The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 lens experiences?

Paratom

I dont use UV filters, but usually allways use the Hoods as protection.
I might use one if I was Shooting in really dirty or heavy weather conditions at the sea.

MRfanny

First outing today, no filter =) The sharpness and contrast from this lens is amazing. I can't put my finger on it but it definitely has its own character over the Olympus 45 1.8.

Paratom

I also think ist a great lens. The only Thing...the size somewhats make m43 sizeadvantages to dissappear - thats why I dont bring it that often with me.

Knorp

First outing today, no filter =) The sharpness and contrast from this lens is amazing. I can't put my finger on it but it definitely has its own character over the Olympus 45 1.8.
It's the 'Leica Glow' ... 🎃

Knorp

FWIW - I'm pretty amazed how clear and sharp the images are this lens produces even wide open at f1.2.
There's real 'Leica magic' in the way the Nocticron renders.
But YMMV ... :angel: :p :D

Question is where do we post our Nocticron images: this specific thread or the more general 43 ?

Kind regards.

MRfanny

lately I have been noticing purple and green fringing wide open in high contrast areas in lightroom 5.6 and now 5.7. Does anyone else see this? by the way this lens hasn't left the body since day one of putting it on =) Will have to come off eventually.

Knorp

lately I have been noticing purple and green fringing wide open in high contrast areas in lightroom 5.6 and now 5.7. Does anyone else see this? by the way this lens hasn't left the body since day one of putting it on =) Will have to come off eventually.
MrFanny, not sure if this is exceptional for this particular lens.
In my experience all fast lenses suffer from some degree of fringing/ca wide-open in contrasty circumstances.
Perhaps LR doesn't handle it very well ? Do you have another tool available you can try ?

Kind regards.

rparmar

Normally I wouldn't post in a thread like this, since I do not own this lens. Neither do i want to discourage those with lots of disposable income from buying lots of special lenses and supporting the industry. But some of the run-away enthusiasm is a bit much to take. I find it distasteful that a lens priced for only the rich would be called a "must have" lens, no matter how good it is.

Ethics aside, what are the facts? I like to determine these from actual lab tests, and not from wishful thinking. They can be confirmed by looking at pictures. Indeed, the Panasonic Nocticron 42.5mm is a sharp lens, but is not a runaway leader, despite what some here would have you believe. In fact, it is matched and bettered by the Olympus 45mm and Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm, depending on your criteria. Isn't it nice to have so much choice?

If you want the fastest lens, then you must buy the Nokton, even though the resolution figures wide open are quite bad. To be expected! Thankfully, most of the time we do not shoot at such apertures, unless we are looking for special effects. Perhaps we can compare all three lenses at f/2? That is a nice useful aperture, which enables us to get a model's nose and eyes in focus at the same time. That's generally a good thing, in my books.

Wonder of wonders, all three lenses have the same centre resolution, 70 lpmm. In fact the Nocticron is slightly less, not that I take small differences as significant. (They aren't.) At the edges, the Nocticron manages to be as good as the Olympus lens, but fares worse as you stop down. The best edge performance at f/2 comes from the Nokton.

As for rendering, surely that is in the eye of the beholder. Very few lenses are "magical", and the older optical formulas in the Panasonic Leica lenses are showing their age (opinion).

Regardless, I would question the logic in putting a gigantic lens on a small camera body when one would be better served by using a system with a larger sensor. The advantages of MFT are weight and size, best served by the Olympus 45mm. Anyone obsessing over depth of field or ultimate image quality is likely in the wrong place.

The Olympus 45mm is the must-have lens in this field of view. It is a magical optic, considering the price. Other lenses might be nice to have for those wedded to the MFT format. Me, I'd prefer to shoot Pentax and Zeiss glass on a Sony A7S. (Though this is currently wishful thinking on my part.)

Note: measurements from Lenstip.

turtle

I've seen a fair number of detailed resolution tests showing the Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 to be quite spectacular and right up there with the Olympus 75 1.8 in terms of optical brilliance. As usual, tests are going to vary, but most of the evidence I have seen suggests you get an additional stop over the Olympus 45 1.8 and comparable to better performance. The CV lens is manual focus and so not comparable for many users. It also seems to test out as somewhat weaker in certain areas.

As always, its up for individuals to decide what they like and what they can afford. Personally, were I investing heavily into this system, I would want a medium portrait lens with a gentle character. IMO the Panny 42.5 produces the nicest images of all lenses available.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a dilemma for those of us with more than one camera system. A GH4 plus the 42.5mm is considerably more expensive than a D750 and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and only 200g lighter. While the Panasonic combo is far superior for video, that is not the case for photography. For the monies that will buy me the Panasonic super-duo, I can actually buy a D810 with the Nikkor. The D810 is twice as heavy as and much larger than the GH4, but it's also another class of camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Having owned both 1.4/85 lenses (G and before G) from Nikon I only can assure you that these were MUCH worse WRT cyan and purple fringing shot wide open! I even had my 1.4/85G in for inspection because of this, but was told by Nikon Europe this is absolutely normal.

