1/100 sec, respectively.

enjoy,

apicius9

Just a minor addition to this one unless I have overlooked it - a few pics with the Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm/1.4. Right before I put on the lens I managed to get a drop of water on the sensor, so I didn't take more and you can see it a bit on some of them. Minimal vignetting in the corners at 16/9. The hand picture is cropped a bit, the other 2 are JPGs straight from the camera. Oh, and that's Queen Kapi'olani and some banyan tree roots in Kapi'olani Park, Waikiki. It does take a bit getting used to the manual focusing, especially in the bright light around the beach, but overall I like the lens. I still have to try it wide open in a darker place, though...

Stefan

apicius9

Had a few minutes for shooting today. I think I need to double-check the dioptre setting before I shoot, I had a few focus problems... I liked the three bushes next to each other, each in a different state of bloom. Taken with the Cooke Kinic 25/1.5, fully open, no cropping, only very minimal sharpening and a touch of saturation on the grey one (in AP Elements 6).

The other 2 were from taken on the Chinese cemetery (Manoa Valley, Honolulu), the angel was stopped down a little bit.

Stefan

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
having too much fun with the Olympus Pen F's G.Zuiko 40/1.4. Even though I missed the focus on these two a little bit, I like what it does:
Godfrey - did you adapt the lens yourself or does someone now have a Pen F lens adapter for sale?

Keith