The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bodes Galaxies

O

olyinaz

M81 and M82, known as Bode's Galaxies, approx. 12 million light years distant. Smaller galaxy NGC 3077 at the lower left. M81 is the more face on spiral and M82, also known as the Cigar Galaxy, is seen edge on. All three galaxies are part of the M81 Group and are thought to be gravitationally linked.

A stack (in PhotoAcute for noise reduction) of three 60 sec. 400iso images with the G1 on my tele. Processed with layers and curves to bring out the galaxies and subdue the noise a bit more.

Cheers,
Oly

monza

These are excellent. In my youth I was a star gazer, and spent many evenings at star parties searching for the Messier objects. I have a Celestron 8 (the big orange one) from the late 70s. I wonder if the clock drive still works...I'll have to dig it out and see. :)

O

olyinaz

Frankly, those early C8s are outstanding if you've got a good one that shows nice sharp stars and a good diffraction pattern. They make a Hyperstar for the C8 but given how big the G1 is it works best on a C11 or larger since it's up front and in the light path.

Oh and also, if the glass and mirror are flawless on your C8 do bear in mind that a new mount can be had pretty inexpensively. Here's a picture of my M8 on a mount that I got for free by using airline miles:

I have to swing it around manually but once I get it locked on target the clock drive works perfectly well. In fact I used this mount with my refractor to take that moon shot I posted a few days back. I'm not sure what they cost, but it's not very much.

Food for thought!

Cheers,
Oly

P.S. If you've not looked through a new eyepiece lately you might find that the biggest improvement you could make with your lovely old C8 would be to simply pick up a nice new eyepiece for it. They've really gotten much better in the last 10 years or so.

monza

That's good info! I'm going to set up the C8 tomorrow during the day and do a system check...what brand is that drive?

O

olyinaz

That mount is a Celestron. You don't see it in that picture but I added the clock drives (it's a kit you buy and bolt on that mount). In the U.S. the big names currently are (still) Celestron & Meade, but Orion is a big player as well. Where are you located? If you're in the U.S. I can recommend several good shops as well.

Cheers,
Oly

monza

I'm in Texas...would like to investigate the options for this C8. That tripod looks identical to mine except for the trim color (mine is black but it's probably due for a fresh powder coat.) Thanks again!

monza

Frankly, those early C8s are outstanding if you've got a good one that shows nice sharp stars and a good diffraction pattern. They make a Hyperstar for the C8 but given how big the G1 is it works best on a C11 or larger since it's up front and in the light path.
OK I'm googling and learning all sorts of new things. :) I didn't know what a Hyperstar was. ;)

Oh and also, if the glass and mirror are flawless on your C8 do bear in mind that a new mount can be had pretty inexpensively. Here's a picture of my M8 on a mount that I got for free by using airline miles:
I'm going to look into this. The original fork mount and clock drive of the C8 weren't the best, there is a bit of play, etc. Having a precise clock drive makes all the difference especially with an f/10 optic and long exposures.

I got out the C8 this morning and looked it over closely, it still looks new (I've had it about 30 years now.) The mirror was very clean, I had to clean the front glass inside and out, however. Then I did a preliminary daytime collimation, which I think will be pretty accurate, although it might need some fine tuning (once there are actual stars out, which won't be tonight.)

If you've not looked through a new eyepiece lately you might find that the biggest improvement you could make with your lovely old C8 would be to simply pick up a nice new eyepiece for it. They've really gotten much better in the last 10 years or so.
I am sure you are right. There is nothing much to improve upon when it comes to mirrors, but the eyepieces are another story. I have the following:

Celestron K. 40mm (Kellner I presume)
Celestron K. 25mm
Meade 20mm wide angle
Meade Or 16.8mm
Or. 12.5mm (no brand)
Or. 9mm
Or. 6mm

Oh, and I found my Meade camera adapter and OM T-mount. :) I used to use an OM2 with the off-the-film exposure which was great for astrophotography...but I think the G1 might be a tad improved. ;)

O

olyinaz

Oh, and I found my Meade camera adapter and OM T-mount. :) I used to use an OM2 with the off-the-film exposure which was great for astrophotography...but I think the G1 might be a tad improved. ;)

Well the great thing is you're basically all set up then since all you'd need is an OM to 4/3rds adapter if you've already got the Panny 4/3rds to µ4/3rds adapter.

If you're in a position to spend a bit more on a mount allow me to suggest several.

The Celestron CG-5. It's not sexy but at this price a full go-to computerized mount is an astounding value:

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope-accessories/mounts-and-tripods/celestroncg5computerizedmount.cfm

This is the stomp-yer-foot dang good mount:

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope...nd-tripods/celestroncgemcomputerizedmount.cfm

This mount is a bit nicer than the CG-5 but it lacks the go-to capability of the other two:

http://www.telescope.com/control/pr...pods/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=24335

Regarding eyepieces, look into the Meade Series 5000 and Orion Axiom series for very good eyepieces at a good value.

Just food for thought!

Cheers,
Oly