The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GH4

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Philip Bloom has a video review of the GH4 on his website. As a videographer, he sees things very much from that angle of view, but it's funny how he struggles to find disadvantages with the GH4 compared the only real competitor at the moment (4K recorded internally), the Canon 1 DC. I don't know how many times he repeats that the Canon has a larger sensor before he finally comes to the not so unimportant issue about the price: The Canon is almost 10 times as expensive as the Panasonic :)

hot

I like my LUMIXes (I never would buy such an expensive Canon), GH4 makes WONDERFUL 4K videos.

GH4 + Tamron 60mm/2 macro

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a quote from a Digitalversus review:

"If we had a sixth star in our rating system, the GH4 would get it. More than a simple technological showpiece, it’s a formidable, relentless tool that could serve any photographer or videographer with a sort of savage efficacy that appears to know no bounds. If the GH3 ever left any room for doubt, the GH4 does not: there’s no serious competition in the SLR and hybrid worlds, especially when it comes to video. To find any better, you’re looking at a five-digit budget. The GH4′s only real shortcoming? Perhaps a lack of soul…"

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

Charles Wood

Ditto those comments. I purchased the GH4 specifically for it's video capabilities but I'm finding I use it for stills more frequently. It's not as small as other mirrorless designs but small enough. For those of us wanting SOA video in a small body, it's the Swiss Army Knife of small camera bodies.

hot

Same opinion! GH4 is big, but phantastic! For less weight (and no 4K) you can buy GX7.

I've both - one better than the other.

Arne Hvaring

Some nice shots there Uwe, from Paris I suppose. How do you find noise at base ISO with this camera? I,ve been using the EM-1 with base ISO 200 and am getting some disturbing noise even at that speed.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Some nice shots there Uwe, from Paris I suppose.

No, Germany , Hannover and near by.

>I,ve been using the EM-1 with base ISO 200 and am getting some disturbing noise even at that speed.

These cameras are more grainy even at low ISO (shadows and sky)

Arne Hvaring

ustein;592584 These cameras are more grainy even at low ISO (shadows and sky)[/QUOTE said:
Exactly, but I wonder if the lower base ISO of the GH4 makes much of a difference in noise/grain compared to the twice as high base ISO of the Oly. If you or anyone else have had the chance to compare the two it would be interesting to hear the results.

G43

The low ISO extension (ISO 160 approx) on EM1 actually results in lower noise appearance but on the cost of reduced DR. Highlight clipping appears more often if not critically exposed. I find it better just to use a dash of NR in post.
As much as a pull of 25 NR in ACR seems OK. Lesser will do if ETTR.

Arne Hvaring

That is by and large what I do too (although in PhotoNinja which I find superior to LR) but it would be nice to not to have to do this extra step on a great number of images. After all 43 has been around for several years, and one would think that routine NR at base ISO should be a thing of the past.

G43

Depends Arne. The more ETTR you are able to control without clipping the less NR is necessary. I apply NR only in some cases where ETTL perhaps were optimum for the exposure.
Care about your metering is even more important the smaller the pixels get.
MFT at 16 MP is a mad bull to temper :)

G43

Wish to mention that the most correct exposure IMO is always exposure for your highlight and let the shadows fall where they fall.
In curves where you put in your contrast in PP you may always lower the highlight threshold and simulate a ISO LOW setting in your camera. The lesser noise is always a result. It is simply avoiding any channel to clip.
I see the ISO LOW more as a half stop ND filter.

hot

All pictures ooG (out of GH4), no post processing, Lumix 14-140 und Tamron 60mm (Canon mount)
Red roses - for a pretty & nice girl I only know from pictures, buuuut I'll meet her this weekend - gloriavictoria! ;)