The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 lens experiences?

Knorp

Thats good to hear. A simple adjustment in lightroom helped a bit =)

For me I shoot a lot of street fashion and I wasn't getting that subject separation and contrast like that of the other full frame shooters with my Oly 45mm. I am now getting something close to that with the Nocticron. I also wanted autofocus for the streets, and OIS for video as video is my main bread and butter. I can clearly see the difference between my Oly 45 and Nocticron images. Weight and size, its no different to putting on a 14-140 or 12-35mm. I also shoot with a battery grip as it aids in more stable hand held video so being compact for me is already out the window =) Of course I would love it to be cheaper but I sleep well at night with my purchase.

Only gripe is the dodgy lens hood that came with it. Has anyone had any luck getting the replacement updated hood that doesnt leak?
Hi there MrFanny,

I'm not aware that my hood is leaking: no problems so far whatsoever.
But I take it you mean leaking light ?
Or is it that glue residue left on the lens barrel ?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

leuallen

The reason I got this lens when I already had the 45 1.8. I sometimes need the speed. This was 3200 iso, 1.2 and 125. I initially started shooting this sequence with the 75 1.8 and could not get sharp results due to the shutter speed. Even then I had shoots that could have been better with a higher shutter speed. 100/125 was about the lower limit for sharp enough results.

This was with the GX7. I gave up the EM-1's IBIS for the GX7 superior focus capabilities in this situation. I have tried it with both cameras in similar situations and usually the GX7 wins on focus.

Laarry

MRfanny

Hi there MrFanny,

I'm not aware that my hood is leaking: no problems so far whatsoever.
But I take it you mean leaking light ?
Or is it that glue residue left on the lens barrel ?

Thank you.

Kind regards.
No light leaks just glue residue. I walked back into my store after a month and they happily replaced it with one from a recently made delivery so fingers crossed the issue has been fixed.

On another note, does everyone else's lens rattles when shaken, sounds like the floating OIS mechanism.

Knorp

No light leaks just glue residue. I walked back into my store after a month and they happily replaced it with one from a recently made delivery so fingers crossed the issue has been fixed.

On another note, does everyone else's lens rattles when shaken, sounds like the floating OIS mechanism.
There are a few more that have that rattle: the 45 Macro-Elmarit jumps to mind.
Not sure it's Leica related or a more general issue with Panasonic lenses.
I'll be keeping a close look on my lens hood, but so far so good.

Kind regards.

gfspencer

Normally I wouldn't post in a thread like this, since I do not own this lens. Neither do i want to discourage those with lots of disposable income from buying lots of special lenses and supporting the industry. But some of the run-away enthusiasm is a bit much to take. I find it distasteful that a lens priced for only the rich would be called a "must have" lens, no matter how good it is.
I'm not rich. Far from it. But I bought one and I love it.

agoglanian

I too am not wealthy (disposable income is a foreign term to me), but I work with my equipment and pay it off.

That being said, the Nocticron is an incredible performer on m43 cameras, I am thoroughly impressed with its performance on my GH4 both with stills and video. Obviously it's not cheap, but in my honest opinion it is a worthwhile purchase if you value high performance portrait lenses.

kweide

I took one into my bag, no, plugged it into my E-M1. WOW, that is a performer. It is a perfect addition to my 75mm f1.8 Zuiko.. For Bokeh Lovers its a must have lens.

Knorp

Frankly, I'm rather pleased with myself for choosing the Nocticron over the Nokton.
Although, admittedly, it was pretty close.
Let's not forget AF is a very nifty feature to have on board (certainly at my age :rolleyes:) and more than worth the extra dough.

But as always: YMHAO ... :grin:

Kind regards.

zensu

Just got a like new used 42.5mm and my first impression was this is a heavy lens. My second impression was after looking at images and the word is awesome! Love this lens!:grin:
Bobby

Knorp

Just got a like new used 42.5mm and my first impression was this is a heavy lens. My second impression was after looking at images and the word is awesome! Love this lens!:grin:
Bobby
Congrats, Bobby !
You're lucky to pick up a second hand.
Like you I too think this is an awesome lens.

But hey - now you've got to post some ... :)

Kind regards.

mazor

working on it, taken heaps of portraits, subjects none of which desire to be shared to the public ;)

oh here is a street shot with the Nocti

Knorp

working on it, taken heaps of portraits, subjects none of which desire to be shared to the public ;)

oh here is a street shot with the Nocti
Mmm, I've seen that barefoot lady before ... ;)
Well, hope you manage to show us some suitable shots soon.
Frankly I took quite some shots with the Nocti, but most of them don't do justice to its 'bokehbilities'.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Nothing exciting, just showing off my lovely new old vase ...

Last edited:

Knorp

can't see the images Knorp?
Mmm, sorry about that - had them in JR2 format instead of regular JPG.
Looks like IE doesn't support that format, Safari does ...
Anyway, should be fixed now.

Kind regards.

mazor

out of camera JPG

Relatives black cat. Nocticron on the E-M1 with C-AF. I think the AF speed on the Nocticron is actually quicker to lock than even my Oly 75mm f1.8!

This has got to be one of the sharpest f1.2 lenses ever made