The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EF lenses on G1?

monza

Stacking an EF to C-mount adapter, and then C-Mount to Micro 4/3 adapter seems a little iffy if the lenses are big/heavy.

Butterdada doesn't appear to actually need an aperture ring on any lens, as all the posted shots are at full aperture. :)

Jonas

Stacking an EF to C-mount adapter, and then C-Mount to Micro 4/3 adapter seems a little iffy if the lenses are big/heavy.

Butterdada doesn't appear to actually need an aperture ring on any lens, as all the posted shots are at full aperture. :)
But it seem to work well, doesn't it? It's a shame the EF50/1.0 won't work though...

monza

Yes, it does! I enjoy butterdada's photos. I'd just be careful, depending on how big the lens is.

Diane B

Well, owning the 24-70L, I wouldn't mount it LOL. Then again--my usual hands under the lens would probably be okay, but....

And there's that--wide open ;) Works for him, though, doesn't it?

I don't have much desire to use any of my EF lenses on the G1 though--even the smallest is not that small/light (relatively). I take that back--would love to use the 45 TSe--but then I really would want to stop down at times ;)

Diane

mawz

Well, owning the 24-70L, I wouldn't mount it LOL. Then again--my usual hands under the lens would probably be okay, but....

And there's that--wide open ;) Works for him, though, doesn't it?

I don't have much desire to use any of my EF lenses on the G1 though--even the smallest is not that small/light (relatively). I take that back--would love to use the 45 TSe--but then I really would want to stop down at times ;)

Diane
You can force some EF lenses to stop down by setting the desired aperture on a Canon body, pressing the DoF Preview then dismounting the lens while DoF preview is still engaged. The trick is also useful for getting smaller apertures when reversing 50's for cheap macro work.

R

Ranger 9

I think it would be reasonably safe if you always support the lens and just let the camera hang off the back of it. The camera body is light, so it shouldn't stress the mount very much.

P

pix2pixels

We should follow developments for this mount or get in touch with Alex for developing a mount for the micro 4/3 system.

The RED ONE camera market is limited to ~5-6000 cameras sold so far and with the imminent release of the Scarlet, the 4/3 would become very attractive, just by the number of cameras flooding the market only.

He already has a prototype to control aperture & focus for EF lenses.

Diane B

We should follow developments for this mount or get in touch with Alex for developing a mount for the micro 4/3 system.

The RED ONE camera market is limited to ~5-6000 cameras sold so far and with the imminent release of the Scarlet, the 4/3 would become very attractive, just by the number of cameras flooding the market only.

He already has a prototype to control aperture & focus for EF lenses.
That mount is very interesting. There are a couple of my EF lenses that I'd love to be able to use with the G1--larger than I'd like, but would be great fun. My 45 TSe (becoming FOV of 90mm--not as good for my uses as on 5D, but still would be fun), my 15FE--and maybe even my 28 f/1.8--perhaps even my quite good (on 5D at least) 12-24. I haven't checked weight, but don't think any of these would be too heavy--though bulky.

Diane

P

pix2pixels

Warning!
This mount is intended for digital movie cameras. The focus is to be achieved with a separate controller by a focus puller/camera assistant. It would be quite cumbersome to be used by only one person.

Diane B

Warning!
This mount is intended for digital movie cameras. The focus is to be achieved with a separate controller by a focus puller/camera assistant. It would be quite cumbersome to be used by only one person.
Yes, I got that more or less after looking around the site, but--I got the impression from reading that if someone really wants to make an adaptor, its possible (even this developer but even with a lot of G1s out there--and the GH1 to come--I suspect he will be less than enthused to make one). I still don't think there will enough demand for an EF to m4/3rds adaptor.

Diane

Howard

Someone indicated the use of FD lens. I have an old 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 3.5 macro. Are there adapters allowing the use of FD lens with the G1? If so, what is the source of such adapters?

Diane B

Howard, yes indeedy there are FD adaptors. There are actually a number of sources. I bought a Cameraquest (from Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest) which is the same as the Rayqual. There are at least 2 other sources I know about--the jinfinance and the Polish one. Look here http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dx428wg_10fdvsmtd7

I've been shooting with my old FD 50 f/1.8 and bought some very inexpensive (but in great shape) FDs from KEH--a 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.8 and 135 f/2.8. Wish now I had bought the 24 f/2 but am well pleased with output from the 4 I bought. I also bought a really cheap ( all for under $20) extension tube set plus an extra to add particularly to the 50 for macros. Works well.

Here are some FD shots I separated out for those interested. I haven't had it too long, but really enjoy shooting MF with the G1. http://www.pbase.com/picnic/fd_gallery

Diane

Last edited:
P

pix2pixels

Diane,

It depends on the quality of the movie mode this camera will show.
'Build it and they will come'. There are a LOT of filmmakers that are looking for an affordable digital camera with manual focus. Nikon D90's image quality is far from adequate, Canon 5Dm2 has almost no manual control on anything.

The Panasonic G1H is the first one so far to offer manual exposure control and a sensor size that allows manipulating the depth of field, with manual focus lenses. There are about 5 major manufacturers of 35mm DOF adapters and thousands of users who are interested in an affordable path to the elusive 'film' look.

P

pix2pixels

Just bought yesterday from a local photo market a 135 f2 in great condition. I paid 20% of the price of the price of an ebay auction I missed a day before. I said 20% of not off.
The premium FD lenses are still fetching good prices and are harder and harder to find, due to the 35mm DOF adapters and the possibility of using them on the soon to be released Scarlet camera.

Howard

Thanks all for the your source info. Diane - your shots with the FD lens indicates impressive results are achievable with FD lenses and the G1.

Howard

Diane B

Diane,

It depends on the quality of the movie mode this camera will show.
'Build it and they will come'. There are a LOT of filmmakers that are looking for an affordable digital camera with manual focus. Nikon D90's image quality is far from adequate, Canon 5Dm2 has almost no manual control on anything.

The Panasonic G1H is the first one so far to offer manual exposure control and a sensor size that allows manipulating the depth of field, with manual focus lenses. There are about 5 major manufacturers of 35mm DOF adapters and thousands of users who are interested in an affordable path to the elusive 'film' look.
Hmm--I hadn't thought of that. It seemed he was so focused on the Red One but I don't know his connections or background. I've been following the groups on Vimeo--esp. with the 5DII--and of course I've read the posts by video people that are really enthusiastic about the G1H. So--perhaps, as you said--'if you build it, they will come'--and there are a heck of a lot of EF mount shooters out there that have had their appetites whetted by the 5DII--but, as I understand it, the G1H should surpass it--but lack lenses for the time being, except for the alternative ones.

Diane

B

butterdada

Butterdada, I'd like to see more from this combo (EF lenses on G1). Is there a chance you could post a photo of the stacked adaptors with an EF lens on the G1? Mostly its curiosity on my part since I own a lot of EF lenses and haven't really wanted to use them on the G1--mostly size, but also the fact that they can only be used wide open, but---if the adaptors are inexpensive enough, there are some that could be interesting.

Diane
Sorry My DMC-G1 has been left in Hawk there for a long time to develop various kinds of adaptors.
So I can't show you the photo of combination.:salute: