The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 lens experiences?

Knorp

Can't and won't argue about being it the sharpest or one of the sharpest ... :D
But I think it does a pretty good job wide open and closed down to 5.6 or so it's a remarkable capable landscape lens as K-H has shown us before.

Note: I had the Oly 75/1.8 very briefly, but didn't like its footprint then and traded it in.
Still lusting for that lens though ... :eek:

Kind regards.

mazor

nice shot out of curiosity k-hawinkler, I noticed you use a VF-4 on an E-M5. Is there a reason why you would prefer to use CF-4 over the built in EVF?

k-hawinkler

nice shot out of curiosity k-hawinkler, I noticed you use a VF-4 on an E-M5. Is there a reason why you would prefer to use VF-4 over the built in EVF?
Oh yes, it's so much better. I list some pertinent specs below.

VF-4 Spec:

Resolution ........... 2,360,000 pixels
Field of View ........ 100%
Magnification ....... 1.48x (-1m-1, 50mm lens, Infinity)
Diopter Correction -4.0 to +2.0m-1
Eye-Point Length .. Approx. 21 mm (-1m-1, Distance from rear lens surface)
Dimensions ......... (WxHxD)1.12 x 1.99 x 1.88" (2.84 x 5.05 x 4.78 cm)
Weight ................ Approx. 1.47 oz (41.8 g) without case

VF-2 Spec:

Resolution ........... 1.44 million pixels
Field of View ........ 100 %
Magnification ....... 1.15x (0.92x with settings bar switched on)
Diopter Correction -4 to +2

With best regards, Karl-Heinz

k-hawinkler

E-M1 / E-M5 Mark II Viewfinder Spec:

Resolution ........... 2,360,000 pixels
Field of View ........ 100%
Magnification ....... 1.48x

So, the VF-4 gave me the same viewfinder as is in the E-M1and E-M5 Mark II - but a lot earlier for my E-M5.

mazor

Also it gave you an articulating EVF! I really miss that on my E-M1. Wonder if the VF4 is compatible with the E-M1 and E-M5ii?

k-hawinkler

Today we had quite an extended heavy downpour, rain mixed with hail, that cleaned the air.
This is a high res shot from late afternoon with Nocticron on E-M5 Mark II.

I love the colors the Nocticron on E-M5 Mark II produces!

k-hawinkler

Also it gave you an articulating EVF! I really miss that on my E-M1. Wonder if the VF4 is compatible with the E-M1 and E-M5ii?
Yes, the VF-4 can be mounted on the E-M1 and it seems to work just fine.
No, there is no way to mount the VF-4 on the E-M5 Mark II.

On the E-M1 and E-M5 one has to remove a small plastic cover plate right below the hot mount for the flash. That is the place where another connection is made between the camera and the VF-4.

On the E-M5 Mark II there is no cover plate but the viewfinder glass itself.

Annna T

I guess it should be compatible with the E-M1, but I'm sure it is not compatible with the E-M5 mk2 which is lacking the accessory plug.

zensu

Just got a like new used 42.5mm and my first impression was this is a heavy lens. My second impression was after looking at images and the word is awesome! Love this lens!:grin:
Bobby
I still adore this lens but I hate the hood! It's leaking glue onto my lens barrel. :thumbdown: I called Panasonic USA and they want to charge me for the repair which doesn't surprise me because it's not in warranty. The surprising thing is they insist that I send in both the hood and lens? I haven't decided what to do as they won't even give me general guess as to how much they will charge for the hood repair. Why the heck do you think they want my lens too?

mazor

I still adore this lens but I hate the hood! It's leaking glue onto my lens barrel. :thumbdown: I called Panasonic USA and they want to charge me for the repair which doesn't surprise me because it's not in warranty. The surprising thing is they insist that I send in both the hood and lens? I haven't decided what to do as they won't even give me general guess as to how much they will charge for the hood repair. Why the heck do you think they want my lens too?
never had issues with my hood, as I do not use it. The Nocticron seems quite resilient to flare, and for lens protection I use a B+W UV haze filter.

zensu

never had issues with my hood, as I do not use it. The Nocticron seems quite resilient to flare, and for lens protection I use a B+W UV haze filter.
Take my advice and keep the lens hood off this marvelous lens! I'm finding out how well this lens handles flare (superbly) and realizing I can shade the lens with my hand on the rare occasions I see any hint of flare. :thumbs:
I've had my Olympus EP5 converted to IR and I mounted a B&W Clear filter for protection, hopefully this lens and my P/L 15mm F1.7 will both perform admirably in IR captures.

Knorp

Bought my lens in November last year and always have the lens hood on and so far no issues with glue leaking.
The trick to me seems not to over tighten that small screw. There is amazingly little force required to keep the hood securely attached.
But as always, YMMV

Best regards.

Mine arrived this morning.

What do you folk do when using it on a camera with OIS such as the Olympus E-M5?

Lens OIS on or off?

Tony

Knorp

Mine arrived this morning.

What do you folk do when using it on a camera with OIS such as the Olympus E-M5?

Lens OIS on or off?

Tony
Congrats, Tony ! It's a great lens and I'm sure you'll like it as much as I do !

FWIW I'm using Oly's IBIS exclusively so I'm turning off lens OIS.

Kind regards.