The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware Update v1.4 for E-M1

Knorp

You know the procedure: hook up your E-M1 to your computer and start the updater ... :eek:
Not much to be found yet on the support sites though, but I've just loaded v1.4.

Anyways, here's the link to what's changed: Ver.1.4 (May.21 2014)

Kind regards.

Godfrey

I've had precious little time to experiment, but fitting the 35 Macro and 11-22mm, AF does seem a bit snappier and more positive than with v1.3 fw.

G

Matix

Interesting, every time I download the Oly Updater, it says it is version 1.3, even if I see the 1.4 prior to the download. Tried the UK and the JP sites, same thing.... any ideas guys?

Phil

Matix

Hi Phil,

I'm a bit confused what you're trying to do, so let me go through the required steps for you:
- make sure you have a 'fully' loaded battery in your E-M1
- connect your E-M1 with the USB-cable to your computer
- power up the camera
- check the LCD display)
- select <Storage>, press <Ok> button
- start 'Olympus Digital Camera Updater' (current version 1.06)
- wait for the Updater to find your camera.
- check the line with /Device/Model name/Current version/Newer version/
- hopefully under /Newer version/ it reads <1.4>
- be aware the highlighting might obscure the text (on my iMac it's a yellow/orange marking)
- proceed updating ...

i guess this is all familiar, my apologies, but perhaps we find the point where it goes wrong.

Kind regards.
No, no apology needed... I am still learning this camera, all suggestions are welcome... but...

One difference is the PC vs Apple maybe? The steps I took were to get the latest updater, I had one from firmware 1.3 and it simply said there was no update needed.

Went to the Olympus sites and downloaded the most current uploader, it was talking about firmware 1.4 etc, so I set the camera as you suggested, ran the updater... and it said the firmware was 1.3, nothing to do here....

So, I do have the 1.3 firmware installed, downloaded the latest updater, on my computer is says the Updater.exe is todays date.. but then the firmeare it wants to update is 1.3... very strange.

As noted, I had no problem updating from 1.2 to 1.3 only a month ago...

Will try in the light of a new day I guess.

Phil

Godfrey

Hey Phil,

I'm on Apple systems, OS X v10.9.3.
I used the Olympus Camera Updater v1.06.

- Started the updater
- put a freshly charged battery into the camera
- connected the camera to the computer on Storage mode
- updater recognized the camera; the updater showed it was running fw v1.3 and fw v1.4 was available
- clicked the update button
- ... waited a day and an age while the circle spun ...
- finally the "installing" display appeared on the camera LCD
- then the camera said OK
- according to instructions, disconnected then powered off the camera
- clicked the finished button in the updater and it quit

G

k-hawinkler

Hey Phil,

I'm on Apple systems, OS X v10.9.3.
I used the Olympus Camera Updater v1.06.

- Started the updater
- put a freshly charged battery into the camera
- connected the camera to the computer on Storage mode
- updater recognized the camera; the updater showed it was running fw v1.3 and fw v1.4 was available
- clicked the update button
- ... waited a day and an age while the circle spun ...
- finally the "installing" display appeared on the camera LCD
- then the camera said OK
- according to instructions, disconnected then powered off the camera
- clicked the finished button in the updater and it quit

G

:thumbs: Thanks. Same here. Works like a charm. :thumbs:

Matix

:thumbs: Thanks. Same here. Works like a charm. :thumbs:
Damn and @$%$#@##, so that means I have to go and purchase an Apple computer.... haha... Will try today, maybe the PC updater had to filter through the system first. Thanks for the help folks...

Phil

Knorp

No, no apology needed... I am still learning this camera, all suggestions are welcome... but...

One difference is the PC vs Apple maybe? The steps I took were to get the latest updater, I had one from firmware 1.3 and it simply said there was no update needed.

Went to the Olympus sites and downloaded the most current uploader, it was talking about firmware 1.4 etc, so I set the camera as you suggested, ran the updater... and it said the firmware was 1.3, nothing to do here....

So, I do have the 1.3 firmware installed, downloaded the latest updater, on my computer is says the Updater.exe is todays date.. but then the firmeare it wants to update is 1.3... very strange.

As noted, I had no problem updating from 1.2 to 1.3 only a month ago...

Will try in the light of a new day I guess.

Phil
Hi there Phil,

sorry for chickening out: but I feared I was pointing out the obvious.
I've been accused of patronising before ... :( :eek: :cry:

As you noticed there seems to be a difference between the updater for Mac and PC.
Also, as I mentioned in my initial post - at the time there was little to nothing to be found on the Olympus websites.
Perhaps the PC updater you were trying to install was not yet 'updated' ?
I'm sure it will work out alright.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Hi there Phil,

sorry for chickening out: but I feared I was pointing out the obvious.
I've been accused of patronising before ... :( :eek: :cry:

As you noticed there seems to be a difference between the updater for Mac and PC.
Also, as I mentioned in my initial post - at the time there was little to nothing to be found on the Olympus websites.
Perhaps the PC updater you were trying to install was not yet 'updated' ?
I'm sure it will work out alright.

Kind regards.
Firmware Update Instructions

scott kirkpatrick

On my PC, the updater is version 1.03, and it loaded 1.4 on my E-M1. It took longer than I expected. Perhaps because of a slow download from the web.

scott

Elderly

Are you trying to update via Olympus Viewer 3 on a PC?
If so - go to 'Update' (top left of screen, 6th in) and click on 'update'.
It then gives you the choice of 'Update Software' or 'Update Camera',
choose 'Software' to check if you have the latest version.

I've NO idea if it's at all relevant, but I thought I would mention it.

Matix

Are you trying to update via Olympus Viewer 3 on a PC?
If so - go to 'Update' (top left of screen, 6th in) and click on 'update'.
It then gives you the choice of 'Update Software' or 'Update Camera',
choose 'Software' to check if you have the latest version.

I've NO idea if it's at all relevant, but I thought I would mention it.
Thanks Elderly, I seem to be doing the right thing but the Updater does not want to recognize the update. I for sure have the 1.3 version now, but it says it does not need to be updated.

Here is what I get.

And when I proceed with this downloaded EXE file

scott kirkpatrick

Those screenshots suggest that your updater is up to date, but don't say anything about your E-M1. Now start the updater, attach the camera with its Olympus USB cable and the update will be installed...

scott

Last edited:

dhsimmonds

Phil
Once you have connected the E-M1 and set the camera to "storage" (don't forget to press the OK button on camera to activate your command) the update will provide the instruction right the way through to when you see OK on the camera LCD which can take up to 10 minutes depending on broadband speed.

Just before the OK there will be a diagrammatic in colour on the LCD warning you NOT to disconnect the camera.

After the OK sign you can disconnect the camera USB and switch off the camera. then switch it back on again and you will find that v1.4 is updated.

Matix

SUCCESS!!

For whatever reason, the Updater would not work... So I took Elderly's advice and used the Viewer, also 1.3 which I had never installed before... it worked a treat. Dowload of firmware with no complaints from the PC, 2 min to download and 1.5 min to complete. Thanks to the speed of fibre internet...no pain, but it is a bit scary relying on a cable while it does this process, I much prefer the downloading of a BIN file to the card like Panasonic, but as long as it works.

No idea why this time, the second since I bought the camera, I had problems... the Updater worked when going to 1.3 but it is done.

Thanks everyone for the input, I thought I was losing the plot... but that is another story.

Phil

k-hawinkler

SUCCESS!!

For whatever reason, the Updater would not work... So I took Elderly's advice and used the Viewer, also 1.3 which I had never installed before... it worked a treat. Dowload of firmware with no complaints from the PC, 2 min to download and 1.5 min to complete. Thanks to the speed of fibre internet...no pain, but it is a bit scary relying on a cable while it does this process, I much prefer the downloading of a BIN file to the card like Panasonic, but as long as it works.

No idea why this time, the second since I bought the camera, I had problems... the Updater worked when going to 1.3 but it is done.

Thanks everyone for the input, I thought I was losing the plot... but that is another story.

Phil

I am glad it worked for you, Phil.
It's certainly a bit nerveracking to update that way.

It's probably a good idea not to update the camera or a lens during a thunder storm. It seems this year we have an early start of the monsoon season here in the mountains of northern New Mexico. The rain is most welcome and urgently needed. But it's still best to unplug electrical equipment from the power grid when the lightning and thunder gets closer. :D