The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's the IBIS Jono you Wassack

jonoslack

Hi there

I went out today with the E-M1 and the Leica R 80-200; it was supposed to be a sort of farewell; I didn't bother with focus peaking or zooming in, or any of that stuff. Just focused using the EVF and snapped away. I was really pleased with the results, almost all in focus even though most were shot at F4, and I really like shooting at 400mm. The IBIS is just so good! I even got some decent shots of a deer rushing through some corn with manual focus.

Doesn't seem like farewell at all!

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Re: It's the IBIS Jono you Wasack

Hi there

I went out today with the E-M1 and the Leica R 80-200; it was supposed to be a sort of farewell; I didn't bother with focus peaking or zooming in, or any of that stuff. Just focused using the EVF and snapped away. I was really pleased with the results, almost all in focus even though most were shot at F4, and I really like shooting at 400mm. The IBIS is just so good! I even got some decent shots of a deer rushing through some corn with manual focus.

Very nice. I agree, for me IBIS is wonderful and really not negotiable. It provides a stable image to judge framing and focusing before one completely presses down the shutter button and takes an image. I find it essential for AF of tele lenses and manual focus of all lenses and handheld shooting.

Knorp

Of course not ! Imagine wielding a FF 400 mm lens (or longer) on your M or A7 while walking down beer lane :shocked:
Really, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read you seriously considered ditching m43.

Anyways, welcome back to the club :D

Kind regards.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member

Jono, I learned that lesson some time ago and have kept all my Leica lenses. While not ideal on A7 and E-M1, the R lenses are wonderful and very consistent performers. I am not getting rid of mine.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Ocean,

Think it was supposed to be a farewell to the EM-1...so he could buy another bit of bling for the A7....:ROTFL:

Maybe not now that Queen ISIS (IBIS) has spoken....

Or sell the EM-1 and buy a Gitzo GT 5542LOS Tripod.

Bob

limbonaut

Hi there

I've been waiting for this thread to appear!

I've read with interest your "thinking out loud" on the sony and fuji forums. Great dialogue between your id and ego. I've tried both systems since friends have them and while they both are capable of producing fantastic results, neither one has the combination of handling, lenses and most of all stabilization that the e-m1 has.

Once they invent the 4/3 sensor that competes with the larger sensors in DR and high iso I suppose the relentless search for the perfect camera is over for all of us. The truth is you are a better photographer than me so any system you use sings quite as different melody than the one I am using, but the e-m1 has the right balance . . .right now . . . for me :salute:

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Tricky question, init? I have the same problem with m4/3 vs. Nikon 35mm, but with me, the question is if I should sell the Nikons to finance the PanaLeica 42.5mm or simply live on porridge for a month or two. I don't use the D700 much except the F6, but when I do, it becomes obvious that it offers options that m4/3 doesn't. I suppose there's a time of day for everything, and I'm not even talking "horses for courses". I keep coming back to the restaurant analogy: No food wreck would go to the same restaurant eating the same food every day, even if the taste is great, the price reasonable and the nutrition value perfectly balanced.

Keeping stuff that makes you happy makes sense to me :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

... on the other hand... who needs 35mm anyway :ROTFL:

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

Godfrey

I saw one of the online bloggers singing the praises of his Nikon D800 as being "the one that always brings home the bacon." That's the way I feel about the E-M1 ... If I'm counting on getting a shot no matter what, it's the camera I grab.

It's the only camera I will use a 400mm EFOV lens hand held with. Easily and consistently.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I always felt that leaving m43 is the wrong decision. Tried hard for myself to take that decision and left 43 and m43 several times in the past. Now I will no longer do that but just keep the EM1 and most of my wonderful m43 glass.

Only lens which might go is the 75-300 II as it delivers no consistent results on the longer end. Waiting for Oly to bring a 50-200 m43 equivalent, or buy the 43 version with adapter.

Welcome back in the club ;)

dhsimmonds

Hi Jono

I also wondered when you would stop flirting with your various "mistresses" and return to the E-M1! :D

You see some of us have very long memories! I remember how you just hated colour rendering of the Fuji X trans sensor; I seem to recall that cyan blue skies were your particular 'bete noir'.

The speed of AF on the A7R is enough to put me off and that's before I even get to the bulk and weight of decent lenses and adaptors for it! Didn't you also dally with the NEX series?

The change to v1.3 firmware has made an excellent system even better IMHO.

Welcome back Jono and oh, by the way the LF year is just starting!!!!;)

Knorp

Hi everyone. Well it's definitely hat eating time
Here are some snaps from yesterday with the 80-200 elmarit
Lovely series, Jono.
Regarding hats, isn't that a staple food ... :p

All the very best.

JMaher

I have left 4/3 world 3 times but always seem to come back. The EM-1 seems to be a keeper (at least for now).

Welcome back!

Jim

JMaher

No fancy telephoto but a snap from my 12-40 while vacationing.

Jim

Godfrey

There is something about how these Leica R lenses render that just does it right, Jono. They work extremely well on both the A7 and the E-M1.

G

gandolfi

Subscriber Member

certainly is, I have developed a very nice line of smoked salmon hats :)
...and for dessert, Sir, chef would like to recommend a nice big 4/3rds portion of humble pie...

(P.s. and it's wassock, you pillock):)