So I would not wonder that the 42.5 1.2 has some fringing as well. At least if it is not as bad as the Nikon lenses this is already a big plus. I currently shoot the 1.8/75 and this is a hell of a lens, but actually would also like to own the 1.2/42.5 one day! Just because of the Leica look!

BTW I was also shooting the Canon 1.2/85L latest (actual) version some years ago and this is IMHO by far the best fast 85 portrait lens one can buy today.

Peter

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's a dilemma for those of us with more than one camera system. A GH4 plus the 42.5mm is considerably more expensive than a D750 and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 and only 200g lighter. While the Panasonic combo is far superior for video, that is not the case for photography. For the monies that will buy me the Panasonic super-duo, I can actually buy a D810 with the Nikkor. The D810 is twice as heavy as and much larger than the GH4, but it's also another class of camera.
But I would not compare apples with oranges. Mirrorless like the GH4 has so many advantages over DSLR - I just had a big shoot last weekend with my EM1 and the 1.8/75 plus the 2.8/12-40 - it was a concert in a church with only bad light, but the outcome was exceptional! And much easier to shoot that compared to my D700 and D800E some years ago. Simply because exposure was just spot on because of WYSIWYG of mirrorless.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But I would not compare apples with oranges. Mirrors like the GH4 has so many advantages over DSLR - I just had a big shoot last weekend with my EM1 and the 1.8/75 plus the 2.8/12-40 - it was a concert in a church with only bad light, but the outcome was exceptional! And much easier to shoot that compared to my D700 and D800E some years ago. Simply because exposure was just spot on because of WYSIWYG of mirrorless.
I know, Peter, I know. My problem is that I do sports photography, sometimes at night. For that, mirrorless is useless. In a few months, I also have an industrial assignment requiring a high megapixel camera. I can keep the Nikons I have for sports, buy a used A7r for big files and keep m4/3 for the rest, but it's expensive to keep more than one system, and it may not make much sense if all my photography can be done with a D810 and lenses that are mostly cheaper than those for m4/3 :(

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I know, Peter, I know. My problem is that I do sports photography, sometimes at night. For that, mirrorless is useless. In a few months, I also have an industrial assignment requiring a high megapixel camera. I can keep the Nikons I have for sports, buy a used A7r for big files and keep m4/3 for the rest, but it's expensive to keep more than one system, and it may not make much sense if all my photography can be done with a D810 and lenses that are mostly cheaper than those for m4/3 :(
At least the D810 is the best DSLR currently available - IMHO!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That we can agree on :)

I'll pay the camera store a visit tomorrow and see where I'm heading.
Will you go with the 1.8 Nikkor lenses (20, 28, 85)? And the 4/70-200 VR? IMHO the best Nikkor glass available today .....

They also should have some nice cashback for lenses - at least Nikon Europe does.

Knorp

:OT: this thread is about Nocticron experiences, right ?
:OT: it's not about Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Voigtlander, Zeiss or Olympus lenses, right ?
:OT: good, I thought so too

All the very best, whatever tickles your fancy :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
:OT: this thread is about Nocticron experiences, right ?
:OT: it's not about Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Voigtlander, Zeiss or Olympus lenses, right ?
:OT: good, I thought so too

All the very best, whatever tickles your fancy :D
Well I must agree, BUT ....

on the other side this discussions shows also some comparative findings between "equivalent" lenses and why to choose one (system or brand) over the other. And this was the only intention ....

Hope that helps a bit and increases liberality :)

MRfanny

Having owned both 1.4/85 lenses (G and before G) from Nikon I only can assure you that these were MUCH worse WRT cyan and purple fringing shot wide open! I even had my 1.4/85G in for inspection because of this, but was told by Nikon Europe this is absolutely normal.

So I would not wonder that the 42.5 1.2 has some fringing as well. At least if it is not as bad as the Nikon lenses this is already a big plus. I currently shoot the 1.8/75 and this is a hell of a lens, but actually would also like to own the 1.2/42.5 one day! Just because of the Leica look!

BTW I was also shooting the Canon 1.2/85L latest (actual) version some years ago and this is IMHO by far the best fast 85 portrait lens one can buy today.

Peter
Thats good to hear. A simple adjustment in lightroom helped a bit =)

For me I shoot a lot of street fashion and I wasn't getting that subject separation and contrast like that of the other full frame shooters with my Oly 45mm. I am now getting something close to that with the Nocticron. I also wanted autofocus for the streets, and OIS for video as video is my main bread and butter. I can clearly see the difference between my Oly 45 and Nocticron images. Weight and size, its no different to putting on a 14-140 or 12-35mm. I also shoot with a battery grip as it aids in more stable hand held video so being compact for me is already out the window =) Of course I would love it to be cheaper but I sleep well at night with my purchase.

Only gripe is the dodgy lens hood that came with it. Has anyone had any luck getting the replacement updated hood that doesnt leak?