The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's the IBIS Jono you Wassack

k-hawinkler

I'm sure we all can live with it, Jono.
And what's more, it certainly was good fun and I learned a couple of new words in the process !
:salute:

Kind regards.

Thanks Bart. That sums it up. Two new words I now have to find a use for. :)

BTW last night I took images of the Blood Moon with two different cameras handheld. One was the Olympus E-M1 with 75-300/4.8-6.7 II. The other was the Nikon D800E with 80-400/4.5-5.6 II. Both shot wide open at the tele end and fairly high ISO and long exposure times. Interestingly the E-M1 was hunting quite a bit before finally locking on with AF. The D800E had no such problem and achieved AF every time I tried right away. Of course the images show some motion blur and are nothing to be proud of. However, the E-M1 does a terrific job shooting handheld the unobscured full Moon and produces sharp images.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Bart. That sums it up. Two new words I now have to find a use for. :)

BTW last night I took images of the Blood Moon with two different cameras handheld. One was the Olympus E-M1 with 75-300/4.8-6.7 II. The other was the Nikon D800E with 80-400/4.5-5.6 II. Both shot wide open at the tele end and fairly high ISO and long exposure times. Interestingly the E-M1 was hunting quite a bit before finally locking on with AF. The D800E had no such problem and achieved AF every time I tried right away. Of course the images show some motion blur and are nothing to be proud of. However, the E-M1 does a terrific job shooting handheld the unobscured full Moon and produces sharp images.
Can you please share a sample from the EM1 and the D800E?

Would really appreciate!

Peter

jonoslack

good thing I had IBIS and AF for this shot ;)
just kidding - really enjoying the EM1 from my side.
They need to invent KIDS. (kid Stabilisation) but I'm afraid we can't rely on the camera companies to supply it!

Nice shot anyway Tom.

k-hawinkler

Can you please share a sample from the EM1 and the D800E?

Would really appreciate!

Peter

Well Peter, I had intended only to assess the AF capability of the cameras under very difficult lighting conditions. A friend of mine did a proper job with the E-M1, a 400 mm Canon lens, 1.4x extender, and tripod and captured the entire sequence from the unobscured to the obscured moon. He concluded the Blood Moon was about 5000x dimmer than the moon was earlier at night when not in the Earth's shadow.

But because you asked so politely you talked into showing the pictures. Please, keep in mind I used autofocus and autoexposure and AWB and handheld. Okay, here we go. Both images show a pixel area of 1280x1280.

• D800E with 80-400/4.5-5.6 II @ ¼ s, f/5.6, ISO 6400, and 400 mm. From the star squiggles you can tell by how much I unintentionally wiggled the camera and the Nikon VR couldn't correct for that. Obviously the image was also substantially overexposed and I tried to correct that in Photoshop.

• Olympus E-M1 with 75-300/4.8-6.7 II @ ¼ s, f/6.7, ISO 3200, and 300 mm. Here the overexposure is much more severe but either IBIS did a better job than VR did in the Nikon system or I was shaking less or a combination of both. :)

• Last fall I did a handheld shot with the E-M1 and IIRC the adapted Nikkor 80-400/4.5-5.6 II @ 1/640 s, f/5.6, ISO 200, and 400 mm. I used IBIS for image stabilization so that I could manually focus well with maximum magnification while looking through the viewfinder. The following image shows a pixel area of 1387x1387.

Schöne Grüße noch von Neu Mexiko nach Österreich.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well Peter, I had intended only to assess the AF capability of the cameras under very difficult lighting conditions. A friend of mine did a proper job with the E-M1, a 400 mm Canon lens, 1.4x extender, and tripod and captured the entire sequence from the unobscured to the obscured moon. He concluded the Blood Moon was about 5000x dimmer than the moon was earlier at night when not in the Earth's shadow.

But because you asked so politely you talked into showing the pictures. Please, keep in mind I used autofocus and autoexposure and AWB and handheld. Okay, here we go. Both images show a pixel area of 1280x1280.

