The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's the IBIS Jono you Wassack

Peter Klein

As tempting as some of the bigger-sensor offerings are, I have stayed with micro-4/3 as my "everything else" camera (a Leica M8 being my main squeeze). Micro-4/3 is not the very best at everything, but it seems to have the best *combination* of everything. With the IBIS as the thing that always keeps me from straying if I have doubts about some other area every once in a while. Not to mention the size/weight thing. Jono, I think we're thinking much the same thing.

Peter, who does not know the difference between a wassock and a pillock, but is sure it's quite entertaining.

Last edited:

Paratom

I am glad that there are other people who can not make up their mind which camera system is the right one - not just me.

In the end I think you made a wise decision - specially for someone also owning a Leica M system. I think the m43 with its fast AF and Tele-options complements the M-system in a nice way.

angstmann

Well, I too am wrestling with which mirrorless camera system to invest in after selling my Nikon DSLR gear. I grabbed a second hand Panasonic G2 a year or so ago and have had great fun and some decent results with some old lenses (Pentax Takumar in particular), but since having my third child, who is just over a year old now, I am reassessing my options as manual focusing on the G2 isn't conducive to fast shooting, but I persevere.

If I go M43 then I'd probably look at staying native with the lenses, but then I'd really like to see what some of these older manual focus lenses can produce on a more modern sensor than that which appears in the G2.

I also think £1300 body only in the UK for the Olympus E-M1 is just too much, when the A7 can be had for £1150 and the Fuji X-T1 is £1050.

Peter Klein

Agreed 100% on m43 and M system complementing each other. And I forgot to say before, excellent article, Jono. It's nice to see a person's thought process in choosing what camera is the best for them, and you've conveyed that very well.

dhsimmonds

Hi Jono

I have only just read your article:

GAS & Mirrorless - revisited with humble pie. :angel:

I did enjoy reading your honest views.....it is always a very tough decision to make. :thumbs:

However, I would add a caveat as I am aware that there are folk who read and hang on every word on forums; particularly when they are trying to make up their mind on a new camera. It is particularly important for those buying a camera on a slim budget as they may be unable to swop and change systems quite as readily.

I liked your summary as it detailed the reasons for YOUR final decisions.

My caveat is that might not be right for someone else who may spend much of their photography time shooting totally different subjects, such as sport, nature, macro, travel, etc.

Finally, I do believe that one needs to spend a lot of time with a camera to really know it inside and out. It has to become an extension to mind eye and fingers! :lecture:

mbroomfield

The IBIS is one of the reason's for my keeping the EM5. However I also keep it (permanently) in the truck behind the seat as an emergency backup. This weekend was it's 1st outing for a while as I assiduously packed a small bag of lenses for my A7r but then drove out to my haunts without the camera :bugeyes:

It only gets to play with the superb 12-60 4/3 lens but that's a fine range for me.

jonoslack

Agreed 100% on m43 and M system complementing each other. And I forgot to say before, excellent article, Jono. It's nice to see a person's thought process in choosing what camera is the best for them, and you've conveyed that very well.
Thank you Peter
I'm not sure how helpful it is generally. I was really hoping to convey the anguish I fell in making a decision!

Knorp

Let's wait for 24th of April ... perhaps the T comes with some kind of IBIS :rolleyes:
Then this circus starts all over again or as my former colleague used to say: "The dream is always the same" ... :grin:

:watch:

Zlatko Batistich

+1. Excellent and interesting article by Jono.

Bruce Clarke

Always enjoyable following your reasoning Jono, particularly this GAS Mark 2.0 :)
The IBIS is staggering, and now there's the new electronic first curtain shutter to play with too.

I was disappointed with the sharpness of my old ZD 7-14mm on the E-M1, and recently got it back from Oly. I think there was something loose in the AF unit, and first impressions are it is much improved (and they only charged 34 quid!).

jonoslack

hI Dave

Hi Jono

I have only just read your article:

GAS & Mirrorless - revisited with humble pie. :angel:

I did enjoy reading your honest views.....it is always a very tough decision to make. :thumbs:

Ah - honest is a big word! Fortunately, as I forget what I said yesterday I can change my mind with impunity!

However, I would add a caveat as I am aware that there are folk who read and hang on every word on forums; particularly when they are trying to make up their mind on a new camera. It is particularly important for those buying a camera on a slim budget as they may be unable to swop and change systems quite as readily.

I liked your summary as it detailed the reasons for YOUR final decisions.

My caveat is that might not be right for someone else who may spend much of their photography time shooting totally different subjects, such as sport, nature, macro, travel, etc.
Well I understand that anything one says has an influence, but I really did try and emphasise that it related to my needs (This Article Is Not For You) etc.
Finally, I do believe that one needs to spend a lot of time with a camera to really know it inside and out. It has to become an extension to mind eye and fingers! :lecture:
In this case I really have - perhaps not so much with the A7r, but the other cameras got thoroughly used - and now I've spend a week with the A7r too.

All the best
Jono

dhsimmonds

As a matter of interest Jono, how do you find the AF speed of the A7R compared to that of the E-M1? I ask because my son-in-law recently changed from E-M1 to A7R and he reckons that this is the only downside in his opinion.

He did also say that the E-M1 is the nicer camera to use, but I rather thought that he was being kind to me as an E-M1 user! ;)

Godfrey

As a matter of interest Jono, how do you find the AF speed of the A7R compared to that of the E-M1? I ask because my son-in-law recently changed from E-M1 to A7R and he reckons that this is the only downside in his opinion.

He did also say that the E-M1 is the nicer camera to use, but I rather thought that he was being kind to me as an E-M1 user! ;)
I can't gauge A7 AF since I have only manual lenses for it, but I don't know how the AF could be much faster than what the E-M1 achieves with mFT lenses ... It's virtually instantaneous.

G

jonoslack

Hi Dave
He might be being kind to you as an MFT user, or he might be wondering what on earth he's done and trying to persuade himself that it was the right thing.

I reckon that there is only one thing the A7r does better than the E-M1 and that's general IQ (resolution, dynamic range etc), but there are lots and lots of things the E-M1 does better than the A7:
Shutter noise (and vibration)
IBIS
Weather sealing
General build quality
Auto focus
Range of native lenses
Quality of native lenses
Size of native lenses
Battery life
EVF quality

I've probably missed a few.
So I think you have to decide whether you've ever found the IQ of the E-M1 wanting, and if not you then have to decide whether it's worth losing all the above for that breathtaking hit you get when zooming in at 100% on an A7r file.

On the other hand I do sympathise with Godfrey, if you want to use your R lenses on a full frame body, then the A7(r) is the one for you ............ The same is NOT. True of M lenses.

Knorp

HI Bart
I think I do as well - I realise I've used the wrong word (I can live with it though).
I'm sure we all can live with it, Jono.
And what's more, it certainly was good fun and I learned a couple of new words in the process !
:salute:

Kind regards.