• D800E with 80-400/4.5-5.6 II @ ¼ s, f/5.6, ISO 6400, and 400 mm. From the star squiggles you can tell by how much I unintentionally wiggled the camera and the Nikon VR couldn't correct for that. Obviously the image was also substantially overexposed and I tried to correct that in Photoshop.

• Olympus E-M1 with 75-300/4.8-6.7 II @ ¼ s, f/6.7, ISO 3200, and 300 mm. Here the overexposure is much more severe but either IBIS did a better job than VR did in the Nikon system or I was shaking less or a combination of both. :)

• Last fall I did a handheld shot with the E-M1 and IIRC the adapted Nikkor 80-400/4.5-5.6 II @ 1/640 s, f/5.6, ISO 200, and 400 mm. I used IBIS for image stabilization so that I could manually focus well with maximum magnification while looking through the viewfinder. The following image shows a pixel area of 1387x1387.

Schöne Grüße noch von Neu Mexiko nach Österreich.
Thanks for sharing!

These results look pretty similar to what I could achieve with D800E with 2.8/70-200 VRII plus TC2 and the EM1 with 75-300 II. It clearly shows that VR as well as IBIS are not up to the job. Even if you use kind of bean bag to stabilize.

But I also tried shooting the full moon in January this year with tripod and the EM1 75-300II combo on tripod with IBIS turned off and could not achieve really sharp images as well. Even when I reed with AF or MF (using focus peeking) the final result was not what I expected. So in this case this must be the lens!

Would be interesting o see if the Fuji XT1 (or XE2) with the new super telephoto zoom Fuji will bring later this year can get better results.

Anyway thanks for sharing - und viele leibe Grüße nach New Mexico!

A friend of mine did a proper job with the E-M1, a 400 mm Canon lens, 1.4x extender, and tripod and captured the entire sequence from the unobscured to the obscured moon. He concluded the Blood Moon was about 5000x dimmer than the moon was earlier at night when not in the Earth's shadow.
These pictures are enclosed below, reproduced at 50%. The first one (full Moon, 1/1250 at ISO 400 and f/8) was taken before the eclipse, and the last one (1/2 at ISO 1600 and f/8) was taken just before the middle of the eclipse.

Other technical details: Canon 400/5.6 plus 1.4x extender created a 560mm f/8 lens, focused manually and used wide open. I've used the E-M1 because it has slightly finer pixels than my Canon 5Dmk2. IBIS was in its default mode and set to 600mm focal length (a reasonable approximation) but the setup was on a tripod, with 12 second shutter delay to damp vibrations; it's possible that IBIS didn't even activate. Exposure was manual, based on spot meter mode reading.

-Josip Loncaric

mmbma

Re: It's the IBIS Jono you Wasack

I always felt that leaving m43 is the wrong decision. Tried hard for myself to take that decision and left 43 and m43 several times in the past. Now I will no longer do that but just keep the EM1 and most of my wonderful m43 glass.

Only lens which might go is the 75-300 II as it delivers no consistent results on the longer end. Waiting for Oly to bring a 50-200 m43 equivalent, or buy the 43 version with adapter.

Welcome back in the club ;)
I've been in the same search for a nice tele zoom. and I can tell you that the Pano 100-300 is a great choice. There are reviews saying that it's not sharp or hard to focus at the 300mm. I don't find it to be the case. My copy is tack sharp and locks on focus very fast at the long end. great contrast, and easy to use with Em1's stabilization.

I also considered the 50-200 4/3's lens. I decided against it because 1) it's too big, much larger than the Pano. and 2) auto focus is slower than the native Pano, which is important for me because birds fly away quickly.

The tripod collar is nice though on the 50-200. IQ seems to be on par with each other. I shoot mostly in daylight so the aperture difference is not a big deal for me

Godfrey

Re: It's the IBIS Jono you Wasack

I re-acquired the ZD 50-200 + EC-14 setup after I bought the E-M1. Yes, it's a large and heavy lens. I fit the battery grip on the camera to help balance it, making the package even larger. It is amazing, both how sharp this lens can be and how easily it can be hand held with the E-M1's IBIS.

I don't walk around with it too often, and I use it with a tripod a good bit of the time I use it, but I'm quite happy to have it. :)

G